Neil's drum kit Pics?

gongbass

Anyone see any pro pics or close ups of this amazing kit? I specifically looking for a close up of that "gong drum" that looks like a vary shallow floor tom next to the 18" floor. It's not the standard 14" or 16" DW gong drum depth.

I see he has 2 LP steel timbales to his left. I'd greatly appreciate it if any had any driver seat type shots. Didn't see any on Instagram! Thanks!!

It really is amazing to see him with twin bass drums again. I always thought his new kits looked small with only one, but that's Neil's choice and I love his playing either way. It appears to be mimicking the 24" years, rather than Chromey, but I think the finish is a nod to it at least. Very very cool nonetheless. I do think it's surprising he's using LP timbales rather than something DW made, plus the temple bells... so old school haha.

Links just in case someone browsing doesn't want it to be spoiled...

From the front:

http://cygnus-x1.net....08.2015/48.jpg

And above-ish:

http://cygnus-x1.net....08.2015/29.jpg

• Like 1

Neil is softening in his old age. Never in my life did I think he would go back and use to old setup. Especially with the ride cymbal clear on the right above the floor and the straight line concert toms. Not to mention the two bass drums. Neil caved for the fans and I respect him for it!

Not sure how long he'll be able to play the ride over there. Its so inefficient and it is painful to play if you are coming from a jazz setup.

Not sure how long he'll be able to play the ride over there. Its so inefficient and it is painful to play if you are coming from a jazz setup.

I'm so tired of seeing everybody and their brother playing 4 piece kits. Sure it's less stuff to haul around, but it comes with a price of fewer voices to speak with.(not to mention big kits just look so much cooler) I honestly think a lot of drummers today(especially locally) have gotten lazy. Everything has to be real close so they don't expend themselves. I don't use a big kit all the time but when I do and drummers sit in, they sometimes have a look like they are reading Chinese. LOL Neil didn't start on a jazz kit so I'm sure he got used to it faster when he went back to this kit.

Edited by presto123
  • Like 1

I find it quite comfortable with the ride in that position

Neil obviously did too for 25+ years

He muscle memory probably went right back to it

His jazz set up was fine when he was trying to play like that

Once he pretty much went back to his old style his old kit should have followed:)

I'm so tired of seeing everybody and their brother playing 4 piece kits. Sure it's less stuff to haul around, but it comes with a price of fewer voices to speak with.(not to mention big kits just look so much cooler) I honestly think a lot of drummers today(especially locally) have gotten lazy. Everything has to be real close so they don't expend themselves. I don't use a big kit all the time but when I do and drummers sit in, they sometimes have a look like they are reading Chinese. LOL Neil didn't start on a jazz kit so I'm sure he got used to it faster when he went back to this kit.

I play with my ride in the jazz position, but I play a 9 piece kit haha. Very similar to Neil's setup. And you can hear the difference in the Tulsa recordings. He plays much more rigidly on the old setup. Some people I prefer that I guess, but his smoothness and power has been completely amplified since about 2007 or so when he really started getting loose.