55 replies to this topic

#41 JDC

JDC

The Seeker

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:42 PM

View Postbathory, on 10 May 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

from what I've observed at the 3 shows I've been to, the standard procedure is to stand up for the first song, sit down until tom sawyer, then leave.
What a colossal waste of money that would have been on the Signals tour when TS was the second song

Sponsored Post

#42 Justin Case

Justin Case

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1560 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:46 PM

Shouldn't we be more concerned with what the people BEHIND us are doing instead of in front?  Who cares if the people in front of you are sitting if the folks behind are standing and you won't interfere with anyone's enjoyment?

#43 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

That's It™ Sig

• Members
  • 15996 posts
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

Last night in tampa 90% of my section stood the entire show.  The people sitting appeared to be non fans brought by a boyfriend/girlfriend based on their general lack of enthusiasm for the entire show.  I didn't hear anyone complain.

#44 satchmothesnowdog

satchmothesnowdog

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1235 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:28 PM

I had a bad accident, broke my back in three places and crushed my heel. Had many surgeries to repair the stuff and live in chronic pain, but I will stand at shows. I f***ing hate it, but I stand. So just remember not everyone is some damn fud. Some people just really can't deal with it and maybe, just maybe try thinking about your actions affect on the rest of the world once in awhile.

#45 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6471 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostJustin Case, on 24 May 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

Shouldn't we be more concerned with what the people BEHIND us are doing instead of in front?  Who cares if the people in front of you are sitting if the folks behind are standing and you won't interfere with anyone's enjoyment?

True, but if the folks in front of me are standing, and if I were to sit and couldn't see Rush, wouldn't I choose to stand?

#46 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:50 PM

View Postsatchmothesnowdog, on 25 May 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

I had a bad accident, broke my back in three places and crushed my heel. Had many surgeries to repair the stuff and live in chronic pain, but I will stand at shows. I f***ing hate it, but I stand. So just remember not everyone is some damn fud. Some people just really can't deal with it and maybe, just maybe try thinking about your actions affect on the rest of the world once in awhile.

Exactly. Some people have to sit. But said people are wiser if they sit in loge or upper bowl tiered seating.

The floor is no place for sitters, I agree. But again....standard concert etiquette dictates that whatever your section is doing en masse, you ought to be doing it too. If everyone's sitting except for you, you're being a pain in the ass to a a hundred other people, no matter how much you paid for your ticket.

I never understand the ppl who clearly know they're the only ones standing up (thus blocking the 20 folks behind them) in a section. If you really must shake your booty despite crowd preference, ask an usher to relocate you to a section where they're doing that. They almost always will accommodate you.

#47 Justin Case

Justin Case

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1560 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:50 PM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 25 May 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

True, but if the folks in front of me are standing, and if I were to sit and couldn't see Rush, wouldn't I choose to stand?

Not suggesting you shouldn't stand...your 2 options in that situation would be to stand yourself or ask the folks in front of you to sit.  Personally, I'll always take option A.  The problem could occur, though, when the people behind want to sit and decide to be less professional about the situation.  IMO...people should expect that people stand at concerts and plan accordingly.  Unless you're going to see Itzak Perlman or something, it should be the norm.

#48 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6471 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:15 PM

View PostJustin Case, on 25 May 2015 - 12:50 PM, said:

View PostGabrielgil513, on 25 May 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

Not suggesting you shouldn't stand...your 2 options in that situation would be to stand yourself or ask the folks in front of you to sit.  Personally, I'll always take option A.  The problem could occur, though, when the people behind want to sit and decide to be less professional about the situation.  IMO...people should expect that people stand at concerts and plan accordingly.  Unless you're going to see Itzak Perlman or something, it should be the norm.

How many Perlman shows have you been :)

You are spot on. I've been in those situations, and it's very awkward. I would never want to tap someone's shoulder at a show asking them to sit. Yet I want to be polite, yet I don't want to shout over Rush and explain the situation to them. Hopefully the sitters are willing to wait for a break in the songs without spilling a beer on me and willing to talk politely to the folks in front of me about sitting. Lose lose situation.

#49 satchmothesnowdog

satchmothesnowdog

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1235 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

View PostBard, on 25 May 2015 - 12:50 PM, said:

View Postsatchmothesnowdog, on 25 May 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

Exactly. Some people have to sit. But said people are wiser if they sit in loge or upper bowl tiered seating.

The floor is no place for sitters, I agree. But again....standard concert etiquette dictates that whatever your section is doing en masse, you ought to be doing it too. If everyone's sitting except for you, you're being a pain in the ass to a a hundred other people, no matter how much you paid for your ticket.

I never understand the ppl who clearly know they're the only ones standing up (thus blocking the 20 folks behind them) in a section. If you really must shake your booty despite crowd preference, ask an usher to relocate you to a section where they're doing that. They almost always will accommodate you.
I usually gut it out, but sometimes I have to sit for a bit. That's why Neil wrote the Garden, so I can sit and not care :)  But I'd never be the dick who just stood up just to shake my ass when the mass was sitting, that's asshattery.

#50 Wingmaster

Wingmaster

The Seeker

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:16 AM

View PostCaressMySteel, on 09 May 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

I'm 6'3. I stand at concert and sporting events. I usually tell the people behind me in advance to give them fair warning. I just spent $1,400 on 4 Rush tickets for the show in Austin. You better damn well believe I'm going to be standing on my feet all night and not sitting on my hands. If that bothers the people behind me (who probably spent close to the same pre ticket) then I'm sorry, but that's the risk you take. It's a rock concert. What do people expect?

It's unreasonable to expect people on the floor to sit.  JMO

I do not consider that to be the case in the stands however.  Last tour in we had three drunk people in front of us standing, and not such that you could move to a spot and look around them, but flailing their arms, moving all around, interchanging seats with their sitting buddies at times, it made the concert for me and my family unpleasant and difficult to watch in peace.  They literally, single-handedly, had a good chunk of the section behind them standing whenever they decided to stand, when otherwise <I>everyone</I> sat down.

I think that it's unreasonable for people in the front rows of the upper sections to stand and expect everyone else to do the same.  The floor is different for several reasons, one that you stated, people pay money and the expectation is to stand, even for me, but also because it's not elevated seating, so it makes more sense.

Quite frankly, I'd be in favor of simply open floor space w/o seats on the floor.  They could sell some more tix too.  Everyone stands all the time, so the seats just get in the way.

#51 Xanadu

Xanadu

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1703 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:27 AM

I do the same as a lot of others here - I stand on the floor and just sort of follow the flow otherwise. I don't want to be the one jackass standing when everyone else is sitting.

As far as open floor spaces, I don't agree for a couple of reasons. 1) That makes it a general admission free-for-all. No thanks. Especially if I pay more to be closer, then I want that space reserved for me. 2) Seating helps people keep some distance. I don't care much for people behind me breathing down my neck, continuously bumping me, stepping on my feet, spilling beer that ends up all over me (yes, this actually happened), it gets way too hot, etc etc. etc.A little distance is a VERY good thing with that many people for a ton of reasons.

Edited by Xanadu, 26 May 2015 - 11:21 AM.

#52 30kwpa

30kwpa

The Seeker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Pink Floyd and RUSH memorabilia, fireworks, North Carolina Tar Heels - ACC - college basketball, weird places - useless facts/trivia, recycling beer at the beach, collecting 70's junk and other weird stuff, frying things, building stuff - houses, porches, decks, structural repairs, etc., smelling things, dreams and dreaming, paranormal stuff, space shuttle missions

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:24 PM

Precisely why I got tickets in the 300 level for Tampa. I am old now and have difficulty standing for long periods of time. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to sit down, listen to the music and watch the show with minimal interruptions. And once again... I don't put on RUSH music at home and... ummm... dance, so I sure as hell ain't gonna do it in public. I do have a bit of empathy for those who may choose to exude their passions more physically but I don't have to agree with it or like it and generally remain polite and tolerant. Tonight in Atlanta will be different. I'm 12th row center so I'll have to stand if I want to see what I paid for. It is what it is and... whatever.

Edited by 30kwpa, 26 May 2015 - 12:24 PM.

#53 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2223 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:45 PM

View PostAncient Ways, on 25 May 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:

Last night in tampa 90% of my section stood the entire show.  The people sitting appeared to be non fans brought by a boyfriend/girlfriend based on their general lack of enthusiasm for the entire show.  I didn't hear anyone complain.

Yep...section 130 was standing in full force. Amazing show, amazing seats, amazing crowd.

#54 stone and a hard place

stone and a hard place

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 968 posts
  • Interests:rush

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:50 PM

View Postpfrushfan0122, on 09 May 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

So I went to the Tulsa show and had a blast! By far my favorite show of all time, and I won't give spoilers :) However, it would've been much better if the guy behind me hadn't been a drunk a**hole.

So, like a normal person at a ROCK concert along with everyone else in the first 4 rows of our section, we stood up even though we were stage side up in the bowl of the BOK center. It was a great view regardless of whether you were standing or sitting. For about 3/4 of the first set, I jammed out on my air instruments with my three other friends, and then I feel a tap on my shoulder from this guy behind us. He says "C'mon guys sit down, we have great seats." So we kindly oblige, but the people in front of us are still standing, and then we ask them to sit down, but they encourage us to stand back up. So with this in mind, we do that and everything goes back to normal.

About 5 minutes later, my friend hears rustling behind him and a spillage. He turns around to see the guy spilled a beer "accidentally" all over his flag he had brought. We think to ourselves, alright benefit of the doubt, its a coincidence.  

At intermission, my friend leaves and goes to wash out his flag. I talk to the guy during intermission and attempt to explain my side of the story and why we're standing, but he wanted none of it. He was not even that intoxicated at this point, but he said "I asked you all "nicely" to sit down, but you didn't, so shit happens and your friend's seat got wet." I was getting pissed at this point, but remained my cool and tried to talk to the guy a little more to diffuse everything. Yet again he wanted none of it and was making derragatory comments about my size (in terms of weight and height) and wanted to "take this "argument" outside."

As an aside: Look, I know I'm a pretty big dude, but get over it.

Anyway, at this point, I just turn around and wish him well and start taking photos of the stage. As this happens, I can hear him bitching about us to this lady behind him, and now I'm just done. So, I run to an usher at the top of the arena and explain my story and she was very helpful and pleasant and agreed that this was getting out of hand.

During the first song of the second set, she got security to come talk to the guy and he didn't do anything/say anything from there on out.

I would've sat down/exchanged seats with the guy if he would've handled the situation differently and gave me and my friends respect or if more than 50% of our section was sitting, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

So, TL;DR, what is your stance on standing at concerts? Was I in the right for standing and doing what I did?

stand--only sit if everyone else in front of you is sitting. The guy was a jerk.

#55 Gilbertk

Gilbertk

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1150 posts
  • Interests:Making music, carpentry, travel

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:31 PM

I'll sit if everyone else is, and I did at my last show in Nashville. It's totally fine if everyone is polite about it, we all still had a great time. But if several people around me are standing, I will too because that's what I want to do anyways. Like you said, I would have cooperated with the guy but he clearly was being an a**hole about it so I think you didn't the right and smart thing

#56 Self-Indulgence

Self-Indulgence

The Professor

• Members
  • 4622 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:56 PM

I sure hope everyone stands at The Forum show. There's not a lot of leg room were my seat is. And I'm 6'5".

Posted Image
They'll be plenty of time for sitting during the break.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Standing, Rush, r40

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users