A Young Fan's Perspective

Territorial_Game

I've seen and heard some comments to the effect that young fans can't really appreciate the 2nd set. Since there are a lot of us on this forum, I figured I'd share my thoughts and feelings from the show last night.

Since the second set started with Moving Pictures and worked its way backward, there are a tons of us who weren't old enough to go to shows from that era- that's if we had even been born. In talking to other fans around my age (26) and to others who maybe got into Rush a little bit later, we consistently lament the fact that we didn't get to see them earlier in their career. Last night came as close to changing that as we will ever get. To see the second set and encore was very, very special. From the setlist to the way the stage was arranged, it was like getting to go back to a time in Rush's career that we missed. I absolutely love the newer material, but getting an entire set from the 74-81 time period will be an irreplaceable memory. (Full disclosure since I'm not too active here anymore and have only gotten to meet a handful of you guys in person- I got pretty damn emotional around Jacob's Ladder and had to choke back a tear when they launched into Lakeside Park).

I guess all that is just to say that we definitely appreciate it, but in a different way. Also, I'm still all geared up and can't believe what we just got to see.

Love, peace, and chicken grease.

TG

• Like 14

Well said, Territorial_Game. I can relate, being only 16 myself. I think set two is the best collection of songs one could ask for. Yeah, I love the new stuff, but my three favorite songs are Xanadu, 2112, and Cygnus X-1 (Book I). I am beyond ecstatic that all three songs are getting the nod this tour, and I can't wait to see the Newark show! '70s Rush can be hit-or-miss for me, but I love even the duds more than any other music out there. Not all of us young whippersnappers are against older music!

My top 3 Rush songs are in the set, you can't beat that!

Subdivisions

Xanadu

Hemispheres

Hell yes

Anyone saying that is full of it. Some of my favorite music growing up came out years before. Anyone can like anything. It's not like it's hard to find the older material to listen to.

Ive read a few comments on RIAB about how there were a few upset people bringing their kids and not hearing limelight, freewill etc.. and i can understand that i guess..me being only 19 ive seen Rush once on r30 and twice every tour since then. So ive been around the block with the limelights freewills yyz's and all of those so the 2nd set to me is absolutely awesome! However i can see some parents who are more casual fans being upset there kid didnt get to hear those songs...everyone's opinion is different though, I just cant wait to be in Columbus June 8th!!

I've seen and heard some comments to the effect that young fans can't really appreciate the 2nd set. Since there are a lot of us on this forum, I figured I'd share my thoughts and feelings from the show last night.

Since the second set started with Moving Pictures and worked its way backward, there are a tons of us who weren't old enough to go to shows from that era- that's if we had even been born. In talking to other fans around my age (26) and to others who maybe got into Rush a little bit later, we consistently lament the fact that we didn't get to see them earlier in their career. Last night came as close to changing that as we will ever get. To see the second set and encore was very, very special. From the setlist to the way the stage was arranged, it was like getting to go back to a time in Rush's career that we missed. I absolutely love the newer material, but getting an entire set from the 74-81 time period will be an irreplaceable memory. (Full disclosure since I'm not too active here anymore and have only gotten to meet a handful of you guys in person- I got pretty damn emotional around Jacob's Ladder and had to choke back a tear when they launched into Lakeside Park).

I guess all that is just to say that we definitely appreciate it, but in a different way. Also, I'm still all geared up and can't believe what we just got to see.

TG

Well said TG, great screen name BTW. Not sure about the grease, but you may find a goose around these parts tho,

I think you sum it up well. Although I am a fan of all things Rush (but I like to give some grief to the synth era fans) that early time period was special being a Rush fan. I luckily caught the tail end of their "serious" era (before the three stooges ushered in the comedy and synth era ;)) at the MP tour.

Nothing since then has brought that feeling back...the intensity when they opened with the pyros in Overture way back...until the second set on Friday...it was amazing. It was like the first set was my favorite modern era band as a warm up, then the real time machine was ushered in. And then Lakeside Park, Anthem, WM, WYD as a bonus encore mini set...unreal. I'm looking for hotels and tix in the NE to add a show to the two I'm lucky enough to have tix in hand for.

I'm 15 and think that set 2 is one of the best sets that I could ask for.

Awesome. What modern bands do you listen to?

Not many modern bands really. Depends what you class as modern. These are my other favourite bands (copy and pasted from my profile): :D

Fair to Midland, Dream Theater, Haken, Solstafir, Porcupine Tree, Lacuna Coil, Yes, Eluveitie, Geddy Lee solo, Machines Dream, Toseland, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Threshold, Evergrey

Ive read a few comments on RIAB about how there were a few upset people bringing their kids and not hearing limelight, freewill etc.. and i can understand that i guess..me being only 19 ive seen Rush once on r30 and twice every tour since then. So ive been around the block with the limelights freewills yyz's and all of those so the 2nd set to me is absolutely awesome! However i can see some parents who are more casual fans being upset there kid didnt get to hear those songs...everyone's opinion is different though, I just cant wait to be in Columbus June 8th!!

I totally understand this. Too many great songs.

Not many modern bands really. Depends what you class as modern. These are my other favourite bands (copy and pasted from my profile): :D

Fair to Midland, Dream Theater, Haken, Solstafir, Porcupine Tree, Lacuna Coil, Yes, Eluveitie, Geddy Lee solo, Machines Dream, Toseland, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Threshold, Evergrey

Thanks

I will check out those that i have not heard of before. I ask because in the past younger members have turned me on to some great music. Nearing 49 i need all the help i can to feel young..

These days my new fave is between the buried and me.

Thanks

I will check out those that i have not heard of before. I ask because in the past younger members have turned me on to some great music. Nearing 49 i need all the help i can to feel young..

These days my new fave is between the buried and me.

Nice, my brother likes them.

Hope you enjoy them :D .

• Like 1

TG

:goodone: