Golden Boy Tom Brady suspended four games

We will see. Too bad he had to put a blemish on things. Completely unnecessary. The team least needing to cheat chronically does so. Sad. Good thing a great player is not also above the rules, however. If this was a shit quarterback for the Jags everyone would let him hang. Cheating is cheating. The suspension is essentially a PED type suspension. Very fair.

What is your take on MLB pitchers doctoring the ball? The longest suspension is about 10 games or .96% of a season, not 25% of a season.

I'm not a baseball fan so I'm not really in the know there. In the NFL you can scuff the ball to your heart's content, but there is a rule in place for inflation level.

And if this is a stupid rule that needs to be changed in the NFL, then change it. But the fact that you bring the balls to pressure, have the refs check them (as is their job, so clearly someone takes this rule seriously), and then willfully deflate them after the fact on the sly and out of sight is admitting you know you're breaking the rules. So change the rules and have more grace in that low-to-high scale. Get it changed the right way. Being a shitty rule doesn't mean it's not subject to penalty if you're caught. As I said, Robert Mathis was taking a fertility drug and not juicing up, but the league didn't give a shit. It was a banned substance and that's cheating. Same here. It's a rule you intentionally broke.

In this case it's the equivalent of a PED suspension and I think that's just.

The Saints had a bounty program going on and lost players and coaches for half a year...a full year, etc. Numerous players, numerous coaches. Sean Payton claimed to have not known and they told him that being ignorant of what your locker room is doing is no excuse. BANNED for a year...!

I think that the Patriots having a history of doing this kind of sneaky shit didn't serve them well either.

• Like 1

They are chronic cheaters and he is guilty. f**k this guy.

Spoken like a truly disgruntled Indy fan

No. I'm not a fan of cheating. And I'm also not a fan of favoritism, which is the road this could have gone down.

My guy Robert Mathis got a four-game suspension himself for taking a fertility drug (and that was no cover...he and his wife were and eventually became with child). It was his fault for not checking to see if that drug showed up on the banned substance list. I don't view that as willfully taking performance enhancing drugs under those circumstances and hoped the league would consider that fact, but it was what it was...and ignorance is no excuse, in his case or any other.

You Tommy homers need to take it like a man and quit your crying. If he'd just come out and pleaded ignorance (yeah, I did it...had no idea it was wrong, etc) he'd have gotten a $25K fine and this would be over. But we're talking an organization with a history of cheating and thinking they're above the rules.

Once again, they got caught. Deal. :D

Really, really sad too. If the Jaguars cheated it would be no more "right"...but it certainly would be more understandable. They suck....they're looking for any port in a storm. The Pats cheating are like the 4.0 valedictorian chick in your high school -- already the smartest person in your school, bar none -- getting caught cheating on the SAT exams. Why?!

Ridiculous. They ought to be ashamed of themselves. ;)

Notice where all the people with pitchforks are from.

Cheating? Please. According the Wells report (and you must admit you accept its findings whole cloth) 3 of the 4 balls the Colts had checked at half time were under 12.5 psi on one gauge. Someone needs to walk the plank, right? Rules are rules.

And this coming from a team that tanked a season, so basically didn't play an entire season on the up and up, to get Andrew Luck. And who fled a city under cover of the night. Spare me the "integrity of the game" speech from this group.

• Like 2

Brett Favre refused to cooperate with the League during his texting scandal. He was fined.

"Probably knew" is simply not valid grounds to discipline anyone....but that never stops private businesses.

Of course it is. What a weird sentiment.

A just punishment that will likely and unfortunately be reduced on appeal.

"Just"? All you folks piling on Tom remind me of the lyrics (ironically enough) from "Witch Hunt." Which this is.

Except the person they were hunting is an actual witch in this case.

• Like 1

Wilfully and arrogantly breaking rules like sneaks. f**k these guys.

Which the Wells Report never proved. It alleged that TB "probably" knew something. I'm going to laugh when this is overturned and Der Komissar Badell is given his walking papers.

The burden of proof was "more probable than not". That was very, very easily met. If you read the report and not the headlines, it demonstrates that the attendants almost definitely (I would say beyond a reasonable doubt) deflated the balls and that Brady almost definitely knew about and encouraged it. And it is incontrovertible that Brady obstructed the investigation, and the Patriots didn't fully cooperate. For recidivists, this is very, very bad behavior.

• Like 1

I hate the Pats but hate hypocrisy worse so I can't celebrate. Brad Johnson says he had the ball manipulated during super bowl

Yes, all the balls were treated equally and with both QBs on board with it. Still against the rules and punishable, but not comparable.

We will see. Too bad he had to put a blemish on things. Completely unnecessary. The team least needing to cheat chronically does so. Sad. Good thing a great player is not also above the rules, however. If this was a shit quarterback for the Jags everyone would let him hang. Cheating is cheating. The suspension is essentially a PED type suspension. Very fair.

What is your take on MLB pitchers doctoring the ball? The longest suspension is about 10 games or .96% of a season, not 25% of a season.

What is the suspension if the pitcher and the team (which has cheated before) obstruct an investigation? Also, how prevalent is the issue?

No. I'm not a fan of cheating. And I'm also not a fan of favoritism, which is the road this could have gone down.

My guy Robert Mathis got a four-game suspension himself for taking a fertility drug (and that was no cover...he and his wife were and eventually became with child). It was his fault for not checking to see if that drug showed up on the banned substance list. I don't view that as willfully taking performance enhancing drugs under those circumstances and hoped the league would consider that fact, but it was what it was...and ignorance is no excuse, in his case or any other.

You Tommy homers need to take it like a man and quit your crying. If he'd just come out and pleaded ignorance (yeah, I did it...had no idea it was wrong, etc) he'd have gotten a $25K fine and this would be over. But we're talking an organization with a history of cheating and thinking they're above the rules.

Really, really sad too. If the Jaguars cheated it would be no more "right"...but it certainly would be more understandable. They suck....they're looking for any port in a storm. The Pats cheating are like the 4.0 valedictorian chick in your high school -- already the smartest person in your school, bar none -- getting caught cheating on the SAT exams. Why?!

Cheating? Please. According the Wells report (and you must admit you accept its findings whole cloth) 3 of the 4 balls the Colts had checked at half time were under 12.5 psi on one gauge. Someone needs to walk the plank, right? Rules are rules.

The Colts balls were not deflated, though, and they were deemed to be compliant if ok on one gauge. Even if you take the best readings for the Pats, I think about half of the balls were still 1-2 psi below (and none for the Colts). If you take an average, 1 of the Colts' balls was 0.15 low, and 9 of the Pats' balls were between 1-2 psi low. And no one from the Colts took the balls from the refs and deflated them. Or covered up the wrongdoing. Or had been shown to have likely being doing this over an extended period.

Las Vegas? Where am I from again? Born in Vegas, live in Asheville, NC. :D

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 1

And this coming from a team that tanked a season, so basically didn't play an entire season on the up and up, to get Andrew Luck. And who fled a city under cover of the night. Spare me the "integrity of the game" speech from this group.

Except the "integrity of the game" commentary -- not to mention the punishment -- is coming from the league and not Colts fans. Sorry. I didn't suspend Tom Brady any more than your butthurt commentary can save him from himself..

• Like 1

Agreed. It's disconcerting how people from some New England states drop all their morals and logic to defend those that are clearly wrong.

• Like 1

They could still go 2-2. 4 games are not that tough

Pitts

@ Buff

Jax

@ Dall

I bet Tommy appeals and Wins, NFL hates superstars out because of an action of the league

Teams underinflate the footballs, team overinflate them.....blah blah blah.....

Aaron Rodgers likes the footballs overinflated a bit. Other QB's like 'em underinflated.

Teams have two sets of footballs - one set for the offense, and another set for the kickers (because they like their footballs overinflated).

This is not an issue. Penalize the Patriots, then you must penalize every other team that has changed the air pressure of the footballs.

• Like 2

I hate the Pats but hate hypocrisy worse so I can't celebrate. Brad Johnson says he had the ball manipulated during super bowl

Yes, all the balls were treated equally and with both QBs on board with it. Still against the rules and punishable, but not comparable.

You literally contradicted yourself and made my point in your reply. Patriots are being penalized for violation of the rules. Doesn't mattter who agreed to it.

You literally contradicted yourself and made my point in your reply. Patriots are being penalized for violation of the rules. Doesn't mattter who agreed to it.

Really, the infraction itself, or the circumstances surrounding it, don't matter? Weird.

Aaron Rodgers likes the footballs overinflated a bit. Other QB's like 'em underinflated.

Teams have two sets of footballs - one set for the offense, and another set for the kickers (because they like their footballs overinflated).

This is not an issue. Penalize the Patriots, then you must penalize every other team that has changed the air pressure of the footballs.

Has any other team taken the balls from the refs, deflated (or overinflated) the balls, and obstructed an investigation into such actions?

Agreed. It's disconcerting how people from some New England states drop all their morals and logic to defend those that are clearly wrong.

:D

If a team is caught doing it, then yeah....penalize them. Or change the inflation limits if it's a bad rule or give the balls to only the refs to control once pressurized.

But as it stands you're breaking a rule willfully and got caught doing it.

Your argument is like saying "lots of people take steroids so why bother enforcing it? If you enforce it with this guy you'll have to enforce it with that guy...and that guy. F@ck it!"

Lots of people break rules, it's true. Not everyone gets caught doing it. That's also true. If you're not going to enforce your policies or people are going to gripe and piss and moan when you do, you might as well throw them all out.

If a team is caught doing it, then yeah....penalize them. Or change the inflation limits if it's a bad rule or give the balls to only the refs to control once pressurized.

But as it stands you're breaking a rule willfully and got caught doing it.

Your argument is like saying "lots of people take steroids so why bother enforcing it? If you enforce it with this guy you'll have to enforce it with that guy...and that guy. F@ck it!"

Lots of people break rules, it's true. Not everyone gets caught doing it. That's also true. If you're not going to enforce your policies or people are going to gripe and piss and moan when you do, you might as well throw them all out.

And a lot of QBs have come out saying they've never thought of engaging in this type of activity, and never heard of it being done. Taking the balls from the refs, deflating them, and covering it up seems like a fairly unique level of cheating.

• Like 1

Except the "integrity of the game" commentary -- not to mention the punishment -- is coming from the league and not Colts fans. Sorry. I didn't suspend Tom Brady any more than your butthurt commentary can save him from himself..

Butthurt? Please. I just think it's laughable when people suggest silly diversions like "Spygate" and "deflate-gate" aren't being driven by people who are sick of the Patriots winning. Especially when it's teams that tank seasons to affect the draft, or coaches who pull the tarp off a field during a rainstorm so it will be muddier on game day.

Take the Patriots and the over next season at Indy. It's going to be ugly.

• Like 1