Things will change for all of us after this Tour

vital signz

I only became a fan of them around the time they toured Snakes & Arrows. I wasn't even aware of their touring schedule until after the Time Machine Tour. I'm glad I kept a close eye out for the Clockwork Angels tour and saw them then. I feel very fortunate to have seen them still this late in the game. If R40 is the last time I see them, so be it, fine with me. I'm just glad to have seen them at all.
  • Like 1

I have some mixed feeling about this. I may never seem them live again after the Buffalo show, but I have their music all around me. If this is it, I am glad they are going while still a decent act to see live. I do say decent because musically they are still there, but hearing Geddy struggle is rather sad to watch and hear at times. IMO, their last great tour was TFE. I really did not appreciate, as I have stated several times, the last two tours and their insistence on jamming back to back to back to back songs from the most recent album down the crowds throat. It is not tat I do not like the albums, it was the fact hey chose to present it in an aggressive way. Now they are starting R40 with 3 tunes from CA? REALLY? I suppose that is what killed the magic for me.

But alas, there are other live acts out there putting out killer material ad touring in support of it. Life goes on...

It's almost like they're proud of their recent output. What a shocker. Throughout their entire history they've always played a decent chunk of their newer material. Three songs from Clockwork Angels! Those bastards, how dare they do what they've done every time they tour!

i don't like the album but hey if they are proud......more power to em.

Mick

I guess they should go the way of the Rolling Stones and AC/DC and play the same thing every tour.

• Like 1

i've seen em twice. the Snakes tour and TM Tour.

First time was so exiting as hell and a great GREAT time.

2nd time i just wanted to see MP live.

I skipped CA cause i just wasn't excited for the album they were promoting. Weird reason but true.

and also shows are not easy for me to attend.

glad i saw em twice though.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I am. Neil's done.

Best case scenario....a few one-offs in NYC, LA, or Toronto.

I'm not convinced that with the preparation they need to play a show, that a one off is is even possible?!?

Lorraine will provide us polls of the best RUSH tribute bands to argue over. Life will go on.

:(

Still not a fan of Rush tribute bands...doubt I will be one when they are "officially" done!

I am. Neil's done.

Best case scenario....a few one-offs in NYC, LA, or Toronto.

I'm not convinced that with the preparation they need to play a show, that a one off is is even possible?!?

Well, those possible occasional appearances obviously would be scaled down in production, and probably much looser than their usual standards, as they won't have the time nor inclination to rehearse for weeks on end for a one night show or even a one week run.

I still think we'll see little to none of that anyway. It's possible. But not probable.

I'm not convinced for a second this is the last we are gonna hear from them.

Da Nile is a river in Northern Quebec

• Like 1

I'm not convinced for a second this is the last we are gonna hear from them.

I agree. Things will change, but as others have suggested, new music could very likely be created by them and there may be much shorter performances. That gives me hope that I'll see them again one way or another. In any case, there's a lot of great music out there by other performers.

I know we've been very lucky. I've seen my other friends and family's favorite bands break up or lose their lead singer. For Rush to create new music and tour for 40 years is unreal. Plus this setlist and how it changes makes following this tour very fun.

Very nice post, although I have to admit, it makes me very sad and annoyed that I didn't get into them sooner. I had a chance to see them on Snakes & Arrows and The Time Machine tours, but couldn't for one reason or another. I've only been a fan for about nine years, although I at least saw them in London on the Clockwork Angels tour. What a show :)

I still think these guys have a lot of time left in them; Yes are still going and they're in far worse shape and have about 8/9 years on Ged, Alex and Neil in terms of age. Still, I guess it comes down to two things: Neil is in a lot of pain with that condition he has (sorry, I can't remember the exact terminology) and wants to put his family first, which is obviously a no-brainer.

You guys who are lucky enough to see them on R40 sure have an amazing time---what a setlist!

Don't sweat it about not being a fan earlier. I became a fan in 1983 and have regretted not being a fan earlier. It's always better late than never. I always feel sorry for the people who never got into them. They have no idea what they've missed. I always find that sad. We all have a leg up on every single person who never liked their music. They might "discover" them some day, by then it will be too late, but it wasn't for us, whether we've been a 30 year, 10 year, or a brand new fan.

• Like 1

I guarantee that this is not the end. If it was a farewell tour they'd be billing it as such. There will be lots of press and hoopla and aggressive marketing. This is an anniversary tour. Let's celebrate it and all they've given us instead of worrying about if this is the end. And when it is the end, we must let them go in peace. No complaints. They have given all of themselves to the music, their fans and the road for more than 40 years. They've earned the right to retire gracefully.
  • Like 1

Well put, vital signz. I'm resigned to the fact that I will soon be going to my last Rush show (and probably the last rock concert of my life) and I feel a little sadness about it.

What??? Last concert???

Are you high??

My first concert was Shooting Star, my second was Rush. In between have been over 300 live shows in stadiums and clubs and festivals and I'll never stop seeing live music. Rush I have seen 14 times, going on 15 next month, so they are my number one most followed then Naked Raygun and Ministry with about ten each.

Don't ever stop going to shows, music keeps you young and I'm a very young 47 :)

I've been thinking about this for a long time. I thought they were done back when Grace Under Pressure came out. I thought, "how can they possibly keep going after this tripe?" But they did. Then Neil's wife and daughter died and he went on his motorcycle trip and I thought, "now they're done." Then Time Machine tour came around and I thought "everyone is saying this is the last tour, they can't possibly keep going now." But they did and put out a new album. Now they're actually saying they're done, so I have to believe it. Though a small part of me hopes it's not so, I can hardly imagine we've had them around for so long. They've been a soundtrack to a lot of our lives. We've been so lucky to have them.
  • Like 3

Where and when did Rush announce this is it?? They didn't. They said this could be the last tour of this magnitude. This means many different things. What they did NOT say is that this is the end.

I've been thinking about this for a long time. I thought they were done back when Grace Under Pressure came out. I thought, "how can they possibly keep going after this tripe?" But they did. Then Neil's wife and daughter died and he went on his motorcycle trip and I thought, "now they're done." Then Time Machine tour came around and I thought "everyone is saying this is the last tour, they can't possibly keep going now." But they did and put out a new album. Now they're actually saying they're done, so I have to believe it. Though a small part of me hopes it's not so, I can hardly imagine we've had them around for so long. They've been a soundtrack to a lot of our lives. We've been so lucky to have them.

That's cause you're wise, darlin'. :)

Most of the diehards online won't believe it until it's said outright black and white.

But that really isn't Rush's style.They're not going to say "FAREWELL tour' or 'THIS IS IT.' It just isn't like them to do that. They're hinting enough. People should take the hints.

Anybody who thinks a moneymaker like Ray Daniels willingly says 'probable' retirement, isn't paying close attention. :)

• Like 3

I love coming to the TRF every day. It is a place where hopeful fans share a connection--one where we, like children months before Christmas, anticipate "surprises" of what is to come in hopefully what will not seem like too long of a waiting period in the near future.

However, the writing is on the wall, already eluded to by the band and Ray Danniels, that "getting three 65 year olds on the road ever again seems unlikely.

I don't know about you guys, but I feel very sad inside. This tour is certain to make us all feel better for a while. The deep cuts and the effort by this band to give us the best of what they have to give is an incredible gesture.

These guys sure do care about us all to do such amazing things year after year, and that is why we all love them like like we do. I have never felt anything like I feel for Rush for any other band. An kind of weird analogy is it is beginning to feel like a dear friend is now expected to be dying......and the hollowness you know that will be coming in the not too distant future is beginning to settle in. I am beginning to feel sick about it.

We love you Geddy, Alex, and Neil. You guys are the best of the best. Thanks for the big effort this tour. We all appreciate it and all of the work that you and all of your tour team has put forth every time in the past, but especially this time. It is easy to see how much thought you all put into making this "last hurrah" so unbelievably special. Can't wait to catch you all in Columbus.

I will love coming here to visit with all of you after the tour, but I suspect we all might feel a bit differently afterwards....maybe like discovering that Santa isn't real after all, and the magic may be gone from the holiday forever. Our love we have for this band in our hearts I am sure will continue to stoke the fire that keeps this place alive with happiness and great posts...for a while. But we will, I believe, just feel somehow emptier, more hollow, sad not knowing what is to come; after all a 40 year relationship suddenly changing, will have to impact us all in some way. The ever changing soundtrack to my life, and many of all all here, is perhaps about to lose its primary writers---I don't think any other authors will ever be able to take their places. :Neil: :Alex: :geddy:

Not to be too cynical, but they don't really care about us in any sense except playing a few songs they think some fans would like to hear. They aren't going to come to your house when your kid is sick. They aren't going to send you a card when your dog dies. They aren't even going to call you to congratulate you on that promotion.

Don't get me wrong, I'll miss hearing new albums and maybe seeing them live (Geddy's voice won't last much longer anyway), but I'd bet none of our day to day lives will change in any appreciable way when Rush calls it quits.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's strange. I'm thinking they still might do smaller get togethers and perhaps clinics of some sort. They are all to creative to not continue with releasing some sort of music. But big ass tours I believe are definitley done.

I love coming to the TRF every day. It is a place where hopeful fans share a connection--one where we, like children months before Christmas, anticipate "surprises" of what is to come in hopefully what will not seem like too long of a waiting period in the near future.

However, the writing is on the wall, already eluded to by the band and Ray Danniels, that "getting three 65 year olds on the road ever again seems unlikely.

I don't know about you guys, but I feel very sad inside. This tour is certain to make us all feel better for a while. The deep cuts and the effort by this band to give us the best of what they have to give is an incredible gesture.

These guys sure do care about us all to do such amazing things year after year, and that is why we all love them like like we do. I have never felt anything like I feel for Rush for any other band. An kind of weird analogy is it is beginning to feel like a dear friend is now expected to be dying......and the hollowness you know that will be coming in the not too distant future is beginning to settle in. I am beginning to feel sick about it.

We love you Geddy, Alex, and Neil. You guys are the best of the best. Thanks for the big effort this tour. We all appreciate it and all of the work that you and all of your tour team has put forth every time in the past, but especially this time. It is easy to see how much thought you all put into making this "last hurrah" so unbelievably special. Can't wait to catch you all in Columbus.

I will love coming here to visit with all of you after the tour, but I suspect we all might feel a bit differently afterwards....maybe like discovering that Santa isn't real after all, and the magic may be gone from the holiday forever. Our love we have for this band in our hearts I am sure will continue to stoke the fire that keeps this place alive with happiness and great posts...for a while. But we will, I believe, just feel somehow emptier, more hollow, sad not knowing what is to come; after all a 40 year relationship suddenly changing, will have to impact us all in some way. The ever changing soundtrack to my life, and many of all all here, is perhaps about to lose its primary writers---I don't think any other authors will ever be able to take their places. :Neil: :Alex: :geddy:

Not to be too cynical, but they don't really care about us in any sense except playing a few songs they think some fans would like to hear. They aren't going to come to your house when your kid is sick. They aren't going to send you a card when your dog dies. They aren't even going to call you to congratulate you on that promotion.

Don't get me wrong, I'll miss hearing new albums and maybe seeing them live (Geddy's voice won't last much longer anyway), but I'd bet none of our day to day lives will change in any appreciable way when Rush calls it quits.

I think they care a bit more than you give them credit. And no, my everyday life won't be affected by thier retirement, but this is a band who has been around through my teen years till now. I can't say that about any other music act. I recall where I was, and what was happening in my life, relationships, school, work , wherever it may have been, when each album was released, starting with my introduction to Power Windows on vinyl that my friend Tony had. These three dudes have essentially been riding shotgun for the last 30 years of my life.

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 1

All my favourite bands are facing retirement by now and this means I will probably reduce attending gigs in future.

Appeal to the international scientists' community: do we want to get to work with bloody cloning ???

• Like 1