POINTLESS POLL 10! Caress Of Steel vs. 2112

Segue Myles

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these classic seventies releases is the best?

2112 saved Rush from falling into oblivion, after Caress Of Steel left them in a very sticky situation. CoS bombed with the critics and the fans.

But they kept the same formula, and returned with 2112, only to win back their audience, and have their name immortalised in rock n roll history. And it only got better!

But with hindsight, is it possible that Caress Of Steel was simply the right album at the wrong time? Could it actually be the better album? Or is it a step back from what came before, and a lesser album than what came immediately after?

Is it a bit of both?

Let us know what YOU think (not what you think others want you to say).

Keep this classy (but a bit of squabbling keeps the popcorn crowd happy!).

And on that note:

:popcorn:

I will get the ball rolling: Caress Of Steel.

Currently worming its way into my top five...I understand why the audience was taken aback at the time, but today it really stands out as something strong!

2112 and not by a huge margin but I love everything on it cover to cover... :codger:
  • Like 3

2112 and not by a huge margin but I love everything on it cover to cover... :codger:

It is pretty close, but CoS wins because it has a crusty, raw energy I do not hear on any other Rush album! I just love it!

2112. I admittedly haven't given CoS a ton of listens...I'll have to soon to refresh my ears.

I personally think both are amazing!

If this was about epics, 2112 wins. But by a teensy margin I prefer side one of CoS to side two of 2112. Bastille Day is my favourite Rush song of the seventies!

2112 has 3 great tracks, the bookends being among their finest work ever. Caress Of Steel has The Fountain Of Lamneth but that's it for me. 2112 beats the crap out of CoS.
  • Like 1

Caress Of Steel #1. Hemispheres #1b.

2112 rules. My license plate is 2112. But gotta vote COS (my previous license plate was LAMNETH)

This. ^

I love Caress of Steel, and there are some individual things and select passages that are better than some things on 2112. But I think 2112 is just a little bit better album, on the whole.