I'll probably get banned for this :p (SPOILERS)

andreww

Okay yeah we all knew ged's voice is gonna struggle. With his age and what he did early in his career there is definitely gonna be limitations. However with that said..this is my opinion only..i believe the guys have never played their instruments better..i know some dont like CA but man the way they played on that album and tour was just amazing.

I agree. they've never played better.

Mick

I'll say it again. i can't say enough good things about Tulsa. Best ged Has sounded in a while. and i've listened about 4 times.

Lincoln however was pretty darn bad. Ged was all over the place. bum notes, yodeling. Now i know they were having problems that night

but still what a night and day thing.

Mick

I heard there were problems with their in ear monitors and etc. That would make a lot of sense.

Cause ged was unnaturally off just 1 night after a great showing....so yea it does make sense.

Rely heavily on ear monitors nowadays. I say drop the programmed stuff and just crank what's being truly performed on stage. Still don't know why Geddy screams into the mic so much. His delivery used to me more even (80s through Vapor Trails tours). The opening bars of "Spindrift" became more the rule than exception, unfortunately.

That said, I still love seeing the band live. Hard to critique on part of the show when the whole package is so good.

Again, I think no one has the balls to sit him down because he does so much, so well. That's probably what has kept their interpersonal chemistry intact.

• Like 1

We should never get offended when someone writes what Andrew has written. Or when Mick says something similar.

There's no one here who says it to be mean or malicious. Speaking for myself, it hurts to listen to a man who once had quite the voice now struggle. But, as KennyLee here once said a while back - Ged burned his voice out for us ages ago touring.

The only song I have heard from the recent tour is Xanadu, and I thought he sounded very well. In fact, I was surprised he did sound so well.

• Like 6

We should never get offended when someone writes what Andrew has written. Or when Mick says something similar.

There's no one here who says it to be mean or malicious. Speaking for myself, it hurts to listen to a man who once had quite the voice now struggle. But, as KennyLee here once said a while back - Ged burned his voice out for us ages ago touring.

The only song I have heard from the recent tour is Xanadu, and I thought he sounded very well. In fact, I was surprised he did sound so well.

Yea.........All voices go at some point. It's still sad when it happens. I'm glad people are still geting such a thrill seeing the boys though. I hope the guys feel that love on stage every night.

Mick

• Like 6

After a busy weekend I finally found a few minutes on Monday morning to sit down and see how the new tour was shaping up. As ticket prices in Toronto are pretty steep, I thought I'd check to see that the setlist was to my liking before dropping a ton of cash on tickets. So I anxiously checked out the setlist from Tulsa and wow, I was impressed. Not thrilled with the tree Clockwork Angles songs that opened the show, but it was all uphill from there! Fantastic! Xanadu, Lakeside Park and What You Doin, all songs I haven't heard live since the 80s! Quickly I check out some picks of the gig and love the stage setup, and Ged and Alex are using double necks again!!!! This is starting to look like a no brainer, Ticketmaster here I come!

Then I downloaded MP3s from the show and to be quite honest, THE BAND SOUNDS TERRIBLE. I can forgive Alex for being a little sloppy, it was the first show after all. But to be blunt, Geddy's voice is terrible. Not just bad, TERRIBLE. Lakeside Park and Xanadu are painful to listen to as a matter of fact. Maybe he just can't hit those notes anymore, but to me it sounds like he's got some kind of hearing loss and just can't find the notes anymore. I've noticed this on the last few tours, that Ged kind of slurs his words when he sings, sounding like someone with absolutely no hearing would sound, but in Tulsa it was worse and he was off key. Hopefully he gets better as the tour progresses but at this point I think I'll pass on going and simply remember those songs with fondness rather than trying to listen to that mess.

Sorry guys, just being honest here.

I know as a fan I should support the band whatever, but Geddy just doesn't inspire me to see them. To see them for the sake of seeing them isn't fair for me to spend money to be disappointed. I will support them in other ways, but having listened to the bootlegs, I am afraid that if they come to the UK, I think it would be less than tempting.

I am seeing Nightwish, and I am also really hoping Toto tour here as well. They are on performing at their peak, and I know I wouldn't feel cheated.

Being a fan means knowing what you love and knowing when to say no. It shouldn't have to mean blindly supporting a band against your own will. Besides, the ticket I could have paid money for (if they were over here) would probably be better appreciated by another fan.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

I'm sure Geddy is well aware of what he sounds like. But even at what we think is his worst singing voice, he still sounds better than most of us would if we attempted to sing his songs.

yes but to be fair, he has never had the best voice to sing a long to....the man was blessed with a godly voice...

Yea.........All voices go at some point. It's still sad when it happens. I'm glad people are still geting such a thrill seeing the boys though. I hope the guys feel that love on stage every night.

Mick

I hope so too! There's an awful lot of it!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 1

Nah, they sound fine.

Expecting studio sound is a young man's fantasy.

But they used to give a better than studio sound.

Sorry...but the money I could spend on one ticket could be spent on brand new copies of all the official live albums. I know which I'd prefer!

• Like 2

I'll say it again. i can't say enough good things about Tulsa. Best ged Has sounded in a while. and i've listened about 4 times.

Lincoln however was pretty darn bad. Ged was all over the place. bum notes, yodeling. Now i know they were having problems that night

but still what a night and day thing.

Mick

I heard there were problems with their in ear monitors and etc. That would make a lot of sense.

Cause ged was unnaturally off just 1 night after a great showing....so yea it does make sense.

Rely heavily on ear monitors nowadays. I say drop the programmed stuff and just crank what's being truly performed on stage. Still don't know why Geddy screams into the mic so much. His delivery used to me more even (80s through Vapor Trails tours). The opening bars of "Spindrift" became more the rule than exception, unfortunately.

That said, I still love seeing the band live. Hard to critique on part of the show when the whole package is so good.

Again, I think no one has the balls to sit him down because he does so much, so well. That's probably what has kept their interpersonal chemistry intact.

Seems like they have curtailed a lot of the triggered preprogrammed shit this time around. And thanks to them for realizing they dont have to throw everything from the studio into the live arrangemt. Its allowing them to change things up.

Nah, they sound fine.

Sorry...but the money I could spend on one ticket could be spent on brand new copies of all the official live albums. I know which I'd prefer!

Nah, they sound fine.

They do sound fine........but it's hard when you've been spoiled on masterful, lol

Mick

• Like 1

After a busy weekend I finally found a few minutes on Monday morning to sit down and see how the new tour was shaping up. As ticket prices in Toronto are pretty steep, I thought I'd check to see that the setlist was to my liking before dropping a ton of cash on tickets. So I anxiously checked out the setlist from Tulsa and wow, I was impressed. Not thrilled with the tree Clockwork Angles songs that opened the show, but it was all uphill from there! Fantastic! Xanadu, Lakeside Park and What You Doin, all songs I haven't heard live since the 80s! Quickly I check out some picks of the gig and love the stage setup, and Ged and Alex are using double necks again!!!! This is starting to look like a no brainer, Ticketmaster here I come!

Then I downloaded MP3s from the show and to be quite honest, THE BAND SOUNDS TERRIBLE. I can forgive Alex for being a little sloppy, it was the first show after all. But to be blunt, Geddy's voice is terrible. Not just bad, TERRIBLE. Lakeside Park and Xanadu are painful to listen to as a matter of fact. Maybe he just can't hit those notes anymore, but to me it sounds like he's got some kind of hearing loss and just can't find the notes anymore. I've noticed this on the last few tours, that Ged kind of slurs his words when he sings, sounding like someone with absolutely no hearing would sound, but in Tulsa it was worse and he was off key. Hopefully he gets better as the tour progresses but at this point I think I'll pass on going and simply remember those songs with fondness rather than trying to listen to that mess.

I know as a fan I should support the band whatever, but Geddy just doesn't inspire me to see them. To see them for the sake of seeing them isn't fair for me to spend money to be disappointed. I will support them in other ways, but having listened to the bootlegs, I am afraid that if they come to the UK, I think it would be less than tempting.

I am seeing Nightwish, and I am also really hoping Toto tour here as well. They are on performing at their peak, and I know I wouldn't feel cheated.

Being a fan means knowing what you love and knowing when to say no. It shouldn't have to mean blindly supporting a band against your own will. Besides, the ticket I could have paid money for (if they were over here) would probably be better appreciated by another fan.

Go away and see Toto then. Ingrate!! ;)

• Like 2

I think I must drive people nuts with my Toto love...but they and Rush are like two equal bands in my eyes...I truly have to pause to answer which band I like more.

Nah, they sound fine.

The symbiotic experience between artist and fan at a show...particularly if you're up close...is a flashpoint seldom matched in the entertainment aspects of life.

They still sound friggin' great. Some of you guys have unrealistic standards.

It was said in another thread, it deserves saying again. If there are 2 to 4 guys still singing their songs at a 60s+ age that sound remarkably well, it's Geddy, Sammy Hagar, and Mick Jagger.

• Like 1

Nah, they sound fine.

Nah, they sound fine.

They do sound fine........but it's hard when you've been spoiled on masterful, lol

Mick

And the thing is...erm...I just don't have the money to spend on a gig that I may or may not enjoy...Nightwish is a no-brainer, as is Lacuna Coil, but Rush are the same as Bruce Springsteen, in the sense that at this point in time, my love does not extend to the live arena.

• Like 1

Nah, they sound fine.

Nah, they sound fine.

Mick

Nothing lasts forever. :)

But among the aging and close to retiring classic hard rock acts, Rush is right at the top of the heap. Still the tightest power trio on the planet that's still actively playing. :)

Nah, they sound fine.

The symbiotic experience between artist and fan at a show...particularly if you're up close...is a flashpoint seldom matched in the entertainment aspects of life.

It was said in another thread, it deserves saying again. If there are 2 to 4 guys still singing their songs at a 60s+ age that sound remarkably well, it's Geddy, Sammy Hagar, and Mick Jagger.

Sadly, health problems mean that I now have to be seated...in all honesty, a band like Rush at this stage to be enjoyed, it needs to be upfront, not seated at the back of a venue.

Nah, they sound fine.

Nah, they sound fine.

Mick

But among the aging and close to retiring classic hard rock acts, Rush is right at the top of the heap. Still the tightest power trio on the planet that's still actively playing. :)

Erm...Muse, King's X...both tighter live :finbar:

I respect everyone's personal tastes in music.

But seriously, man. Toto and Rush are nowhere near in the same league. And I like Toto. Lukather is a perpetually underrated musician and vocalist. That said...in no way does Toto come close to Rush's tier. :)

Nah, they sound fine.

Sadly, health problems mean that I now have to be seated...in all honesty, a band like Rush at this stage to be enjoyed, it needs to be upfront, not seated at the back of a venue.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. :)

I have the best seats in the house at Irvine outside of front row center pit.

For that very reason. :)

Nah, they sound fine.

Nah, they sound fine.

Mick

LOL. King's X sucks. I don't even know Muse. But I don't have to to know they aren't playing at the level of Rush. :)

• Like 1

I respect everyone's personal tastes in music.

But seriously, man. Toto and Rush are nowhere near in the same league. And I like Toto. Lukather is a perpetually underrated musician and vocalist. That said...in no way does Toto come close to Rush's tier. :)

In all honesty, I like one Toto album more than Rush's entire body of work combined, and I would take nineties and 00's and 10's Toto, both studio and live, over anything from Rush after HYF. And that is the truth.

I love Toto the way some people round here love Steven Wilson, Yes or Genesis. For me, they belong in the top tier.

• Like 2

Nah, they sound fine.

Nah, they sound fine.

Mick

LOL. King's X sucks. I don't even know Muse. But I don't have to to know they aren't playing at the level of Rush. :)

King's X first four albums are as great as my four favourite Rush albums.