Question about the drum kit on this tour

x1yyz

So for the second set Neil is using a double bass kit. But every time I look at it, it seems like he's only using the right bass drum and not the left. I never see the left vibrating, and his left foot always seems to be on the high hat. Do you think the second bass drum is just for show?

Most likely just for show, he definitely has his double pedal set to one drum config.

Also is it me, or did he go back to pre-T4E set up with the Ride far to the right? That might alleviate some of his pain.

He doesn't play both basses all of the time....he does use his hihat...

Not sure I get what you're looking for?

I've now seen two shows from this tour, and every time I've looked at the kit he has never been playing the second bass, which is why I was asking if it was just for show.

I've now seen two shows from this tour, and every time I've looked at the kit he has never been playing the second bass, which is why I was asking if it was just for show.

Haven't a clue as to the answer to your question but I hope you had a great time at the show... :)
  • Like 1

Haven't a clue as to the answer to your question but I hope you had a great time at the show... :)

I did, thank you. It wasn't quite as good as Tulsa, mostly because how could anything compete with seeing all that as it was unveiled?! But just as I was wondering if all this travel was worth the effort the band came onstage and I realized that yes, it is.

Now I'm at the airport on my way to Austin, where I visit a friend and see another show :D

I did, thank you. It wasn't quite as good as Tulsa, mostly because how could anything compete with seeing all that as it was unveiled?! But just as I was wondering if all this travel was worth the effort the band came onstage and I realized that yes, it is.

Now I'm at the airport on my way to Austin, where I visit a friend and see another show :D

Dang I wish you were coming to Atlanta. Would love to meet you... :dweez:
  • Like 1

Most of the time, for a right handed drummer, your right foot will be on the kick drum pedal (drum on his right), and left foot would be on the high hat pedal (to open/close that claptrap!) So, for example, when Neil is playing "Tom Sawyer" at the beginning, it is closed highhat which he strikes with his right hand and keeps closed with his left foot (occasionally opening for "accents") Now, when he gets to the middle section of Tom Sawyer, where he does those famous drum fills - for the second one in particular, he moves his left foot from the high hat pedal to the left bass drum pedal and is playing that (16th note triplet quads - really fast: hand/hand/foot/foot repeat) He uses that left bass drum quite a bit in his drum solo as well. But yeah, most of the time, he is not using it.

Some metal drummers use that left kick alot more - some music has more constant double bass drums - an example would be Slayer (Dave Lombardo was a master of double kicks!)

Edited by cygnify
  • Like 1

I've also heard sound guys prefer drummers to use the double pedal on a single bass, even if you have double bass drums. I guess they're able to get a more consistent sound that way?

I have a double pedal - and I use it primarily for fills and for "big endings". Very rarely is it used during a song as i mainly play with a closed hi-hat (as cygnify mentioned above).

But make no mistake - there is no drum on either kit that is for show. He uses everything that is there. Just watch the Taking Center Stage video to see - and you can see just how much double kick he uses.

• Like 1

He was using single DW9000 pedals on each kick drum. There were a couple of overhead shots and a few of his feet and they were definitely single configuration. It would be pretty redundant to have a double pedal set up as the slave pedal would likely connect to the second kick rim for stability. I was actually a little disappointed in the tone of the second kit. There wasn't as much attack from the toms. It also looked like it was a struggle at times for Neil to play. 20 years of having the ride cymbal more up front took it's toll.

Great show in STL

Matt

• Like 2

I've also heard sound guys prefer drummers to use the double pedal on a single bass, even if you have double bass drums. I guess they're able to get a more consistent sound that way?

I have a double pedal - and I use it primarily for fills and for "big endings". Very rarely is it used during a song as i mainly play with a closed hi-hat (as cygnify mentioned above).

But make no mistake - there is no drum on either kit that is for show. He uses everything that is there. Just watch the Taking Center Stage video to see - and you can see just how much double kick he uses.

Yeah..leaving a mic open is a pain for sound guys, I even remember reading an article on Vinnie Coliauta when he was with Zappa saying that they were hesitant about letting him use a second bass because of it ...I like the feel of a double pedal, and the fact that I have that option without having to lug a second bass drum around. When I DID use two basses, I two Ludwig Speed Kings that were pretty fun!

He was using single DW9000 pedals on each kick drum. There were a couple of overhead shots and a few of his feet and they were definitely single configuration. It would be pretty redundant to have a double pedal set up as the slave pedal would likely connect to the second kick rim for stability. I was actually a little disappointed in the tone of the second kit. There wasn't as much attack from the toms. It also looked like it was a struggle at times for Neil to play. 20 years of having the ride cymbal more up front took it's toll.

Great show in STL

Matt

Ok...that solves the mystery from the other thread...we figured that he was using two separate pedals because we didn't see the cross bar in any of the frontal pics..but didn't know what he was using...the equipment lists aren't that extensive that we've found yet...

To the OP...when you play double bass drums, you aren't always playing that left kick...some guys are on it when they go to the ride for accents or what ever...I've noticed that Neil seems to keep his left foot on the hi-hat unless he's actually playing the other drum...If you get to watch again...watch him at the end of 2112, and you'll see him playing both.

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

Speed King pedals are the best! LOVE them! I'm using a Pearl double pedal now - much easier to transport than 2 kick drums.

Someone posed a question about the positioning of NP's ride cymbal. On the single kit, it's righ where the 2nd mounted tom would be, but has it more to the right over one of the floor toms in the double kick set. I've used both configuaratioons (when I'm on a kit with a single rack tom, I prefer having the ride positioned as NP does),and when I have 2 rack toms, it's to the right. For me, I prefer having it up front. My arm doesn't get nearly as fatigued - and I use the ride a lot as I love the sound of my 22" ping ride.

My biggest challenge would be getting used to playing that set up again after what he's been used to playing for so many years. Drumming is a lot of muscle memory (as my arms just instinctively know where each tom is, and where all the cymbals are).

We'll find out - getting a new kit that goes back to a simple single rack tom set up, which will have me repostion some of my cymbals. Haven't played that set up in 15 years.

Speed King pedals are the best! LOVE them! I'm using a Pearl double pedal now - much easier to transport than 2 kick drums.

Someone posed a question about the positioning of NP's ride cymbal. On the single kit, it's righ where the 2nd mounted tom would be, but has it more to the right over one of the floor toms in the double kick set. I've used both configuaratioons (when I'm on a kit with a single rack tom, I prefer having the ride positioned as NP does),and when I have 2 rack toms, it's to the right. For me, I prefer having it up front. My arm doesn't get nearly as fatigued - and I use the ride a lot as I love the sound of my 22" ping ride.

My biggest challenge would be getting used to playing that set up again after what he's been used to playing for so many years. Drumming is a lot of muscle memory (as my arms just instinctively know where each tom is, and where all the cymbals are).

We'll find out - getting a new kit that goes back to a simple single rack tom set up, which will have me repostion some of my cymbals. Haven't played that set up in 15 years.

Yeah loved those Speed Kings! I have ONE that still kind of works..the other one is totally BEAT! (I think that was my right pedal...probably should have switched occasionally)

I had Yamaha double's for a long time, and loved them...but tried some Tama Iron Cobra Jr.'s and loved them a little better (plus they were slightly used, in great shape, and pretty cheap!)

I've tried a LOT of different pedals (have a good drum shop in the area that lets you test stuff) I ever tried those old Zalmar pedals WAY back! (I was probably about 10?? another local shop had them as a display, and it was one of those shops where you couldn't try anything... I just sat on the stool and started...got in trouble, but whatever)

Neil explains in the RTB tourbook that eliminating the second bass drum was getting rid of "an empty reverberating chamber" or something like that. I suppose it would be better to have one from the engineer point of view.

It's been probably 25 years since I've played a kit with two bass drums. My brother had one in the 80s. From an ergonomic standpoint, I think I'd stick to single w/double pedal just because I can get the hi-hat closer that way.

I've had a DW 5000 double for awhile. Used to have a Yamaha and it was very good; there isn't much between the two.

• Like 2

It would be great to meet you as well. Are you sure you can't make it to Austin tomorrow night? :D

• Like 1

It would be great to meet you as well. Are you sure you can't make it to Austin tomorrow night? :D

Don't I wish... :D
  • Like 1

get a room, you two.... :kisshug:

:LMAO: :laughing yellow guy: :LOLsign:

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 2

We are both married... :codger: :D-13:

We are both married... :codger: :D-13:

To other people!