As bands begin to retire....

fraroc

I've hypothesized that as big rock bands like Rush begin to get old and retire, demand for tribute bands will become slightly higher. I've observed that tribute bands of Led Zeppelin and The Beatles have the ability to play in slightly larger, 1000-1500 person venues, such as community theaters and concert halls while tribute bands for bands like Van Halen are limited to dive bars and nightclubs and sometimes free outdoor shows.

Now, this is all theory, but I assume that these Rush/Van Halen/KISS/ACDC tribute bands will see a boost in demand once the band they represent retires and they'll be able to pull in the fans, usually the younger fans, who never got to see the real band live before they retired.

Agreed. Rush will be difficult and expensive to replicate. You need 3 people including a geddy that can sing close to the original and play kick ass bass and keyboards. You'll also need all the equipment for all 3 members to trigger all the sounds needed. Then what will the real demand be. Not sure if rush fans will want a tribute band.

My wife runs The Palace Theater in Myrtle Beach SC and they have had one night shows for an Eagles and a Queen tribute band in the past couple months. Myrtle Beach off season is not exactly high demand for these kinds of shows but they both drew 1200 to 1500 each for the shows. Not bad actually. It was worth it for them to do for sure....

My wife runs The Palace Theater in Myrtle Beach SC and they have had one night shows for an Eagles and a Queen tribute band in the past couple months. Myrtle Beach off season is not exactly high demand for these kinds of shows but they both drew 1200 to 1500 each for the shows. Not bad actually. It was worth it for them to do for sure....

This right here is precisely why I think my prediction could be accurate. Tribute bands can never be the real thing, but at least they can provide to the best of their ability, how the real thing was live. It's not about playing someone else's music, it's about replicating the live experience and making your audience say "Wow, if I didn't know any better, I'd say I saw the real (INSERT BAND NAME HERE)"

I'd never waste a dime on any tribute band. It's the cheesiest shit, ever.

There are two Pink Floyd tributes touring currently that are supposedly just excellent. I saw Floyd in 92 or so. Why the f**k would I want to see some dorks pretending to be them?

Because like it or not, those bands are the closest thing to a Pink Floyd live experience, and if you don't like it, too bad.

There are two Pink Floyd tributes touring currently that are supposedly just excellent. I saw Floyd in 92 or so. Why the f**k would I want to see some dorks pretending to be them?

Because like it or not, those bands are the closest thing to a Pink Floyd live experience, and if you don't like it, too bad.

I'd rather watch a DVD of a live show and see the real performers.

And don't get me wrong, I love live music and have literally been to hundreds of shows. I just can't do the Elvis impersonator thing on any level, but like you said, that's too bad on me :)

I'd rather watch a DVD of a live show and see the real performers.

And don't get me wrong, I love live music and have literally been to hundreds of shows. I just can't do the Elvis impersonator thing on any level, but like you said, that's too bad on me :)

But the point is this, Elvis has been dead since 1977 and I'm sure that the majority of people who are becoming interested in Elvis now never, EVER had the opportunity to see him live.

Because like it or not, those bands are the closest thing to a Pink Floyd live experience......

That "closest thing" is still light-years away from the real thing.

• Like 2

When our genre of prog, hard rock, heavy metal and AOR comes to an end there will be no hope. Especially for the live experience

In my humble opinion many of our bands that are still together still try to put out new material.

Let's face it, it will never live up to the old classic shit.

We will always be able to listen to our favorite bands once they are gone forever. But let's face it. Arena Rock WILL BE DEAD!

Saying this while seeing Floyd without Roger? Ironic ;) Many would say that's a tribute band...what you saw in '92...or more accurately, a Gilmour solo band.

I saw them without Roger as well, don't get me wrong, love Gilmour, Mason, Wright as musicians, but that's like calling a band Rush without Neil.

Saying this while seeing Floyd without Roger? Ironic ;) Many would say that's a tribute band...what you saw in '92...or more accurately, a Gilmour solo band.

I saw them without Roger as well, don't get me wrong, love Gilmour, Mason, Wright as musicians, but that's like calling a band Rush without Neil.

Do I really want to see The Who without Keith and John in September?

YES! PETE!

• Like 2

YES! PETE!

I saw them in 82 or 83 when Kenny Jones took over for Keith Moon and they were still a world class rock band. Even though Keith and John were iconic in their own right, the band always was Roger and Pete. Edited by satchmothesnowdog
  • Like 1

YES! PETE!

I saw them in 82 or 83 when Kenny Jones took over for Keith Moon and they were still a world class rock band. Even though Keith and John were iconic in their own right, the band always was Roger and Pete.

OMG!! I saw them in 82 as well! I was 14 years old! T Bone Burnett and The Clash opened! It was the "It's Hard" Tour!! I LOVED IT!!!

Funny, I was watching the Billboards and a car commercial came on and it had "Eminence Front" in the background! Loved it!!!

• Like 2

YES! PETE!

I saw them in 82 or 83 when Kenny Jones took over for Keith Moon and they were still a world class rock band. Even though Keith and John were iconic in their own right, the band always was Roger and Pete.

OMG!! I saw them in 82 as well! I was 14 years old! T Bone Burnett and The Clash opened! It was the "It's Hard" Tour!! I LOVED IT!!!

Funny, I was watching the Billboards and a car commercial came on and it had "Eminence Front" in the background! Loved it!!!

I saw them in 82 too! The "Final" tour! :)

There's some awesome tribute bands around. The Atomic Punks are tighter than VH EVER was, Dog n Butterfly does a great Heart, Bonfire (the LA version) has Bon-era AC/DC down pat. Led Zepagain does a decent Zep in terms of looks and music but the singer isn't that great a Plant in terms of voice.

YES! PETE!

I saw them in 82 too! The "Final" tour! :)

The first of many, Final tours :LOL:

When our genre of prog, hard rock, heavy metal and AOR comes to an end there will be no hope. Especially for the live experience

In my humble opinion many of our bands that are still together still try to put out new material.

Let's face it, it will never live up to the old classic shit.

We will always be able to listen to our favorite bands once they are gone forever. But let's face it. Arena Rock WILL BE DEAD!

Are you trying to make my life miserable?

Once again f**k the world.