Howard has outdone himself

Nate1647

Dear Lord. So yea, the two sets and encore are amazing. The stage redesign is pretty cool. The chrome kit replica (while it is PAINFUL to watch Neil having to play the ride way over to his right) is a really fun and unique idea for this tour.

But God Damn... The real star of this tour is Howard.

Just from watching the periscope stream last night I knew it was the best show they'd ever had lighting wise, but his morning I went back and watched Clockwork Angels, The Main Monkey Business, Jacobs Ladder, and both of the Cygnus's, and the lights are just on another level. At some parts he's actually playing with the band. And not just the easy "change the lights at every measure" playing, he's playing the hits in DEW, he's running cycles over the syncopated odd meter stuff in JL, He hits the flashes over that screwy bit at the end of Monkey Business. He's using the lights almost as another instrument. I can't wait to see what he has planned for some of the alternate songs the following nights! I'm gonna have to hunt him down and congratulate him in Portland when that show rolls around.

• Like 9

Dear Lord. So yea, the two sets and encore are amazing. The stage redesign is pretty cool. The chrome kit replica (while it is PAINFUL to watch Neil having to play the ride way over to his right) is a really fun and unique idea for this tour.

But God Damn... The real star of this tour is Howard.

Just from watching the periscope stream last night I knew it was the best show they'd ever had lighting wise, but his morning I went back and watched Clockwork Angels, The Main Monkey Business, Jacobs Ladder, and both of the Cygnus's, and the lights are just on another level. At some parts he's actually playing with the band. And not just the easy "change the lights at every measure" playing, he's playing the hits in DEW, he's running cycles over the syncopated odd meter stuff in JL, He hits the flashes over that screwy bit at the end of Monkey Business. He's using the lights almost as another instrument. I can't wait to see what he has planned for some of the alternate songs the following nights! I'm gonna have to hunt him down and congratulate him in Portland when that show rolls around.

We COMPLETELY take the light show and stage presentation for granted - from what I saw on these videos, the lighting, screens, images, etc. are simply brilliant. It adds so much to their live performances. Wow.

• Like 1

I'm not that familiar with Periscope - is the stream still up for viewing?

It was only on live, so I would guess not.

Was at the show last night and stopped by the sound board on the way to my seat and spoke with Howard a couple of minutes. He said he was exhausted from prepping all week. I told him I knew they were doing Jacob's Ladder and was looking forward to the lights and effects on that one and he smiled and said let me know what you thought of it after the show. He was super nice as always and I agree that he outdid himself last night. Jacob's Ladder was mind blowing.

Howard has always "Played" the lights.

He's never been somebody who would just sequence a lightshow and press a button.

Sure.. there are tons of sequenced parts... but if you ever sit behind him and just watch him you will see he is playing right along with the band. He knows the songs just as good as any hardcore fan does.