Lorraine

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like better?

2. 2. Which band is more talented?

• Rush
    • The Police
    • Both talented each in their unique way
  3. 3. Who is a better drummer?

I see torches in the distance. A crowd must be assembling.

Where are my gallant defenders?

Gathering and tailgating for a show? I am here however :madra: cus that show periscope thingy really doesn't interest me much to be honest... :blink:
  • Like 1

Gathering and tailgating for a show? I am here however :madra: cus that show periscope thingy really doesn't interest me much to be honest... :blink:

Can you actually see Rush well, or does the periscope feed keep moving because someone is holding it up all the time?

This reminds me of one of my favourite Onion parody articles, from back in 1999: "You Know, I Used To Be Kind Of Cool Once" by Sting :laughing guy:

http://www.theonion....cool-once-10932

By chance I saw The Police twice on the Synchronicity tour! Once in Detroit with a cousin, and at the last Police Picnic day-long show they did in Toronto. I think they did the Police Picnic here on the last three tours--instead of a regular gig, they were all day festivals with five or six other bands. Toronto was the first place they broke in north America, and they always had a strong following here/liked to thank the fans with something extra.

Here's an old news report on the one they did in 1981:

Edited by gudbuytjane

Can you actually see Rush well, or does the periscope feed keep moving because someone is holding it up all the time?

I say you can't and its nauseating at least for me. Its like the CA DVD narrowed to the 10th power and on steroids and the sound is awful. Just my opinion. I would rather just mostly stay away and have managed to do so for the most part. I am glad others enjoy it but its just not for me. I would rather just go to bed and when I do I am on my phone and can't see it anyway. I have to be on my laptop in the living room and it just isn't worth staying up for me. Besides I may accidentally say something about the vocals and have the "Witch Hunt" lived out on me. I will have my chance in 6 days to see the real thing and that is enough for me. I would like to say hi to Catherine however but that's about it... :)
  • Like 1

Which show are you going to?

Atlanta. I will leave very early next Tuesday morning to get there hopefully by 1:00 or so in the afternoon. I have a free room through a contact of my wife's about 15 minutes drive from the venue. I have been communicating with Mr JD about some other logistics to meet up and get to the show. he has been awesome. I really want to do this as inexpensively as possible obviously. I would like to relax with as many other TRFers as possible all afternoon at the meet up site and then head to the show. I will get a good nights sleep and take my time getting out of town and getting home. Most likely leaving after rush hour the next morning. I am nervous with the meds and so forth but with Mr. JD's kindness I may only have to drive once there a very limited amount. Love Rush folks and the members here. Hope to meet as many as possible there...
  • Like 3

Atlanta. I will leave very early next Tuesday morning to get there hopefully by 1:00 or so in the afternoon. I have a free room through a contact of my wife's about 15 minutes drive from the venue. I have been communicating with Mr JD about some other logistics to meet up and get to the show. he has been awesome. I really want to do this as inexpensively as possible obviously. I would like to relax with as many other TRFers as possible all afternoon at the meet up site and then head to the show. I will get a good nights sleep and take my time getting out of town and getting home. Most likely leaving after rush hour the next morning. I am nervous with the meds and so forth but with Mr. JD's kindness I may only have to drive once there a very limited amount. Love Rush folks and the members here. Hope to meet as many as possible there...

I hope you have a good time. That's nice of JD to help you out like that.

Looks like quite a few are going to Atlanta. Unlike Seattle, where no one is going. They are all going to Portland instead. Was it something I said?

• Like 1

I hope you have a good time. That's nice of JD to help you out like that.

Looks like quite a few are going to Atlanta. Unlike Seattle, where no one is going. They are all going to Portland instead. Was it something I said?

I hope you don't take this a some kind of b.s but i would love to meet you as much as any soul here. If it were only possible. I am hoping in Atlanta I might meet...

Mr. JD (his daughter too I think)

Ayn Rand (aka aikenrooster)

CTTH (aka DPR)

Mara

bathory?

and hopefully a bunch more. We shall see. I am going with my eyes wide open and just want to chill and enjoy and getting away for even a short period may do me some good. Just the 6 hour drive there and back may help. I bought the Chronicles CD yesterday for the trip and i have a few live boots that should get me "In The Mood" and keep me entertained as well. Wish I had ATWAS on CD though... :)

• Like 2

I was just looking through the garage a bit and found Rush Replay X 3!! Hell, I didn't even realize that I owned that. As far as I know I have never watched it or listened to it. When did i get this? It has the CD from Grace Under Pressure tour which may come in handy on my road trip. I think that is a pretty good one if I am not mistaken. Woohoo!! Senility setting in apparently at the Narps residence. How could I not know I had this thing?... Geezy peezy :sigh: :codger: Edited by Narps
  • Like 2

85 posts thus far Lorraine. Not bad for your first day back and first poll in a while. Well done. As a certain Rush "classic" states... That's Entertainment!! :dweez:
  • Like 1

If Bathory shows up in Atlanta with his leather pants and three sizes too small Hemispheres shirt, someone grab a picture of him.

Pics or it didn't happen.

I will be on it like flies on you know what. I really would love to meet the guy. Seems a fascinating young fella to me...

I'll probably get run off the forum for good for this one but anyway....

The Police is one of the many bands I loved in the early eighties, and one of the reasons why I never paid much attention to Rush.

So, I had to answer honestly. Back then, for me (and I emphasize for me), Rush couldn't compete for very long up against other bands.

I am with you Lorraine, I was rather late to the party even with the Police. I liked that Sting wrote songs that made you think, anyone who got people to look into Jung and Arthur Koestler was worth my time. That's why I love Rush so much now, their songs are so different and about such diverse topics as science, chemistry and even man's inhumanity to man. Nowadays I would put Rush ahead of them but I still think the Police are cool :finbar:

And yes, I thought Sting was easy on the eyes, probably that english accent too :coy:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

f**k the Police

Nah man. I dig the police, and Stu is a really fine drummer.

• Like 1

The police are one of the most bland bands. On record that is..........never seen em live.

Rush all the way.

Mick

I just never got it. I always thought they were just above me. Not unlike Dylan I suppose...

they're just.........boring And sting's faux Jamaican accent is just so damn annoying.

Mick

Here's Sting in every Police song:

AYYY o

AYYY o

AYYY o

:facepalm:

Summers is just an average rythym guitarist. Nothing he did with The Police that was impressive.

Copeland is the one redeeming musician out of the bunch that showed something.

• Like 1

The police are one of the most bland bands. On record that is..........never seen em live.

Rush all the way.

Mick

I just never got it. I always thought they were just above me. Not unlike Dylan I suppose...

they're just.........boring And sting's faux Jamaican accent is just so damn annoying.

Mick

AYYY o

AYYY o

AYYY o

Summers is just an average rythym guitarist. Nothing he did with The Police that was impressive.

so unimpressive that Alex Lifeson didn't completely rip him off for the Grace Under Pressure album.

• Like 1

Rush all the way.

Mick

Mick

AYYY o

AYYY o

AYYY o

so unimpressive that Alex Lifeson didn't completely rip him off for the Grace Under Pressure album.

This is good to know... :)

Rush all the way.

Mick

Mick

AYYY o

AYYY o

AYYY o

...and thus began the decline into the dark synth period.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet

Rush all the way.

Mick

Mick

AYYY o

AYYY o

AYYY o

BOO... :boo hiss:

Different strokes for different folks is all, I think.

I also think they grew tremendously during the whole of the 1980s, in terms of perfecting their craft as musicians.

• Like 4

Rush all the way.

Mick

Mick

AYYY o

AYYY o

AYYY o

BOO... :boo hiss:

Different strokes for different folks is all, I think.

I also think they grew tremendously during the whole of the 1980s, in terms of perfecting their craft as musicians.

the 80's is what cemented me as a Rush fan.

So i can't fault it.

Mick

• Like 3

The Police would still be together if all had went well.

Their brief career spanned the worst years of my life. I didn't think I would be able to listen to them again, but time heals all wounds, and a lot of decades have come and gone.

:musicnote: Devil and the deep blue sea behind me

Vanish in the air you'll never find me ... :musicnote:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

Their brief career spanned the worst years of my life. I didn't think I would be able to listen to them again, but time heals all wounds, and a lot of decades have come and gone.

I don't think that was meant to be. They had so many personal issues and too many ego clashes to make it last very long. Too bad. It would have been interesting to see what they would have done had they stayed together.

• Like 2

I was like that with Guns and Roses of all things. It reminded me of someone and a really dark place. But one day I put all that aside and Used to Love her made me smile (that's a joke btw) the police just remind me of high school and college, when they were still putting out music. Sometimes it's melancholy and I turn it off, but it's great music. Don't totally rob yourself :)

Neil always has been in my top five drummers, but Stu brole in there years ago. He has one thing Neil just never had, and that's groove. Some drummers have it, some don't. It doesn't mean one is better than the other, its just style.and flair points. A lot of rock drummers don't have it, especially guys trained in classical.
  • Like 1