The ON/OFF thread...

greyfriar

I'll be off in Pittsburgh for the next few days. My dad has been hospitalized with some heart trouble and we are needed over there. It's hard to tell the level of the situation until we get there so it's difficult. :(

It's rough when parents get old. One thing after another.

Hope it's not too bad.

Thanks Lorraine! Dad is 90 and had open heart surgery last year. That went well but his heart is still weakening some and he is having some congestive heart failure. His Dr. is very optimistic, but then he is one of those type of Drs. I am well aware he is 90 + but my sisters are further away and not always realizing Dad is aging. It lead to a day of texts and phone calls along the lines of "Talk to someone, the hospital needs to MAKE him better." Oh, ok, I hadn't thought of that. We all have adjustments to make I guess but it is tiring.He is doing well at the present for which I am very grateful.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

I'll be off in Pittsburgh for the next few days. My dad has been hospitalized with some heart trouble and we are needed over there. It's hard to tell the level of the situation until we get there so it's difficult. :(

Hope it's not too bad.

Thanks Lorraine! Dad is 90 and had open heart surgery last year. That went well but his heart is still weakening some and he is having some congestive heart failure. His Dr. is very optimistic, but then he is one of those type of Drs. I am well aware he is 90 + but my sister's are further away and not always realizing Dad is aging. It lead to a day of texts and phone calls along the lines of "Talk to someone, the hospital needs to MAKE him better." Oh, ok, I hadn't thought of that. We all have adjustments to make I guess but it is tiring.He is doing well at the present for which I am very grateful.

Hope it's not too bad.

Thanks Lorraine! Dad is 90 and had open heart surgery last year. That went well but his heart is still weakening some and he is having some congestive heart failure. His Dr. is very optimistic, but then he is one of those type of Drs. I am well aware he is 90 + but my sisters are further away and not always realizing Dad is aging. It lead to a day of texts and phone calls along the lines of "Talk to someone, the hospital needs to MAKE him better." Oh, ok, I hadn't thought of that. We all have adjustments to make I guess but it is tiring.He is doing well at the present for which I am very grateful.

It IS very tiring. Often I think it is harder on the caregiver than the patient. Sometimes you need to make life decisions for a person who can no longer do so. It's not an easy position to be in.

You are all in my prayers, Becky. :hug2:

• Like 1

Hope it's not too bad.

Thanks Lorraine! Dad is 90 and had open heart surgery last year. That went well but his heart is still weakening some and he is having some congestive heart failure. His Dr. is very optimistic, but then he is one of those type of Drs. I am well aware he is 90 + but my sister's are further away and not always realizing Dad is aging. It lead to a day of texts and phone calls along the lines of "Talk to someone, the hospital needs to MAKE him better." Oh, ok, I hadn't thought of that. We all have adjustments to make I guess but it is tiring.He is doing well at the present for which I am very grateful.

:hug2: :hug2:

It's a very tough place to be. Sending you love, support and patience (because this situation calls for so much more that we often have, and everything seems beyond your control) from across the miles.

• Like 2

Hope it's not too bad.

It IS very tiring. Often I think it is harder on the caregiver than the patient. Sometimes you need to make life decisions for a person who can no longer do so. It's not an easy position to be in.

You are all in my prayers, Becky. :hug2:

Hope it's not too bad.

:hug2: :hug2:

It's a very tough place to be. Sending you love, support and patience (because this situation calls for so much more that we often have, and everything seems beyond your control) from across the miles.

Thanks so much for the support Lorraine and Sunny. Taking it day by day for now- I really appreciate the kind thoughts.

• Like 4

Blue, I hope your dad will be, and is able to get better by improving. To you, I've sent well wishes, too. You are welcome, anytime. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about your dad, blueschica. I hope you're both doing okay.

Thanks, VT! His heart function did improve enough to go to a rehab facility (which he hates :( ) so hopefully he will be home shortly. Fingers crossed. He is 90, but home is much better for him at this stage.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your dad, blueschica. I hope you're both doing okay.

Thanks, VT! His heart function did improve enough to go to a rehab facility (which he hates :( ) so hopefully he will be home shortly. Fingers crossed. He is 90, but home is much better for him at this stage.

Glad to hear that things have improved. Fingers crossed that he'll be home soon!

• Like 1

Good luck blues. Hope everything turns out OK for you all.

Thanks so much, Turbine!

• Like 2

Thanks so much, Turbine!

Good Luck Blueschica!

C6cwMLq.png

• Like 1

Thanks so much, Turbine!

Good Luck Blueschica!

C6cwMLq.png

Thank you, Orfie! ❤

• Like 1

Gotta disappear for a week or so. Moving mom into a nursing home. She has Alzheimer's and has no idea what's going on. Gonna be a shitshow.

Trying to stay positive, and reminding myself that it's for the best, but it's going to be tough. Oh well, such is life.

quote3.png?w=700

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPaKWihFs_Q

Later, gators.

tenor.gif?itemid=13020564

Edited by vaportrailer
  • Like 3

Gotta disappear for a week or so. Moving mom into a nursing home. She has Alzheimer's and has no idea what's going on. Gonna be a shitshow.

Trying to stay positive, and reminding myself that it's for the best, but it's going to be tough. Oh well, such is life.

quote3.png?w=700

Later, gators.

That is so hard. Is it all on you or do you have help? I hope you have help. No one should have to do things like that without support from someone somewhere.

I will keep you in my prayers. :hug2:

• Like 1

quote3.png?w=700

Later, gators.

I'm really sorry to hear this, vt. Hugs to you and your mom and family. :hug2: My mother in law had Alzheimers for years before she passed away and I feel your sorrow. I hope all goes well with the move.

• Like 2

quote3.png?w=700

Later, gators.

The Best to you and your Mom, VT! Good Luck!

lAFOroV.gif

• Like 2

Thanks for the well-wishes, folks!

It was hard, but it was the right thing to do and it had to be done. Luckily she seems to be thriving in her new environment. Thank doG.

I'm heading back at Christmas to visit with her and hopefully get some work done on the house. Ma was a pack rat!

All things considered, we were pretty lucky. My poor neighbour has some horror stories about his mom (Alzheimer's as well). His mom was all set to go into a home when one of his siblings cancelled it (concerned about their inheritance dwindling), which has seriously f***ed things up for that poor family.

Getting old blows, but for By-Tor's sake, make sure you have a plan (and a will). I recently saw a stat that claimed 75% of the elderly end up in a home/facility due to an accident, which is a helluva stat.

• Like 4

Thanks for the well-wishes, folks!

It was hard, but it was the right thing to do and it had to be done. Luckily she seems to be thriving in her new environment. Thank doG.

I'm heading back at Christmas to visit with her and hopefully get some work done on the house. Ma was a pack rat!

All things considered, we were pretty lucky. My poor neighbour has some horror stories about his mom (Alzheimer's as well). His mom was all set to go into a home when one of his siblings cancelled it (concerned about their inheritance dwindling), which has seriously f***ed things up for that poor family.

Getting old blows, but for By-Tor's sake, make sure you have a plan (and a will). I recently saw a stat that claimed 75% of the elderly end up in a home/facility due to an accident, which is a helluva stat.

I wondered how things were going for you.

James Dean had the best advice: Live fast, die young, and have a good looking corpse.

Getting old is for the birds. I witness your "stat" every day in the senior village my husband is in which has everything for all stages of elderly life (along with skilled nursing for those recovering from strokes, hip/knee replacements, etc.)

This is what I got sober for?

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1