Things will change for all of us after this Tour

89 replies to this topic

#21 drgrendel

drgrendel

The Seeker

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Golfing, and Hiking.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

I have some mixed feeling about this.  I may never seem them live again after the Buffalo show, but I have their music all around me.  If this is it, I am glad they are going while still a decent act to see live.  I do say decent because musically they are still there, but hearing Geddy struggle is rather sad to watch and hear at times.  IMO, their last great tour was TFE.  I really did not appreciate, as I have stated several times, the last two tours and their insistence on jamming back to back to back to back songs from the most recent album down the crowds throat.  It is not tat I do not like the albums, it was the fact hey chose to present it in an aggressive way.  Now they are starting R40 with 3 tunes from CA?  REALLY?   I suppose that is what killed the magic for me.

But alas, there are other live acts out there putting out killer material ad touring in support of it.  Life goes on...

Sponsored Post

#22 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1411 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:32 PM

Very poignant post Vital signz!  I can certainly relate to alot of what you write.  Like many others have stated, Rush has been the soundtrack of my life (starting from ~1981 for me!)  It is hard to imagine any band ever meaning that much to me; though I do love a number of other bands, there's only a handful that I would travel to see and of that handful only a couple that still actually tour.  However, Rush has been there for much of my life and I've always felt some strange connection between their progression and changes to those in my life.  From high school to having kids.  Hell, Neil was the inspiration for me to play drums which led to my life's passion in music, not to mention meeting my wife.  Maybe I assign too much coincidence to Rush, but they certainly altered my path in positive ways.  Sometimes I feel a little emotional about my final 2 shows (Tampa and Philly) - I hope I don't cry in front of my Rush buddies!  :(  I remind myself that I am grateful for how much this band has given us and for all the times that I was able to enjoy seeing them in concert.  And we'll always have the music (maybe even some new music at some point...) and the memories! :codger:

p.s there are some things that I will not miss one bit - ticket buying process, ticket costs, jerks in the crowd, price of beer at concerts... :boo hiss:

#23 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9821 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

Yes, it's sad that we may never see them live again after this tour. But I don't believe the band is completely done. Geddy has said even if they don't do any major tours anymore, they still want to record new material. They may go the way of The Beatles and still record stuff but not play live. That is something I can see being possible, so it may be over for them when it comes to playing shows but we can be happy that the band still wants to record.

Come on, they're only in their early 60s, they can give us a couple more new albums ;)

#24 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

• Members *
  • 21064 posts
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

View Postdrgrendel, on 14 May 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

I have some mixed feeling about this.  I may never seem them live again after the Buffalo show, but I have their music all around me.  If this is it, I am glad they are going while still a decent act to see live.  I do say decent because musically they are still there, but hearing Geddy struggle is rather sad to watch and hear at times.  IMO, their last great tour was TFE.  I really did not appreciate, as I have stated several times, the last two tours and their insistence on jamming back to back to back to back songs from the most recent album down the crowds throat.  It is not tat I do not like the albums, it was the fact hey chose to present it in an aggressive way.  Now they are starting R40 with 3 tunes from CA?  REALLY?   I suppose that is what killed the magic for me.

But alas, there are other live acts out there putting out killer material ad touring in support of it.  Life goes on...
It's almost like they're proud of their recent output. What a shocker. Throughout their entire history they've always played a decent chunk of their newer material. Three songs from Clockwork Angels! Those bastards, how dare they do what they've done every time they tour!

#25 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 15749 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:01 PM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 14 May 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

It's almost like they're proud of their recent output. What a shocker. Throughout their entire history they've always played a decent chunk of their newer material. Three songs from Clockwork Angels! Those bastards, how dare they do what they've done every time they tour!

i don't like the album but hey if they are proud......more power to em.

Mick

#26 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

• Members *
  • 21064 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:02 PM

I only became a fan of them around the time they toured Snakes & Arrows. I wasn't even aware of their touring schedule until after the Time Machine Tour. I'm glad I kept a close eye out for the Clockwork Angels tour and saw them then. I feel very fortunate to have seen them still this late in the game. If R40 is the last time I see them, so be it, fine with me. I'm just glad to have seen them at all.

#27 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

• Members *
  • 21064 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:03 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 14 May 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 14 May 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

i don't like the album but hey if they are proud......more power to em.

Mick
I guess they should go the way of the Rolling Stones and AC/DC and play the same thing every tour.

#28 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:03 PM

Sadder still to watch it die
Than never to have known it
For you - the blind who once could see -
The bell tolls for thee...

#29 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 15749 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:07 PM

i've seen em twice.  the Snakes tour and TM Tour.

First time was so exiting as hell and a great GREAT  time.

2nd time i just wanted to see MP live.

I skipped CA cause i just wasn't excited for the album they were promoting.  Weird reason but true.

and also shows are not easy for me to attend.

glad i saw em twice though.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000, 14 May 2015 - 03:08 PM.

#30 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 3770 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:13 PM

we'll have more free time and more money to spend.

that's not all bad.

#31 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:15 PM

View PostBard, on 14 May 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

I am. Neil's done.

Best case scenario....a few one-offs in NYC, LA, or Toronto.

I'm not convinced that with the preparation they need to play a show, that a one off is is even possible?!?

View PostJohnRogers, on 14 May 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

Lorraine will provide us polls of the best RUSH tribute bands to argue over. Life will go on.
:(

Still not a fan of Rush tribute bands...doubt I will be one when they are "officially" done!

#32 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:31 PM

View PostJaminbenb, on 14 May 2015 - 03:15 PM, said:

View PostBard, on 14 May 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

I am. Neil's done.

Best case scenario....a few one-offs in NYC, LA, or Toronto.

I'm not convinced that with the preparation they need to play a show, that a one off is is even possible?!?

Well, those possible occasional appearances obviously would be scaled down in production, and probably much looser than their usual standards, as they won't have the time nor inclination to rehearse for weeks on end for a one night show or even a one week run.

I still think we'll see little to none of that anyway. It's possible. But not probable.

#33 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

View PostRushman14, on 14 May 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

I'm not convinced for a second this is the last we are gonna hear from them.
Da Nile is a river in Northern Quebec

#34 Shemp

Shemp

The Seeker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:guitar & music, women

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:32 PM

View PostRushman14, on 14 May 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

I'm not convinced for a second this is the last we are gonna hear from them.
I agree.  Things will change, but as others have suggested, new music could very likely be created by them and there may be much shorter performances. That gives me hope that I'll see them again one way or another. In any case, there's a lot of great music out there by other performers.

#35 bill1971

bill1971

The Seeker

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

I know we've been very lucky. I've seen my other friends and family's favorite bands break up or lose their lead singer. For Rush to create new music and tour for 40 years is unreal. Plus this setlist and how it changes makes following this tour very fun.

#36 Londonguy1

Londonguy1

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:04 PM

View PostCountFloyd84, on 14 May 2015 - 08:05 AM, said:

Very nice post, although I have to admit, it makes me very sad and annoyed that I didn't get into them sooner. I had a chance to see them on Snakes & Arrows and The Time Machine tours, but couldn't for one reason or another. I've only been a fan for about nine years, although I at least saw them in London on the Clockwork Angels tour. What a show :)

I still think these guys have a lot of time left in them; Yes are still going and they're in far worse shape and have about 8/9 years on Ged, Alex and Neil in terms of age. Still, I guess it comes down to two things: Neil is in a lot of pain with that condition he has (sorry, I can't remember the exact terminology) and wants to put his family first, which is obviously a no-brainer.

You guys who are lucky enough to see them on R40 sure have an amazing time---what a setlist!

Don't sweat it about not being a fan earlier.    I became a fan in 1983 and have regretted not being a fan earlier.  It's always better late than never.  I always feel sorry for the people who never got into them.  They have no idea what they've missed.  I always find that sad.  We all have a leg up on every single person who never liked their music.  They might "discover" them some day, by then it will be too late, but it wasn't for us, whether we've been a 30 year, 10 year, or a brand new fan.

#37 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

The Elitist Booby Type

• Members
  • 8902 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:08 PM

Posted Image

Here you go. Let it out.

#38 Mieko8

Mieko8

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:15 PM

I guarantee that this is not the end.  If it was a farewell tour they'd be billing it as such.  There will be lots of press and hoopla and aggressive marketing.  This is an anniversary tour.  Let's celebrate it and all they've given us instead of worrying about if this is the end.  And when it is the end, we must let them go in peace.  No complaints.  They have given all of themselves to the music, their fans and the road for more than 40 years.  They've earned the right to retire gracefully.

#39 satchmothesnowdog

satchmothesnowdog

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1235 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:22 PM

View PostRelayer2112, on 14 May 2015 - 07:52 AM, said:

Well put, vital signz.  I'm resigned to the fact that I will soon be going to my last Rush show (and probably the last rock concert of my life) and I feel a little sadness about it.

What??? Last concert???

Are you high??

My first concert was Shooting Star, my second was Rush. In between have been over 300 live shows in stadiums and clubs and festivals and I'll never stop seeing live music. Rush I have seen 14 times, going on 15 next month, so they are my number one most followed then Naked Raygun and Ministry with about ten each.

Don't ever stop going to shows, music keeps you young and I'm a very young 47 :)

#40 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21765 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:44 PM

I've been thinking about this for a long time. I thought they were done back when Grace Under Pressure came out. I thought, "how can they possibly keep going after this tripe?" But they did. Then Neil's wife and daughter died and he went on his motorcycle trip and I thought, "now they're done." Then Time Machine tour came around and I thought "everyone is saying this is the last tour, they can't possibly keep going now." But they did and put out a new album. Now they're actually saying they're done, so I have to believe it. Though a small part of me hopes it's not so, I can hardly imagine we've had them around for so long. They've been a soundtrack to a lot of our lives. We've been so lucky to have them.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users