Through the Stacks

grasbo

Please tell me all lucky you buggers seeing the gigs are Alex and Ged using their big amps as moniters in the second set.I would hate to see them relegated to washing machine/roast chook satus.Cheers.

Ok ,question answered,i just thought 'maybe'they would fire them up but i guess the in ear moniters are doing their job.

Was never much of a tech geek don't know much about all that. But my understanding was that Ged plugged his bass directly into some mainline of the arena and thats where his sound his coming from. The dryers, roasters, vending machines, popcorn machines were all just for show so that the stage doesnt look empty.

How does Al handle his sound?

I'm going to assume the amps they have been moving around for this tour cannot be nowhere near as heavy as they should be. Those poor crew guys will be tired as hell. How does the popcorn machine morph though into the dryers? And are there video screens on those dryers?

• Like 1

How does the popcorn machine morph though into the dryers? And are there video screens on those dryers?

the video screen from the "popcorn machine" becomes the dryer "window" They take the tops off the popcorn machine, and pop on tops and side and they become dryers

How does Al handle his sound?

He also goes direct into the house speakers. This change occurred between the first and second legs of the Time Machine tour. Those old-school looking amps were functional for the first leg, but he bypassed them on the second leg. That's why he had that round tv thing behind him on the Clockwork Angles tour, to continue the steampunk theme and fill the void left by the absence of amps.

Of all the many concerts I've seen Rush has some of the best sound quality in these sports arena. I think the mix always sounds good. If they are plugging into a mainline in the arena, begs to question why other bands do not do this?

So for the first leg of time machine the set behind Alex really was the amp? What made him decide to change?

Also random question about this tour.. which songs have pyro with them? On the setlist it seemed to say that OLV and 2112 have it but I didn't notice anything in the videos I saw.

Ok ,i'm a muso and i have been following the bands setup through various music mags over the years.Sure i know those vending machines were props and Ged was going straight into the main P.A.via various sound processers and his in ear moniters were his 'stage sound'.The vending machines were there to fill in the space where those huge old Ampeg amps would be.In the muso world those Ampegs are affectionately known as 'fridges' due to their size and shape.Cold beer or roast chooks or dry clothes anyone?Alex on the other hand ,correct me if i am wrong,was still using on stage amps(old style radio custom H&K amps)on Time Machine tour with the signalsent to the off stage to the 'secret box'.All i would like to know is are those Marshalls 'on' or just props.cheers from good ol'Tassie
  • Like 1

Ok ,i'm a muso and i have been following the bands setup through various music mags over the years.Sure i know those vending machines were props and Ged was going straight into the main P.A.via various sound processers and his in ear moniters were his 'stage sound'.The vending machines were there to fill in the space where those huge old Ampeg amps would be.In the muso world those Ampegs are affectionately known as 'fridges' due to their size and shape.Cold beer or roast chooks or dry clothes anyone?Alex on the other hand ,correct me if i am wrong,was still using on stage amps(old style radio custom H&K amps)on Time Machine tour with the signalsent to the off stage to the 'secret box'.All i would like to know is are those Marshalls 'on' or just props.cheers from good ol'Tassie

There was a gear interview with Scott Appleton for Alex's gear a few years ago and another interview that I saw or read - can't remember. Originally, the Steampunk / Old Radio style amp cabinets were working cabinets, though the actual amps were off-stage. But, they started having trouble with the cabinets (probably from moving them a thousand times) and they just use the Palmer Speaker Simulators. So, they became just props. I think from then on, they realized they didn't need them anyway. So, the Marshalls are just props.

ETA: Here's the old interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--2NdcywRjU

• Like 1

Ok ,question answered,i just thought 'maybe'they would fire them up but i guess the in ear moniters are doing their job.

You know in ear monitors have nothing to do with the amps, right?

OP's question has been answered.

But, any of you musicians changed from stage monitors to ear pieces recently? When I was in a band we used to use the stage monitors, and always had a hard time getting the sound we wanted out of them. I never tried using the ear pieces, but as a singer I always found it hard using headphones, etc. I just wanted to hear what the crowd was hearing.

Also random question about this tour.. which songs have pyro with them? On the setlist it seemed to say that OLV and 2112 have it but I didn't notice anything in the videos I saw.

Fire only at the end of One Little Victory.

Far Cry flares. Same as usual.

Explosion at the end of Overture.

I think that was all.

Edited by bordercollie
  • Like 1

I have always assumed that the dryers and roasters on stage were Rush making a humorous commentary (and slight jab) at those bands that have stacks of amps on stage by saying that the amps are as practical as a dryer or chicken roaster on stage.

Have I been incorrect and read too much into it?

I have always assumed that the dryers and roasters on stage were Rush making a humorous commentary (and slight jab) at those bands that have stacks of amps on stage by saying that the amps are as practical as a dryer or chicken roaster on stage.

With their sound going thru the PA system, they had to have something on stage. Why not put something funny out there? To my knowledge, they weren't poking at anyone. They just like to put funny stuff on stage.

With their sound going thru the PA system, they had to have something on stage. Why not put something funny out there? To my knowledge, they weren't poking at anyone. They just like to put funny stuff on stage.

They would have special guest come on stage put coins in the dryers

I remember Randy Johnson doing it here in Phx

Of course a Vegas show-girl in the Vegas show

Also back during the "dryer" tour they would pull tee shirts from the dryers & toss them into the front rows

• Like 1

Thanks Rush-o-matic for that interview.I'm tying to find a dvd that was all about the backstage goings on of a Rush concert.Does it exist or was i dreaming?Thanks.

There was a gear interview with Scott Appleton for Alex's gear a few years ago and another interview that I saw or read - can't remember. Originally, the Steampunk / Old Radio style amp cabinets were working cabinets, though the actual amps were off-stage. But, they started having trouble with the cabinets (probably from moving them a thousand times) and they just use the Palmer Speaker Simulators. So, they became just props. I think from then on, they realized they didn't need them anyway. So, the Marshalls are just props.

ETA: Here's the old interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--2NdcywRjU

VERY cool! Thanks for posting that, I love gear-head stuff! (although I'm WAAAAAY out of that these days, in fact I'm giving all of my electronic gear to a friends son who's an amazing musician...I'm not using it anymore..he can!)

• Like 1