CA Live = Ear Fatigue

Captain Avatar

I was watching the CA Live Blu Ray disc today and could only make it through the first six songs or so before I needed to turn it off due to ear fatigue.

I don't know what the culprit is, be it post-concert mixing or simply the way their instruments sound live nowadays, but it's like a cacophony of sound, without much instrument separation, IMO. I can barely discern Geddy's bass, and Neil's drums sound pretty bad, too, IMO.

I think this plagues CA studio album to a degree as well. It's especially noticeable since I've been listening to a lot of early material, like Caress of Steel and A Farewell to Kings, where each instrument is crystal clear, and you can hear every one of Neil's ghost notes, etc.

I'd love to see them return to that kind of instrument separation, simply so I can enjoy listening to their newest stuff. I think CA has some great songs on it. I just wish I didn't get so damn tired listening to it!

• Like 10

^^^^ Yep on all counts. You missed eye fatigue however on the live disc. Makes one dizzy... Edited by Narps
  • Like 5

It's interesting to read negative CA opinions. They're becoming like farts...just funny. Each one is unique but they're saying the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMLO5Bq6dpM

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 2

Captain, are you a noob here??

Narp is also a noob.

You're pleased to meet each other. Noobs!

Can't hit the like button enough

Keep trying... :) Whatever a noob is

Narp is also a noob.

A noob is a newbie, a green newcomer, a greenhorn, a raw recruit. In this case compared to me a grizzled veteran of a million TRF arguments and battles! :madra:

CA Live does suck. I can't believe how poor of a job it is all around.

Mick

Same little kid that designed the new R40 shirts.

• Like 3

Narp is also a noob.

I'm a noob Narps...you may have a lot of posts, likes, but you're a noob...like me! Good company
  • Like 1

^^^^ Yep on all counts. You missed eye fatigue however on the live disc. Makes one dizzy...

Narps I hate the Blu Ray so much I left my own house to look for merchandise

• Like 1

Nothing to do with the material, but right up to Different Stages, or maybe Rush in Rio, Rush live albums were something special, something you waited for and cherished when it came out. Each one representing an era, and quite different from each other. Nowadays there are so many that I've almost lost track. Who is able to differentiate the version of TSOR in S&A Live from Time Machine from CA Live?
  • Like 3

An old engineer who mixed one of our CDs put it in these terms. He said that constant volume becomes 'wearing' on the ears. You need to have light and shade in the music. I find both the live DVD and studio versions of Clockwork Angel 'wearing'.
  • Like 3

Tried to watch CA dvd yesterday and i just not keen on Alex's guitar tone.Not keen on Hughes & Kettner amps.Yes i would like there to be more instrument separation(mixing?).But the thing i find sad is Geds vocals,but i do enjoy the vid despite all this.Any Rush is good Rush.

An old engineer who mixed one of our CDs put it in these terms. He said that constant volume becomes 'wearing' on the ears. You need to have light and shade in the music. I find both the live DVD and studio versions of Clockwork Angel 'wearing'.

Makes sense. I just can't tell if it's the mastering, the mixing, or the songs themselves.

It seems to me Rush have been going for a "wall of sound" approach since around Vapor Trails, but the remix of that album, for instance, brought tons more "light and shade" IMO. I went from hating it to liking it a lot.

I'd love to see a remix/remaster of CA some day.

Narp is also a noob.

A noob is a newbie, a green newcomer, a greenhorn, a raw recruit. In this case compared to me a grizzled veteran of a million TRF arguments and battles! :madra:

Thanks. Its all good either way. Just speak my truth is all... :)

^^^^ Yep on all counts. You missed eye fatigue however on the live disc. Makes one dizzy...

Narps I hate the Blu Ray so much I left my own house to look for merchandise

And the bathroom, beer and a dog?... :LOL:

Compared to Rush in Rio, CA is a blessing in this regard! RiR is unwatchable to me...i get a headache within the first 5 minutes. Don't even get me started on the sound!!

• Like 3

Compared to Rush in Rio, CA is a blessing in this regard! RiR is unwatchable to me...i get a headache within the first 5 minutes. Don't even get me started on the sound!!

i agree. i can still watch it for the crowd/

Best filmed crowed ever.

Mick