Neil's Drums....

Jaminbenb

Read through the tourbook piece, and remembered back to the original info that came out on his new set(s) And with the "sound" characteristics that they keep mentioning about them... you HAVE to hope that he does a studio recording with them so we can hear their sound, as opposed to "what you get" from a live recording...

I'd even love to hear what they sounded like with a nice A/B stereo pair mic'ing in a decent sounding room as opposed to close mic'ing.

Any other "sound heads" thinking about all this?

• Like 2

Oh and....for the Chromey "name haters" the "vintage style" kit is modeled after the Black Chrome Slingerlands, NOT the original Slingerlands that he got when he joined the band! So we can put that reference to bed!
  • Like 1

Gump tweeted that the new kit is not "Chromey" but "El Darko" !!!

Lorne(Gump)Wheaton @Lornewheaton

· May 9

Some of you got your wish on the double/acoustic tour kit. BUT........ please don't call it "Chromey". It's "El Darko" No competition here.

I am quite curious about the "thin" gong bass drum that he has - it is not a full depth drum. Almost like a frame drum. In videos I haven't seen him actually play it - curious about it's sound

• Like 1

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/longbeard4/IMG_0749_zpsgvjqdd95.png?1431469305414&1431469306447

A good look at both kits.

Sent to me by a friend of a friend during their rehearsal's in LA prior to the tour

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/longbeard4/IMG_0749_zpsgvjqdd95.png?1431469305414&1431469306447

Sent to me by a friend of a friend during their rehearsal's in LA prior to the tour

Wow! This pic would have been spoiler grande a few weeks ago.

As far as the sound of the Romanian oak shells, I'll be able to hear at least one up close when I get my R40 snare next month. :-)

• Like 1

As far as the sound of the Romanian oak shells, I'll be able to hear at least one up close when I get my R40 snare next month. :-)

Yikes...what's that gonna set you back? (and can we get a BIG version of that picture?)

Yikes...what's that gonna set you back? (and can we get a BIG version of that picture?)

Way more than I should spend but I've wanted one ever since they started doing NP replicas and I figured this was the last chance so... Just google R40 snare to see the price. Much cheaper than Alex's signature model guitar :-)

It may just be my eyes, but the kicks on the double bass setup look a hair smaller than the R40 kit. If the db kit were true to form, those should be 24s and the R40 kit should be a 23 if Neil is keeping with what he has been using. For those with a tour book already, are there any specs on drum sizes in an equipment section?

It may just be my eyes, but the kicks on the double bass setup look a hair smaller than the R40 kit. If the db kit were true to form, those should be 24s and the R40 kit should be a 23 if Neil is keeping with what he has been using. For those with a tour book already, are there any specs on drum sizes in an equipment section?

Do we have true specs for this kit? I'm guessing 6,8,10,12 concert toms, 12,13,15, (16 or 18? Floor). 24 basses?

Do we have true specs for this kit? I'm guessing 6,8,10,12 concert toms, 12,13,15, (16 or 18? Floor). 24 basses?

Actually...looking at the bigger pic (thanks for that) could be a 23 left and 24 right bass?

Actually...looking at the bigger pic (thanks for that) could be a 23 left and 24 right bass?

I think in the interview with the new R40 kit, Gump said they are still with the 23 - that's why I think the doubles are 22s.

Either way, God bless Neil's flexibility to switch kits in mid-show.

That's why I'm hoping that someone gets to interview him at some point...curious about how he's been adapting to it...Maybe the fill that he blew in NS last night was an "oh crap I haven't done it on this kit in 20 years! "

(just listened to that...yikes!)

• Like 2

Long story but back in my former life as a session musician, I had an artist deal with Tama drums. I had them make me a Starclassic Maple version of his Signals kit. 6" 8", 10", 12" Concert toms, 12", 13", 15" Racks, 18" Floor, 22" and 24" gong bass drums. (2) 14" x 24" bass drums, 13" and 14" wood Timbales, 5" x 14" Snare and a 18" bass drum for the "back forty" kit. I set it up maybe 2 times and sold it for more than I got it for.

Anyway, when I did set it up, from a distance I too thought the bass drums looked like 22"'s and they were definitely 24"'s. I'm pretty sure he's playing 24"'s in this kit and that 23" bass drum on the R40 kit is simply elevated and closer so it looks bigger.

I'm highly curious about 2 things. 1) Why did he go for that 8" x 20" frame gong drum. I'm really curious as to how that sounds. It's not like more depth would have taken up any important room on the kit. 2) Surprised that he went with standard LP Timbales. I would have thought DW would have made him some brass or steel shell timbales out of snare drum shells.

Hope we get some info and professional pics (front and driver's seat) before the tour is over.

• Like 1

I´m not sure how much a kit like that would cost...but it´s highly customized. From a business perspective, is it worth building two kits like that for just 32 shows?

Read through the tourbook piece, and remembered back to the original info that came out on his new set(s) And with the "sound" characteristics that they keep mentioning about them... you HAVE to hope that he does a studio recording with them so we can hear their sound, as opposed to "what you get" from a live recording...

I'd even love to hear what they sounded like with a nice A/B stereo pair mic'ing in a decent sounding room as opposed to close mic'ing.

Any other "sound heads" thinking about all this?

Oh yeah! I forgot it's the kit made from the million year old Russian tree!!

Personally I want a recording with Chromey 2.0, Geddy's Ric, and Alex on the ES-355 again.

I am quite curious about the "thin" gong bass drum that he has - it is not a full depth drum. Almost like a frame drum. In videos I haven't seen him actually play it - curious about it's sound

That's where he stores his parachute, in case he needs to make an emergency exit after the show!

I´m not sure how much a kit like that would cost...but it´s highly customized. From a business perspective, is it worth building two kits like that for just 32 shows?

DW will use this kit for promo work after the tour, make no mistake this kit will be a shrude investment for the DW brand!

DW will use this kit for promo work after the tour, make no mistake this kit will be a shrude investment for the DW brand!

Hopefully THAT tour last more then 32 shows! :popcorn: