No Europe Tour?

It could be a great idea for them to play national monuments in Europe... Versailles (Pink Floyd did it), Circus Maximus (Genesis did it), Berlin's Platz... ;)

OMG, leave it to the internet to wrangle and squeeze useless meanings out of simple assertions.

Those who wager on the Forum being their last show for a long while...and those who don't expect any further 'real' touring after August 1st...are the folks who are going to be most at peace with Rush's retirement.

Time is a master of us all.

With the buzz they are making by playing ---------- and --------- and ---------, (shortened to three), arenas are packed, there is soooo much attention on this band, someone will throw a ton of cash for them to do five stadiums in 2017, forget radio city, they are too big for that now.

Hi all,

I'm new here, been lurking for years now though and always enjoy reading people's comments when I'm on my lunch break at work. :)

I simply had to sign up and reply here regarding the whole 'will they/won't they' in regards to touring in Europe. Personally, speaking as a 31-year-old who got into the band in 2004 and only saw them once (Clockwork Angels at the O2 in London, May 2013), I'm not giving up hope that they may still come here.

I regret not seeing them on the Snakes and Arrows tour since I was ill, and I didn't get to see them on the Time Machine Tour as I was suffering from major depression a the time, and could barely leave the house, let alone go to a concert in London. But that's another story.

I've seen some pretty harsh comments around here about the band not touring Europe, although I would never come out and say I'm angry at the band or go on a rant about it. I think, speaking realistically, someone like me is bound to be a little disappointed that they will apparently not be coming here. I think for a R40 tour, one would imagine they would attempt to take in as many sights as possible, especially as they are a very generous band to their fans, and have always treated their European fans well in the past. I believe they've toured in the U.K. at least every tour since R30. Even if this wasn't to be the final tour, the fact it's marking such a big milestone in the band's history, 40 years, is something that I think Rush would want to celebrate with as many fans as possible.

Also, speaking in general, I think Rush are a lot healthier than other bands. I don't claim to have an intimate knowledge of the group, but I would have put money on Rush going for another 5-10 years. People are generally living longer and staying healthier these days, and when you look at how many groups are still touring, such as Yes, The Who, and The Rolling Stones etc, these guys have almost 10+ years on Rush. I'm actually surprised they are slowing down this early, but I suppose it's mainly to due with the fact Neil wants to spend time with his daughter, which is another kettle of fish altogether. Can't blame the guy after all he's been through.

Bottom line, if they don't tour, so be it. I'm glad I've seen them and will treasure that memory, along with the video footage I took. However, part of me just wants to believe that, if the band know this IS it, they'd attempt to see to it that Europe will get to see them one last time. They always tend to go to Europe about 12 months after the U.S. anyway, so i'm not ruling it out yet. :)

I think it's just the fact Europe didn't get a chance to see them last time around knowing that would be it. It's just the opportunity to say goodbye, you know what I mean?

Edited by CountFloyd84

I'm going to be blunt too, If they end it. I place all my blame on Neil. He's leaving Ged, Alex and all the Rush fans high and dry.

I'm going to be blunt too, If they end it. I place all my blame on Neil. He's leaving Ged, Alex and all the Rush fans high and dry.

ERM...he already gave us a rebirth if rush by continuing after a five year hiatus following intense personal tragedy, and you imply he is selfish after three very intricately written albums, huge tours, heavy media coverage, as well as happy advancements in his personal life?

For five years fans expected the last rush album to be Test For Echo. He made the moves and we got a lot from it.

Fraroc...you always seem to be so prissy! He is a man, not a machine. If he wants to retire early, let him.

• Like 1

ERM...he already gave us a rebirth if rush by continuing after a five year hiatus following intense personal tragedy, and you imply he is selfish after three very intricately written albums, huge tours, heavy media coverage, as well as happy advancements in his personal life?

For five years fans expected the last rush album to be Test For Echo. He made the moves and we got a lot from it.

Fraroc...you always seem to be so prissy! He is a man, not a machine. If he wants to retire early, let him.

You gotta admit, its totally not fair for Geddy and Alex if one portion of this Holy Trifecta is going to suddenly retire.

Edited by fraroc

You gotta admit, its totally not fair for Geddy and Alex if one portion of this Holy Trifecta is going to suddenly retire.

I would be interested in hearing their response, but I am sure they understand. Hopefully new music is on the horizon

Anything after Test for Echo is a massive bonus IMO, considering all that Neil went through. I mean, yeah, I reckon the guys are healthy enough to continue onwards as I said in my first post, but I can't at all blame Neil for wanting to spend time with the family.

It's amazing he came back when he did!

• Like 2

Actually, considering what Neil has written about, he HAD to work after the tragedies, if he was going to continue to live such a comfortable life style. So in reality, the fans were there for HIM.

I think right now the vote is 2 to 1, and Neil will be partially in favor also, as long as he is healthy, and they keep it to 10 or fewer shows.

After the buzz they have generated, sorry no leaks, I can easily see them doing five stadium shows across NA and hopefully one in London for our European counterparts in 2017. This tour is too huge, too insane.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

OMG, leave it to the internet to wrangle and squeeze useless meanings out of simple assertions.

Those who wager on the Forum being their last show for a long while...and those who don't expect any further 'real' touring after August 1st...are the folks who are going to be most at peace with Rush's retirement.

Time is a master of us all.

With the buzz they are making by playing ---------- and --------- and ---------, (shortened to three), arenas are packed, there is soooo much attention on this band, someone will throw a ton of cash for them to do five stadiums in 2017, forget radio city, they are too big for that now.

There is ZERO chance Rush will ever play stadiums. :)

Uh. No. He's wanting to be with his family. And his bones hurt from smacking the skins for 40 years.

We've had enough goodies from Rush, far more than the average band puts out.

Some of you Rush nerds are extremely entitled. :)

• Like 2

Actually, considering what Neil has written about, he HAD to work after the tragedies, if he was going to continue to live such a comfortable life style. So in reality, the fans were there for HIM.

I think right now the vote is 2 to 1, and Neil will be partially in favor also, as long as he is healthy, and they keep it to 10 or fewer shows.

After the buzz they have generated, sorry no leaks, I can easily see them doing five stadium shows across NA and hopefully one in London for our European counterparts in 2017. This tour is too huge, too insane.

You're delusional. They're not big enough to play stadiums. The buzz has already leveled off. This tour is for the diehards and one last hurrah. Period. And best of my recollection, Neil didn't HAVE to work. He wanted to work. There's a difference.

You're delusional. They're not big enough to play stadiums. The buzz has already leveled off. This tour is for the diehards and one last hurrah. Period. And best of my recollection, Neil didn't HAVE to work. He wanted to work. There's a difference.

Expect to be called nothing less from you VS ;)

To be fair to Neil, I will not post the ratio of cash out vs cash in he disclosed, but the cash was being burned at a very fast rate. We all know there was a comment made that equipment will need to be sold in a couple years if that burn rate continues.

VS, not sure if you are tracking the periscopes or ticket sales. In the NE, to sit anywhere the stage, say within four sections and 25 rows off the floor, its a given these tix are $400 - $500+. Most of the tour is sold out- if they scale it back to five dates in any given year (there are already rumors of them popping in for a festival or a Massey/Radio City-They are way too big for that now.) the stadium option is best. Do you realize they could have been grossing TWO MILLION PER SHOW EASILY had they priced with demand? Probably will gross $45M this tour, shattering their per show grosses of the past.

They will probably double gross revenue they earned during any 35 show run on CA with these 35 shows. They can easily sell out 40,000 for four stadium shows in US plus one in Europe- if thats the only live Rush Aug 2, 2015 to Dec 31, 2018.

You're only partly right. Rush still isn't for everyone, as much as we hate to say that. They've said they're most at home in arenas. And even if they did play a handful of stadiums, ticket prices would be lower to justify the larger capacity. Almost zero chance.

This is a good place to ask again a question I asked elsewhere and never, to my knowledge, received a reply.

How much does it cost Rush to tour? They have many employees that must be paid and many other expenses including their airplane.

How much do they have to make at any given venue in order for the three of them to make a profit?

This is a good place to ask again a question I asked elsewhere and never, to my knowledge, received a reply.

How much does it cost Rush to tour? They have many employees that must be paid and many other expenses including their airplane.

How much do they have to make at any given venue in order for the three of them to make a profit?

It's a good question, for which I don't have an exact answer (or even a good guess)...but their overhead is significant, to be sure.

Have to give it up to the whole road crew, and all the drivers, for all the rigging and the stages that we've gotten to enjoy seeing over the years- they are the ones who have made it possible for the band to perform show after show after show for us.

• Like 1

To be fair to Neil, I will not post the ratio of cash out vs cash in he disclosed, but the cash was being burned at a very fast rate. We all know there was a comment made that equipment will need to be sold in a couple years if that burn rate continues.

VS, not sure if you are tracking the periscopes or ticket sales. In the NE, to sit anywhere the stage, say within four sections and 25 rows off the floor, its a given these tix are $400 - $500+. Most of the tour is sold out- if they scale it back to five dates in any given year (there are already rumors of them popping in for a festival or a Massey/Radio City-They are way too big for that now.) the stadium option is best. Do you realize they could have been grossing TWO MILLION PER SHOW EASILY had they priced with demand? Probably will gross $45M this tour, shattering their per show grosses of the past.

They will probably double gross revenue they earned during any 35 show run on CA with these 35 shows. They can easily sell out 40,000 for four stadium shows in US plus one in Europe- if thats the only live Rush Aug 2, 2015 to Dec 31, 2018.

There's a problem with your numbers. All of your 'sold out' shows have hundreds if not thousands of tickets available in the secondary market. Which means they aren't in the hands of attendees yet. Which means the shows aren't truly sold out. Some will at the last minute. Some won't.

Very few bands can fill stadiums anymore. The Stones. U2. Springsteen, AC/DC. Not many more. Maybe a GnR reunion could do it.

But not Rush.

They aren't going to play stadiums.

In fact, other than - at best - an outside chance at playing one-off festivals or perhaps a brief three night run in primary markets like NYC, LA, Toronto, they aren't going to play anymore anywhere at all after this tour. :)

It's a good question, for which I don't have an exact answer (or even a good guess)...but their overhead is significant, to be sure.

Have to give it up to the whole road crew, and all the drivers, for all the rigging and the stages that we've gotten to enjoy seeing over the years- they are the ones who have made it possible for the band to perform show after show after show for us.

I remember seeing a Youtube interview with Neil saying that they liked having the string section along on the CA tour because it gave them other musicians to talk to, but it meant they didn't even break even until the tour was half way over. That was a lot of extra people to feed and house though. My kids were surprised and kind of pleased at Rush's integrity to not have this be the Summer Bud Lime A Rita tour or whatever sponsor a lot of groups have!

• Like 2

I remember seeing a Youtube interview with Neil saying that they liked having the string section along on the CA tour because it gave them other musicians to talk to, but it meant they didn't even break even until the tour was half way over. That was a lot of extra people to feed and house though. My kids were surprised and kind of pleased at Rush's integrity to not have this be the Summer Bud Lime A Rita tour or whatever sponsor a lot of groups have!

I asked because it must cost them A LOT. Which is why when people clamor for a European tour, they never seem to take into consideration the cost involved in said tour, and that Rush just can't pop over there to play a few cities.

• Like 2

I asked because it must cost them A LOT. Which is why when people clamor for a European tour, they never seem to take into consideration the cost involved in said tour, and that Rush just can't pop over there to play a few cities.

I never understand that either. A lot of tours and bands centralize their business to the continent they reside on. I see a lot of Euro folks and Australians complaining about the lack of global love. Europe, you get your share of tours - perhaps not as much from American or Canadian outfits as you'd like, but plenty nonetheless. (cough) zeppelin reunion (cough). Australia, well...you live a bit outta the way from the mainstream. There are perks to that. And there are cons to that.

There's a problem with your numbers. All of your 'sold out' shows have hundreds if not thousands of tickets available in the secondary market. Which means they aren't in the hands of attendees yet. Which means the shows aren't truly sold out. Some will at the last minute. Some won't.

Very few bands can fill stadiums anymore. The Stones. U2. Springsteen, AC/DC. Not many more. Maybe a GnR reunion could do it.

But not Rush.

They aren't going to play stadiums.

In fact, other than - at best - an outside chance at playing one-off festivals or perhaps a brief three night run in primary markets like NYC, LA, Toronto, they aren't going to play anymore anywhere at all after this tour. :)

VS, Check out some of the numbers east of St Louis. Boston had less than 170 seats avail on resale TM+

Stub Hub only has 200-400 tix for the shows around here, which is microscopic, and we are still 6 weeks away from showtime.

I am looking Boston, Philly, DC and it is slim picking on the secondary markets. Nosebleeds, side stage, everything is sold out, and not that many seats available for resale. To get resale amongst the closest 5,000 fans is $500+. A big event around here can bang out 3,000 tix on stub hub the last few days, easy.

Plus, I am not talking a full 30 city stadium tour. I am saying 3 or 4 US, 1 Tor and 1 London, and that would be all the Rush shows August 2015 thru end of 2018.

They would easily sell 40k a nite for that. The rumor is they are already open to the idea with essentially the same thing with festivals. Everyone knows the clock is ticking and this would be the "overtime" of their career.

They won't tour stadiums. I guarantee you. :)

Neil is retiring. Accept it. :)

So we'll get you to play drums in Leefson ;)

Edit-

Looking at the bands you rattled off, a Lee/Lifeson continuation, even under a different name, would be more faithful to original Rush than most classic rock bands touring today, even the legendary ones you mentioned (yes, I mean the E Street Band, AC/DC, among others). I am all for these bands continuing. But they would certainly retire the name Rush without Neil.

Some of us believe, based on band's comments, that they are retiring as a touring band, not as a band. Some believe all 3 have to turn the key for major decisions. Some believe Ged is the power broker, not Neil (who could have easily said due to injury I am retired, instead of the wishy washy press release). He is the new guy, after all.

Barring Neil tendinitis or other undisclosed injury, 2 of 3 members have publicly said optimistically specific comments, to keep hope alive, however thin.

Unless you have specific news from the source?

Edited by Gabrielgil513