Golden Boy Tom Brady suspended four games

Do you have any evidence that balls were deflated in 2007, other than the statistics you've cited?

The statistics present some pretty strong evidence, as much as anyone has on Bonds after 1999. In fact, I ran some numbers over lunch and they were so far off the charts that I don't feel comfortable posting them until I spend some more time analyzing them They're not quite OJ trial DNA odds but they're not that far off either.

Has a single former Patriots' player, some of whom have been unceremoniously cut, come forward and said that when he played for the Patriots he could tell the balls were deflated?

This is actually a good point. I think there's probably some "players code" that would prevent that or make it very difficult to but there's likely at least someone out there that's been cut that needs the money. But to be fair, score one for your side.

You mention Barry Bonds. Players don't become better hitters over time, so that's why his power surge was curious. You're a numbers guy. Have you done any research into how other players' interception numbers and fumble numbers changed as they got older?

Not yet, but it probably would make sense to do that. This does take some time though so I'd like to limit it to 10 guys at the most. How about the 10 most similar over 15 years at this link (about halfway down).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00.htm

You spend a fair amount of time ridiculing Brady for not being able to throw the deep ball, and not even really trying anymore. Do you suppose this plays any role in Brady's numbers?

If it does it doesn't show in any appreciable way in his yards per completion ratio over time.

This scandal has become a home run for you fellas. Give you a few more weeks and you might be able to suggest his numbers at Michigan were illusory.

Nah, there's a pretty big difference in the ethical standards of organizations run by Lloyd Carr vs that run by Belichick and Mr. Kraft. It might be fun to ponder the differences in the college and pro careers of the fairly contemporaneous careers of Thomas Brady and Brian Griese, so maybe my comparisons will go to 11.

You're much better with numbers. Run the guys at 15 and let's see what you find.

One number I'm positive about is Brady had a better record in Super Bowls pre-rule change.

Do you have any evidence that balls were deflated in 2007, other than the statistics you've cited?

The statistics present some pretty strong evidence, as much as anyone has on Bonds after 1999. In fact, I ran some numbers over lunch and they were so far off the charts that I don't feel comfortable posting them until I spend some more time analyzing them They're not quite OJ trial DNA odds but they're not that far off either.

Has a single former Patriots' player, some of whom have been unceremoniously cut, come forward and said that when he played for the Patriots he could tell the balls were deflated?

This is actually a good point. I think there's probably some "players code" that would prevent that or make it very difficult to but there's likely at least someone out there that's been cut that needs the money. But to be fair, score one for your side.

You mention Barry Bonds. Players don't become better hitters over time, so that's why his power surge was curious. You're a numbers guy. Have you done any research into how other players' interception numbers and fumble numbers changed as they got older?

Not yet, but it probably would make sense to do that. This does take some time though so I'd like to limit it to 10 guys at the most. How about the 10 most similar over 15 years at this link (about halfway down).

http://www.pro-footb.../B/BradTo00.htm

You spend a fair amount of time ridiculing Brady for not being able to throw the deep ball, and not even really trying anymore. Do you suppose this plays any role in Brady's numbers?

If it does it doesn't show in any appreciable way in his yards per completion ratio over time.

This scandal has become a home run for you fellas. Give you a few more weeks and you might be able to suggest his numbers at Michigan were illusory.

Nah, there's a pretty big difference in the ethical standards of organizations run by Lloyd Carr vs that run by Belichick and Mr. Kraft. It might be fun to ponder the differences in the college and pro careers of the fairly contemporaneous careers of Thomas Brady and Brian Griese, so maybe my comparisons will go to 11.

You're much better with numbers. Run the guys at 15 and let's see what you find.

One number I'm positive about is Brady had a better record in Super Bowls pre-rule change.

I started with Brees. He had about a 30% greater fumble per pass attempt in his early career (as opposed to 113% for Brady), and IIRC (see below) his INT% was about 7% greater early on. Brady's was about 60% higher (2002-2007 vs 2008-2014)

When I copied Favre's stats into Excel my computer froze. So it will be a while before I finish. Probably when I get the new computer I ordered. This damned thing is five years old and I can rarely go a couple of hours without having to restart.

I started with Brees. He had about a 30% greater fumble per pass attempt in his early career (as opposed to 113% for Brady), and IIRC (see below) his INT% was about 7% greater early on. Brady's was about 60% higher (2002-2007 vs 2008-2014)

When I copied Favre's stats into Excel my computer froze. So it will be a while before I finish. Probably when I get the new computer I ordered. This damned thing is five years old and I can rarely go a couple of hours without having to restart.

Favre 22% more fumbles per pass attempt his first six years, 16% LESS ints.

So far, Brady's fairly out of line with the other two.

• The problem with engineers is that they cheat in order to get results.
  • The problem with mathematicians is that they work on nonsensical figures in order to get results.
  • The problem with statisticians is that they cheat at nonsensical figures in order to get results.

• Like 1

Gees,

Do you ever get out? :LOL: :P

This is still going on?

It's like,

Some one committed a major crime. :LOL:

I think they're convinced that the other is going to wake up and say "oh shit, I'm wrong. I'm switching sides and teams."

Gees,

Do you ever get out? :LOL: :P

Only to work and see Rush, and they already came here this tour.

• Like 1

This is still going on?

It's like,

I think they're convinced that the other is going to wake up and say "oh shit, I'm wrong. I'm switching sides and teams."

Nah, I know he'll never switch teams. But RNB is a smart guy so it's fun to see what he'll come up with next in the face of overwhelming statistical evidence to defend his man. It won't be quite as funny as Mr. Kraft's "he looked into my eyes and swears he didn't do it and he's never lied to me" (or was it Bridget Moyhinan who said that, I'm never quite sure), but it's bound to be good.

• Like 1

This is still going on?

It's like,

Nah, I know he'll never switch teams. But RNB is a smart guy so it's fun to see what he'll come up with next in the face of overwhelming statistical evidence to defend his man. It won't be quite as funny as Mr. Kraft's "he looked into my eyes and swears he didn't do it and he's never lied to me" (or was it Bridget Moyhinan who said that, I'm never quite sure), but it's bound to be good.

Similarly, I know to be a resilient adversary in these matters. I'd have an easier go of it convincing George Stephanopoulos to vote against a Clinton than convincing him that the Patriots, and Brady in particular, could possibly be right about anything.

• Like 1

So you both admit you're arguing for the hell of it. Hilarious. Carry on, boys.

Maybe so, but the ratio of people convinced of another's position in Internet discussions to the total number of people in them is about the same as the odds that Brady's fumble ratio pre deflation and post deflation are indicative of the same level of performance in this area.

So why are we here (at TRF)? Because we're here.

• Like 1

I find it kind of strange that Kraft,

After bashing the league now accepts the penalty. Make up your mind dude. BTW, Brady is going to stick it out. Should be interesting.

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

After bashing the league now accepts the penalty. Make up your mind dude. BTW, Brady is going to stick it out. Should be interesting.

Brady's union is going to stick it out.

Brady could probably swallow his anger.

• Like 2

I'm thinking since Kraft pretty much gave up on all of this,

Brady's penalty will be reduced.

The players are under a lot of pressure from the union to appeal every ruling.

• Like 1

I'm thinking two games.

The league doesn't want this fight. I suspect they'll all iron it out privately.

• Like 1

So you both admit you're arguing for the hell of it. Hilarious. Carry on, boys.

I can't speak for LABT, but I enjoy our back and forth on sports. He's a bright guy and pretty funny.

No, you pretty much got it right. I'm a bright guy. If I have any bone to pick with this, it's that I'm extremely funny.

• Like 1

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/was-standing-down-patriots--plan-all-along-to-force-roger-goodell-to-reduce-tom-brady-s-four-game-ban-203621883.html

Patriot fan dies without having the courage to face the truth about Brady.

From the obituary of Patricia Shong:

Patricia enjoyed scrapbooking, cross stitching, pixel art, knitting, and crocheting. She relished weekly card night with the ladies. Patricia was known for being an avid reader which all who knew her can attest to based on her mini home library. She especially loved spending time with her family. She would also like us to set the record straight for her: Brady is innocent!!

http://auburnmassdaily.com/2015/05/21/patricia-m-kenny-shong-72/

• Like 1

Hundreds of New England Patriots fans gathered outside Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass., on Sunday in a show of support for quarterback Tom Brady, who is appealing his four-game suspension for his role in the league’s DeflateGate scandal.

No display of solidarity for the embattled Brady is more bizarre than the one by newlyweds Paul and Kellie Goodrow, who attended Sunday’s rally and announced that they’re postponing their honeymoon to Bermuda until Brady’s suspension is over.

“Til Brady is back on the field, that’s the way it is,” Paul Goodrow told CBS Boston. “I’ve been a fan my whole life, since 1982. Actually, I have tattoos of Tom Brady on my body.”

[Fan’s obituary has the last word on DeflateGate: ‘Brady is innocent!!’]

Paul Goodrow may or may not have tattoos of Steve Grogan, too.

Kellie Goodrow said she and her husband “live, eat and sleep Patriots.” Paul said their house is like a Patriots man cave.

“It’s like my wife doesn’t even live there,” he said.

Huh.

It would make more sense for the Goodrows to go on their honeymoon now and not return until Brady’s suspension ended, though that would be pretty expensive. Anyway, congrats you two.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/05/25/newlywed-patriots-fans-postpone-honeymoon-until-tom-brady-returns-from-deflategate-suspension/

Hundreds of New England Patriots fans gathered outside Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass., on Sunday in a show of support for quarterback Tom Brady, who is appealing his four-game suspension for his role in the league’s DeflateGate scandal.

No display of solidarity for the embattled Brady is more bizarre than the one by newlyweds Paul and Kellie Goodrow, who attended Sunday’s rally and announced that they’re postponing their honeymoon to Bermuda until Brady’s suspension is over.

“Til Brady is back on the field, that’s the way it is,” Paul Goodrow told CBS Boston. “I’ve been a fan my whole life, since 1982. Actually, I have tattoos of Tom Brady on my body.”

[Fan’s obituary has the last word on DeflateGate: ‘Brady is innocent!!’]

Paul Goodrow may or may not have tattoos of Steve Grogan, too.

Kellie Goodrow said she and her husband “live, eat and sleep Patriots.” Paul said their house is like a Patriots man cave.

“It’s like my wife doesn’t even live there,” he said.

Huh.

It would make more sense for the Goodrows to go on their honeymoon now and not return until Brady’s suspension ended, though that would be pretty expensive. Anyway, congrats you two.

http://www.washingto...ate-suspension/

WTF is wrong with people? Like that will change a damn thing. Worry about the shit you have control over!
  • Like 2