Can someone explain me TFOL with details??

mother of all machines

Im sorry for the ignorance, but im from a non English speaking country, so there are a couple of things i cant understand at all. Kinda, does he die in the end? Is the fountain what is known as the water that gives eternity? I want to ask from the ones who know the best, because i cant find anything online!

Thanks in advance,

Mom

• Like 1

Unlike Xanadu, I don't feel that The Fountain Of Lamneth is about one particular person or character - I think that it is more about life - everyone's life, and their journey ...

The different sections represent a different point and time in life - "In The Valley" represent birth and first experiences in life ... "Didacts and Narpets" is a really unique section - pretty creative, even though it is mainly drums .. It has opposition views being shouted back and forth, apparently between figures of authority and the rebellious spirit of the teenage years ... Neil has said that a "Didact" is a teacher, and that "Narpet" is an anagram from "parent" ...

"No One At The Bridge" feels as if Neil was attempting to convey a period of isolation and feelings of being alone in the world ... "Panacea" speaks of the discovery of love and happiness in life - finding out that life in not a place of loneliness ....

"Bacchus Plateau" refers to the time in life in which things begin to grow old - life slows down .... And "The Fountain" , I feel, represents the idea that there is always constant searching in life - for example, in the beginning, we want to learn and grow and get older, yet at the end, we desperately seek out youth ....

"Life is just a candle and a dream must give it flame"

I don't see the end as dying - what I feel from the end song is that life is cyclical, or circular - and that, perhaps, the generally accepted pattern as explained throughout the song is the common road traveled, but perhaps not the best road ..

Interesting question Mom - you got me listening to the song now, and going thru all the lyrics :D

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 7

A great take on the epic side here... http://this-blog-goe...ush-twenty.html

The song is actually structured as a series of standalone pieces rather than a through-composed piece with planned segues between each section. One piece fades out, and the next fades in. This is a bit of an oddity- I think the overall work would have been more digestible if it were either through-composed, or presented more obviously as a cycle of songs tied together by their unifying theme. The overarching theme that unifies the piece is a journey through life starting "in the valley" and progressing towards "the mountain" and the nebulous goal represented by "the Fountain of Lamneth" that resides atop the mountain. The song also has an overarching theme that can be interpreted as either reincarnation, or the passing on of ideas and goals to a new generation. The title does not seem to contain a specific literary or pop culture reference aside from it's obvious similarity to the idea of the mythical "fountain of youth."

The site goes on to explain each part in depth.

Edited by goose

For example...

Part I - In the Valley

Part one of the piece is titled "In the Valley." The section begins with a quiet acoustic guitar with Geddy Lee singing a soft introduction:

I am born

I am me

I am new

I am free

Look at me

I am young

Sight unseen

Life unsung

The lyrics here state the intended ideas clearly - the beginning of a life- being newly born without preconceptions, and starting our journey through life.

The intro moves into a harder edged guitar driven riff, in Rush's more familiar, Led Zeppelin inspired sound and character - the rest of "In the Valley" maintains this mood- one familiar to fans of the time. The lyrics continue with the idea of a newborn coming into and discovering the world for the first time, and sets the stage for the rest of our nineteen minute journey through life.

My eyes have just been opened

And they're open very wide

Images around me

Don't identify inside

Just one blur I recognize

The one that soothes and feeds

My way of life is easy

And as simple are my needs

The first set of lyrics should seem familiar to anyone who has spent time around a newborn child. When a baby opens it's eyes for the first time, they typically see blurry images that they are not yet able to interpret in any meaningful way. One of the first things they begin to recognize is the face of their mother "The one who soothes an feeds" - identifying that image as the source for food and comfort is how just about every human being begins to understand their environment.

Edited by goose

Unlike Xanadu, I don't feel that The Fountain Of Lamneth is about one particular person or character - I think that it is more about life - everyone's life, and their journey ...

The different sections represent a different point and time in life - "In The Valley" represent birth and first experiences in life ... "Didacts and Narpets" is a really unique section - pretty creative, even though it is mainly drums .. It has opposition views being shouted back and forth, apparently between figures of authority and the rebellious spirit of the teenage years ... Neil has said that a "Didact" is a teacher, and that "Narpet" is an anagram from "parent" ...

"No One At The Bridge" feels as if Neil was attempting to convey a period of isolation and feelings of being alone in the world ... "Panacea" speaks of the discovery of love and happiness in life - finding out that life in not a place of loneliness ....

"Bacchus Plateau" refers to the time in life in which things begin to grow old - life slows down .... And "The Fountain" , I feel, represents the idea that there is always constant searching in life - for example, in the beginning, we want to learn and grow and get older, yet at the end, we desperately seek out youth ....

"Life is just a candle and a dream must give it flame"

I don't see the end as dying - what I feel from the end song is that life is cyclical, or circular - and that, perhaps, the generally accepted pattern as explained throughout the song is the common road traveled, but perhaps not the best road ..

Interesting question Mom - you got me listening to the song now, and going thru all the lyrics :D

Thanks very much for the explanation! Ill listen to it again considering your points, appreciated!

And thanks Honkin' too, will take a look on that website

Tell us what you think about what the guy has to say!

If by the guy you mean peart... God damn he has many things to say.

As u may have read on the left part of this msg, im not that old or havent lived enough to talk about this, but yes i have read a lot of books, so my points of view are strong, but not that much to say i lived them because i havent. I need to admit though i feel quite prepared for whatever is coming! Though i have to thank these 3 guys and Herman Hesse (yeah, dont say a word, i imagine your face of what is H.H doin in the list) that im quite a peacful person, so if im lucky this peace will be by my side the res of my life, whenever it decides to become to an end. Meanwhile, TFOL is another song and another lyrics ill have to re-read in my future time.

Meanwhile, thanks again for taking away my doubts of the song!

• Like 3

As u may have read on the left part of this msg, im not that old or havent lived enough to talk about this, but yes i have read a lot of books, so my points of view are strong, but not that much to say i lived them because i havent. I need to admit though i feel quite prepared for whatever is coming! Though i have to thank these 3 guys and Herman Hesse (yeah, dont say a word, i imagine your face of what is H.H doin in the list) that im quite a peacful person, so if im lucky this peace will be by my side the res of my life, whenever it decides to become to an end. Meanwhile, TFOL is another song and another lyrics ill have to re-read in my future time.

14?! :wacko:

Hats off to your taste in music and your interest in what's behind. Respect.

HH is one of my favourite writers too. He lived just a few miles from where I was born and he had a great impact on me when I was your age.

Demian is a wonderful book and as all of Hesse's work, it should be read in its original glory. In German. :yes:

HH is one of my favourite writers too. He lived just a few miles from where I was born and he had a great impact on me when I was your age.

Demian is a wonderful book and as all of Hesse's work, it should be read in its original glory. In German. :yes:

Yes, she seems like a remarkable young lady. I love that she's got a quote from The Pass in her avatar!

Yes, she seems like a remarkable young lady. I love that she's got a quote from The Pass in her avatar!

Haha! Ive been taught very well!

My fav HH book is actually Siddharta, god bless that book. No, im not buddhist btw.

• Like 1

Another question: is panacea the fountain?

I believe panacea (a general term for a "cure all") refers to a woman in the song. Ambergris is harvested from whales and was used in perfumes and he wants to touch her fragile face. I have always assumed it refers to that stage in life where we get serious about another person and look to "settle down."

I believe panacea (a general term for a "cure all") refers to a woman in the song. Ambergris is harvested from whales and was used in perfumes and he wants to touch her fragile face. I have always assumed it refers to that stage in life where we get serious about another person and look to "settle down."

OK so where is the fountain? Is it just an image? (Sorry I can't get it at all)

Bueno.. A mi, el fuente solo es un símbolo! Un símbolo por la vida. Podría ser incorrecto.. Pero no estoy seguro.

• Like 2

Bueno.. A mi, el fuente solo es un símbolo! Un símbolo por la vida. Podría ser incorrecto.. Pero no estoy seguro.

Lo que pasa es que la canción en sí se llama Fuente del Lamento. Y el tipo le dice que es lo que busca, además de encontrarlo finalmente. Me imagino que es muy compleja, tendré que esperar a vivir y entender

What happens is that the song itself is called Fountain of lamneth. And the guy says that's what he's looking for, and he also finally finds it. I imagine is very complex, I'll have to wait to live to understand