Is Permanent Waves the second-best album?

Rush Fan in Michigan

Our R40 Countdown is at No. 4, and Will surprised me by tossing Permanent Waves in that spot. (I had Roll the Bones.)

When I started my initial rankings for the project, I had Permanent Waves at No. 2 and assumed that was pretty much a universal thought that it was right behind Moving Pictures. Now ... it's wondering.

What do you think? Here's our blog for the week:

Rush R40 Countdown at No. 4: Roll the Bones and the death of baseball card collecting

A month or two ago there was a survivor type voting game on the forum to find out what the fans thought the best album was and to the surprise of many (not me) Hemispheres won. So your assumption that MP is 'the best' may not be correct.

Just some food for thought.

• Like 1

"You can tell this was a long time ago and early in our marriage, because my wife was still willing to let me play Rush with her in the car."

Ha ha!!! That's hilarious and so true of me as well! My wife endures my love for Rush (that's putting it mildly), and long gone are the days when she endured me playing them on the car stereo. As soon as I'm in the car alone, though, Rush is cranked.

The Big Wheel is one of my favorites too.

• Like 1

For me, Permanent Waves sits right at Number 7 - right behind everything that was released before it

Love Jacob's Ladder as much as anything they ever did - but on the whole, the vibe for the entire album doesn't quite draw me in as much as its predecessors ..

Still, it is awesome

I tend to rotate my top 3 albums regularly: Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves and Hemispheres. On any given day I might line them up in different orders, but they are the top 3 Rush albums.

These are also my top three, but Moving Pictures is a permanent lock at number one because of sentimental reasons.

• Like 1

"You can tell this was a long time ago and early in our marriage, because my wife was still willing to let me play Rush with her in the car."

Ha ha!!! That's hilarious and so true of me as well! My wife endures my love for Rush (that's putting it mildly), and long gone are the days when she endured me playing them on the car stereo. As soon as I'm in the car alone, though, Rush is cranked.

Are you guys joking? You're "not allowed" to listen to rush if your wife is with you?

Are you guys joking? You're "not allowed" to listen to rush if your wife is with you?

LOL. My wife was totally indifferent to Rush. She couldn't care less about them. I took my nephews to the R30 concert and she stated, "Are they still together?" Several years later, my son took to the drums and discovered my Rush CDs. Neil Peart is one of his heroes. Rush was played around the clock. My wife had no choice but to listen. With an open mind and an enthusiastic son playing the drums, she caved. She now loves Rush. She also claims she likes them more than me.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2

Wow with the tour finally here I forgot this sub forum existed.

To answer the original post. Permanent Waves is the number one best album with Moving Pictures second and Hemispheres coming in third. This is all backed up by extensive polling here at TRF.

It's not that I'm "not allowed," but since my wife doesn't really like them very much (she gave them a chance when we were dating), I just don't subject her to it. It's fine. She knows I love 'em, and she's happy that I'm getting to see them in concert. Hell...she encouraged me to go!

It's not that I'm "not allowed," but since my wife doesn't really like them very much (she gave them a chance when we were dating), I just don't subject her to it. It's fine. She knows I love 'em, and she's happy that I'm getting to see them in concert. Hell...she encouraged me to go!

You're insane!!

Brilliant album, but definitely not second best, IMO of course.

Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings, 2112, Caress of Steel, Fly by Night and Signals rank before it on my list.

However, this is just an indication of how utterly brilliant Rush's catalog (especially the early 70s-early 80s) is that it's hard for me to rank them. Probably change my mind tomorrow.

My wife suggested I go to Austin alone...sure fine with me!

I think she means that you stay there too!

I've been going alone since the R30 tour. On the way to the ampitheater one friend got into a fight with his wife on the phone and insisted on being taken back home to fight in person. The other one wouldn't stop asking questions during the show. Now I get to enjoy the show with zero drama.