Jethro Tull UK tour 2006

Jovitull

I know there is a few Tull fans on here so I thought you'd like to know that tickets for this tour have gone on sale this morning

FEB

27 Perth Concert Hall - 01738 472 702

MAR

1 Edinburgh Usher Hall 0131 228 1155

2 Birmingham Symphony Hall 0121 780 3333

3 Newcastle City Hall 0191 2612 606

4 Manchester Apollo 0870 401 8000

5 Blackpool Opera House 01253 292029

7 Bradford St. George's Hall 01274 432000

8 Hull City Hall 01482 226655

10-11 London Shepherds Bush Empire 0870 7712000

12 Basingstoke Anvil 01256 844 244

13 Brighton Dome 01273 709 709

15 Southhampton Guildhall 023 8063 2601

16 Bristol Colston Hall 0117 922 3686

17 Cardiff St David's Hall 029 2087 84444

18 Cheltenham Town Hall 01242 227 979

19 Oxford New Theatre 0870 606 3500

21 Ipswich Regent 01473 433 100

22 Peterborough Broadway 01733 316 100

I've just ordered tickets for both nights a Shepherds Bush and got front row both times so if you order now you should get great seats! Good luck.

London tickets can be got online from Ticketweb http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/

Sometimes i truly do scratch my heads when some of these bands that have been around forever just keep slogging on year after boring year. I saw jehtro tull in 1987, and while it was a decent show, I did get the feeling they were already pretty well passed their prime. Here they are getting ready to go on another tour, 19 years after even that. And Yes still tour too and even the Moody Blues sometimes and the Rolling Stones, but have any of them made anything worthwhile in the last 20-25 years? I mean, if you're still making quality music and can still perform at a respectable level (I'm thinking of a band that begins with the letter R as a notable exception), that's one thing, but otherwise I think some of these bands really need to give up the ghost. I guess that's not really fair. If they want to keep touring and making money off of previous success (because these bands would NOT be playing as big places as they are now based on recent material), who am I to tell them they can't, and really, more power to them.

It's just that there have been bands like these that have come around in recent years that I was curious about seeing, but in the end I just could never get it up to see a band 20 or even 30 years past their prime - I fear it would only serve as a reminder of how I wish I could have seen them back when they were still making exciting music and performing at an optimal level back in their heyday. Many would argue that it's better than nothing, but I disagree. I would rather fantasize about seeing Yes perform in 1973 or the Moody Bules in 1969 or the Rolling Stones back in 1971 then see them now and be disappointed by aging musicians who can't sing or play like they used to playing crappy new material and producing inferior versions of their more classic material. Maybe not a very popular opinion (which has never really stopped me before wink.gif ), but there it is...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 15 2005, 10:37 AM)
Sometimes i truly do scratch my heads when some of these bands that have been around forever just keep slogging on year after boring year. I saw jehtro tull in 1987, and while it was a decent show, I did get the feeling they were already pretty well passed their prime. Here they are getting ready to go on another tour, 19 years after even that. And Yes still tour too and even the Moody Blues sometimes and the Rolling Stones, but have any of them made anything worthwhile in the last 20-25 years? I mean, if you're still making quality music and can still perform at a respectable level (I'm thinking of a band that begins with the letter R as a notable exception), that's one thing, but otherwise I think some of these bands really need to give up the ghost. I guess that's not really fair. If they want to keep touring and making money off of previous success (because these bands would NOT be playing as big places as they are now based on recent material), who am I to tell them they can't, and really, more power to them.

It's just that there have been bands like these that have come around in recent years that I was curious about seeing, but in the end I just could never get it up to see a band 20 or even 30 years past their prime - I fear it would only serve as a reminder of how I wish I could have seen them back when they were still making exciting music and performing at an optimal level back in their heyday. Many would argue that it's better than nothing, but I disagree. I would rather fantasize about seeing Yes perform in 1973 or the Moody Bules in 1969 or the Rolling Stones back in 1971 then see them now and be disappointed by aging musicians who can't sing or play like they used to playing crappy new material and producing inferior versions of their more classic material. Maybe not a very popular opinion (which has never really stopped me before wink.gif ), but there it is...

Whilst of course I don't agree with you I do kind of hear what you are saying. Latter day Tull is a bit of a story of Peaks and Troughs so if you catch them on a good night they can be amazing and if you go to a not so good night then some big chinks in the 'ol Tull armour can be exposed.

Having said that though, I don't think anyone but the most naive or casual fan is going to go to a show now and expect to see the dynamic and flamboyant Ian Anderson of 30 years ago. Unfortunately his voice hasn't survived the ravages of time very well but they do still play excellent music.

Whilst of course I don't agree with you I do kind of hear what you are saying. Latter day Tull is a bit of a story of Peaks and Troughs so if you catch them on a good night they can be amazing and if you go to a not so good night then some big chinks in the 'ol Tull armour can be exposed.

Having said that though, I don't think anyone but the most naive or casual fan is going to go to a show now and expect to see the dynamic and flamboyant Ian Anderson of 30 years ago. Unfortunately his voice hasn't survived the ravages of time very well but they do still play excellent music.

Which is why I'm just not interested, no offense. It's really pretty individual - Rush still has it - still phenomenal musicianship and Geddy sounds as good as he ever did, but not all are so lucky. I remember seeing Paul McCartney on Live Aid and was actually impressed by how his singing and playing has held up. Of course he's playing songs that are 30-35 years old, but that's a different matter. Watching Pink Floyd was a different experience - while it was great to see them on stage all together since it had been SO long, Roger Waters voice hadn't held up very well. David Gilmour's voicee wasn't what it once was, but it was far better than Roger's. If you've ever heard Eric Burdon of the Animals sign recently, you'll really be in for a dissapointment. It's not that I don't have respect for these great bands anymore, I just think some of them are a bit past their expiration date. If they enjoy it and people still want to pay to see them, and if the people enjoy it, that's wonderful, but I generally won't be counted among their ranks...

if you could get all the bands that played at woodstock (who are still alive) and have them all get together for a reunion event, i wouldn't be interested - the music wouldn't be the same and the times wouldn't be the same. now if i had a time machine to go back to the actual woodstock, that's different. otherwise, it's a sad reminder of what was and what isn't anymore...

Archived