Meaning of "2112" Number

antiquark

One more thing!

The bible chapter is "Job", which makes perfect sense if you consider that the "working men" of Rush consider their music to be a job.

... IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW...

:rush: :Alex: :Neil: :geddy: :rush:

Neil doesn't mention the bible in this 1976 article...

Nor would I expect him to, given that I think the odds that the title of the album having anything to do with the Bible is next to nothing.

It's a date. The year 2112.

Like May 13th, 2112 for example.

That is what I always thought. Can someone convert that into Trek stardate?

No problem Buck :)

2+1= :rush:

-1-2= :rush:

My daughters birthday!

My daughters birthday!

What's the future like? Does time travel really make you sick?

• Like 2

I'm convinced that they drove by my house that I lived in as a kid, which is my username, and thought 'heyyyyyy that's a cool number to use'.

I thought it was just Neil's birthday! In military time 9:12 in the evening is 21:12 his birthday is the 12 of September 9 or 9/12 2112

I thought it was just Neil's birthday! In military time 9:12 in the evening is 21:12 his birthday is the 12 of September 9 or 9/12 2112

Interesting theory but definative answer yet?

I figured that they saw my license plate and decided that would be a cool name for a song/album???

Or they saw my password in TRF and thought the same!

Or my email password and a bunch of others... :)

Wait....you are using my password? That is going to mess something up for sure.

• Like 1

Say where did you get that avatar image. I think I first posted that image on TRF some time ago. Anyway as RUSH fans we should never use 2112 in passwords maybe a veriation of..... even though at one time I did so.

Say where did you get that avatar image. I think I first posted that image on TRF some time ago. Anyway as RUSH fans we should never use 2112 in passwords maybe a veriation of..... even though at one time I did so.

Haha, me too. One of my early PINs was 2112. No more. :)

Interesting theory but definative answer yet?

They've said that it was a play on the 1812 overture.

• Like 1

Has Rush ever explained where the 2112 number came from?

In my biblical readings, I noticed that there's a bible verse that seems relevant to both the number (21:12) and the fact that Rush is a band:

Job 21:12

12 They sing to the music of timbrel and lyre;

they make merry to the sound of the pipe.

Also in 2112 Geddy sings "the meek shall inherit the earth" which is also from the bible.

That being said, I didn't think Neil was very religious...

Holy f**k. It's a play on 1812 Overture and a date in the future...

I thought Rush fans were supposed to be intelligent.

:facepalm:

:LOL:

Too intelligent! Over thinkers. ..

Even if it is just a coincidence, it's a kind of anthropoligical discovery (I'm not joking)

Yeah, it's cool. Neil likes literary allusion, so it's possible.

Plus ça change, plus c'est le même chose

http://www.therushfo...ry-behind-2112/

Indeed: http://www.therushfo...the-title-2112/

Another interesting coincidence from that thread:

ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION-7

ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION-14

ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION-21

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL-4

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL-8

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL-12

Ending up with 21 words from the first phrase and 12 from the second. Hence the title, 2112.

• Like 1

I always liked that it was a palindrome or whatever you call it, same forwards and backwards!

Just like boob! :banana:

I always liked that it was a palindrome or whatever you call it, same forwards and backwards!

Two to one, reflection on the water.

Notice the water and the reflection on the album cover. :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c9/Rush_2112.jpg

In order to make an intelligent or worthwhile critical assessment of any form of literature or art, a person should be familiar with what they are talking about - it does not necessarily mean that you follow or adhere to what is being discussed ..

Knowledge is power, and there is no reason to fear keeping an open mind - this applies to everyone, be they hard core followers of religion or not ...

That said, there are undeniable references to The Bible in some of Neil's lyrics - again, I am NOT implying Neil FOLLOWS these beliefs, however, any good thinker is like a sponge, and soaks up inspiration and ideas no matter where they come from ..

To be opposed to something - be it Ayn Rand's philosophy or excerpts from The Bible - you should first be familiar with it ..

In my biblical readings, I noticed that there's a bible verse that seems relevant to both the number (21:12) and the fact that Rush is a band:

Also in 2112 Geddy sings "the meek shall inherit the earth" which is also from the bible.

Holy f**k. It's a play on 1812 Overture and a date in the future...

I thought Rush fans were supposed to be intelligent.

:facepalm:

You've spent time in SOCN - you *know* that isn't true!

There is no religious reference to this number. Perhaps it's Satanic right? 2+1+1+2 = 6. 666

I'm KIDDING!

Guys it's simple. It's a reference to the War Of 1812. Hence the ending of 2112.

Let's look at in numerology terms. Break 2112 into seperate numbers. 21 and 12. 21+12=33.

There is some signifigance to the number 33. To name a couple of things. 33 is publicly said to be the highest degree of Freemasonry. The 33rd degree is when you obtain occult knowledge and wisdome, and find out who pulls the strings in world affairs.

33 is also the number of couples needed to form stable genetics for a race. So 33 also symbolizes genetics, and stability in a spiecies. You trekkies from the Cygnus x-1 fourm might like that one :). Remember the TNG episode up the long ladder?(I think that's the right episode).

Edited by DoubleAgent33

And when the earth has orbited the sun 2112 times, Tchaikovski will admit that he stole 'Ouverture 1812' from Rush. We have assumed control (3x).