Is this 200 gram vinyl as well?

YYZumbi

You shouldn't worry that much about 20 grams.

And still I do...

What's the big deal about it? Does it sound any different?

And still I do...

It's better quality.

And still I do...

It's better quality.

Quality in what sense? I seriously don't know.

And still I do...

It's better quality.

Do you even listen to vinyl? If you do, then you should understand. If you don't listen to vinyl, then it's to hard to explain.

I will seriously never understand what the big deal is with this. Its beyond my knowledge obviously. Maybe I need to go weigh my almost 40 year old vinyl's to be sure I didn't get ripped off back in the day. Just don't get it. Out...

My understanding is that the heavier vinyl is more difficult to warp and with the added thickness, they can press the grooves deeper therefore taking longer to wear out. In terms of sound, my setup is mediocre and not sure how much of a difference it makes, but it becomes more obvious on higher end systems.
  • Like 1

I will seriously never understand what the big deal is with this. Its beyond my knowledge obviously. Maybe I need to go weigh my almost 40 year old vinyl's to be sure I didn't get ripped off back in the day. Just don't get it. Out...

180 gram and 200 gram LPs' are just more substantial and more stable. Personally, I cant hear much of a difference between the old and the new. My best sounding LPs' are not the new 180 and 200 gram ones. In fact, I think the old pressing of AFTK sounds better than the new one. I can think of about 10 other "old" LPs' that sound much better than any of the new pressings I have. I think the heavy vinyl is there to make you feel better about spending $20.00 to $25.00 on a new record.

• Like 1

And still I do...

It's better quality.

Do you even listen to vinyl? If you do, then you should understand. If you don't listen to vinyl, then it's to hard to explain.

No offense, but that answer sounds a little evasive. Do you understand the difference?

Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 1

And still I do...

It's better quality.

No offense, but that answer sounds a little evasive. Do you understand the difference?

:popcorn: I'll wait for this one... :)
  • Like 1

There's a school of thought that believes the grooves can be cut deeper on heavier vinyl, leading to better sq. Not sure if that's true. Maybe less turntable rumble. I think there are many factors that ensure a great sounding pressing or conversely, a bad pressing. Contaminants in recycled vinyl, mastering, how old a stamper is and other factors I'm not aware of contribute to the quality. 200 g may even be overkill and a cynical marketing ploy. I wouldn't sweat the 20 gram difference one bit. All our old records came in at 120-140 maybe less. Having said that, I sure do love the feel of this new heavy wax and the few I've listened to are the most quiet (as in surface noise) records I've ever had.

There's a school of thought that believes the grooves can be cut deeper on heavier vinyl, leading to better sq. Not sure if that's true. Maybe less turntable rumble. I think there are many factors that ensure a great sounding pressing or conversely, a bad pressing. Contaminants in recycled vinyl, mastering, how old a stamper is and other factors I'm not aware of contribute to the quality. 200 g may even be overkill and a cynical marketing ploy. I wouldn't sweat the 20 gram difference one bit. All our old records came in at 120-140 maybe less. Having said that, I sure do love the feel of this new heavy wax and the few I've listened to are the most quiet (as in surface noise) records I've ever had.

You hit the nail on the head. The quality of the actual vinyl and the quality of the pressing make much, much more difference that the weight of the vinyl. Not to mention the quality of the original production. Garbage in...garbage out.

And still I do...

It's better quality.

It's also dependent on your turntable and cartridge. A cheap tt and budget cartridge isn't going to pick up the better detail a 200g pressing can give.

And still I do...

It's better quality.

Sure I used to years ago when I had a turntable. But that doesn't answer my question at all.

If you stack 3 or 4 quarters on the center label, it should help a bit. To reduce the wow and flutter, you know...

And still I do...

It's better quality.

It's also dependent on your turntable and cartridge. A cheap tt and budget cartridge isn't going to pick up the better detail a 200g pressing can give.

I better quality cartridge (more so than a turntable) does make a difference, but vinyl quality and production of the recording determines sound quality more than anything else. Like I said before, I have many more "old" 120-140 gram pressings that sound much better than any 200 gram pressing I have bought.

Grams don't make a difference in quality IMO. I've had black vinyls, colored vinyls, and picture discs, and to my ears, the sound quality all depends on how it was mastered for vinyl IMO. I have colored vinyls and clear vinyls that sound as good as regular black vinyls. Also, a decent turntable with a good cartridge (I have an $180 U-Turn Orbit turntable with an Audio Technica AT91BL cartridge that works great for me) would also contribute to the sound quality.

Really, the 20 gram difference all comes down to it being less likely to warp due to exposure to sunlight, heat, etc. or mediocre handling and care over the years. But any kind of vinyl regardless of how much grams it is should be taken really good care of to begin with.

I have bought almost hundred of vinyls that where 180 and 200 grams. As I pick one from the shelf I don't remember what weight it is, and when the music plays it doesn't matter. How the product is made is far more important to the sound quality (something new to ponder about).

Warped records shouldn't pose a problem unless severely warped. A well set up turntable will let the needle follow the groove regardless.

Grams don't make a difference in quality IMO. I've had black vinyls, colored vinyls, and picture discs, and to my ears, the sound quality all depends on how it was mastered for vinyl IMO. I have colored vinyls and clear vinyls that sound as good as regular black vinyls. Also, a decent turntable with a good cartridge (I have an $180 U-Turn Orbit turntable with an Audio Technica AT91BL cartridge that works great for me) would also contribute to the sound quality.

Really, the 20 gram difference all comes down to it being less likely to warp due to exposure to sunlight, heat, etc. or mediocre handling and care over the years. But any kind of vinyl regardless of how much grams it is should be taken really good care of to begin with.

Many people would prefer coloured vinyls not just for their aesthetic collectability but chances were greater that the coloured vinyl was virgin vinyl and black has a greater chance of being made of recycled old records.

It should be the same lp as the other just with the extra goodies!! I just ordered the XL version

Thank you! You are the only one here that can answer a question here it seems...