#21 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:00 PM

View PostCaressMySteel, on 10 May 2015 - 05:33 PM, said:

View PostBard, on 10 May 2015 - 03:20 AM, said:

Haha, more folks who don't give a f**k about anyone's concert experience around them.

Weird how there's so many of you who simply don't care about the people around you.

It's all symbiotic, and really not that hard to work out, with a few kind words and general respect. Communal appreciation of art works best when things are handled with give and take for everyone involved.
It's a Rush concert. Who the hell sits at a Rush concert?  If you're going to sit in your sit like a lump why not just stay home?

It's not about sitting or standing. It's about going with the crowd flow, being a symbiotic audience. It happens a lot. And sometimes it doesn't. Usually because of a minority.

LOL, if any classic rock bands have fans that sit and immerse themselves in the music, instead of fist pumping and dancing, it's Rush nerds. I know. I watch 'em do it. I'm not somebody who sits at a Rush concert....unless everyone around me is doing the same.

It's not nice to disregard others at a communal gathering of art and joy.

Sponsored Post

#22 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:21 PM

on the lawn I stand and only had one guy ask me to sit down, he was a dick but security was on my side considering we're on the lawn and it's on you to move if you're uncomfortable on the lawn (that's what all the open space is for, dildo!)

I had a seat at nashville and sat through some songs but I mostly stood, I was at the top of my section and wasn't obstructing anyone's view but I still kinda felt like a weirdo standing up for the songs I was into because everyone around me looked 100% f***ing bored.

#23 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:26 PM

from what I've observed at the 3 shows I've been to, the standard procedure is to stand up for the first song, sit down until tom sawyer, then leave.

#24 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:30 PM

Like I said, it really depends on the audience flow. A good concert will have the crowd pumped up and in synch. A bad show will have fights and brawls and dumbfucks who sing the songs too loud, or people seat crashing or section crashing, or stage rushing, or booing.

Been to too many of those, alas.

But a great concert is a lifetime memory.

#25 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:35 PM

I've never felt any sort of "in synch" vibe from a rush crowd except during the encores on the last two tours. oh and when sawyer started set 2 on the TM tour. people in my section always look like they'd rather be anywhere but at a rush concert.

maiden's crowd is my favorite crowd

#26 Aikenrooster

Aikenrooster

Freightdreamliner

• Members *
  • 8725 posts
  • Interests:Empathy.

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

View Postbathory, on 10 May 2015 - 08:35 PM, said:

I've never felt any sort of "in synch" vibe from a rush crowd except during the encores on the last two tours. oh and when sawyer started set 2 on the TM tour. people in my section always look like they'd rather be anywhere but at a rush concert.

Yeah, ain't nobody sitting at a Maiden show.

#27 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:50 PM

View PostAyn Rand, on 10 May 2015 - 08:45 PM, said:

everyone's standing but no one's moshing...it's total perfection

#28 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:20 PM

that does suck, lol.

I've had some pretty in synch crowds for Rush in SoCal. SnA at the Hollywood Bowl in '07 was a good example of a crowd being fully pumped and amp'd yet controlled and in harmony. It's pretty rare to see aggro behavior at Rush, admittedly. But it's been known to happen.

The second leg of SnA in '08 at the new Nokia in downtown LA was a more laid back crowd, but into it nonetheless.

The Gibson Universal Amp LA Time Machine shows were madhouses, but that was 'cause they were playing such a small venue instead of their usual arenas.

'92 Roll the Bones in Irvine was another madhouse...but that's cause of the OC crowds more than anything else.

Scorpions fans are an entity unto themselves, I have to add.

But so are Rush nerds. In SoCal, anyway. :)

#29 got rush?

got rush?

The Seeker

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Anything that involves RUSH ON TOUR.
    Saving all year just to buy RUSH TIXS.
    Wearing RUSH caps, shirts and other RUSH SWAG.
    Maybe win M&G again but actually get to meet them. Lol lol

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:35 PM

Who goes to see RUSH Live and sits in their seats?  The wife and I have never (NEVER) sat for even 1 song during our 14 shows over the years. We have usually been in the first 5 rows or closer for most of them.  Even in the lower bowl seats we never sit.
I'm really not sure how we would react to someone behind us demanding us to sit down. Maybe let him sit in our seats in front of us?  Depends on where his seat is.
We sure wouldn't want to spoil any other Rush Fans experience. Same goes for our experience.
We stand, air drum, dance, scream, and down right make fools of our selfs.
This is what Rush Fans do. We don't stand still for 3 hours. Sit still either.
So, we sure hope nobody behind us shows their ass. Ha. Lol.
RUSH ON people's.

Edited by got rush?, 10 May 2015 - 11:35 PM.

#30 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:43 PM

That's exactly why I like to sit as close as possible.  The closer you are, the more people are into it.

#31 78jazz

78jazz

The Seeker

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

View Postx1yyz, on 10 May 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:

View Post78jazz, on 10 May 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

View Postx1yyz, on 09 May 2015 - 11:56 AM, said:

If you're into the show you stand up.  If you don't like it, you sit.  It's better to have a full house of excited people than it is a bunch of fuddy-duddies just sitting there.

I get the point here, but I think if you can nail 10,000+ butts down to their seats that is quite the command and power of the music you are pumping out.

I see it as the opposite.  Sitting is passive and standing is active.  So if I band can get 10,000 butts out of their seats, that shows the power and the energy of the music!

If this is the case, how do you rationalize the memories of those who attended Doors' concerts in 1967 and 1968? That is a kind of power that being energetic doesn't reach.

#32 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:55 AM

View Postgot rush?, on 10 May 2015 - 11:35 PM, said:

Who goes to see RUSH Live and sits in their seats?  The wife and I have never (NEVER) sat for even 1 song during our 14 shows over the years. We have usually been in the first 5 rows or closer for most of them.  Even in the lower bowl seats we never sit.
I'm really not sure how we would react to someone behind us demanding us to sit down. Maybe let him sit in our seats in front of us?  Depends on where his seat is.
We sure wouldn't want to spoil any other Rush Fans experience. Same goes for our experience.
We stand, air drum, dance, scream, and down right make fools of our selfs.
This is what Rush Fans do. We don't stand still for 3 hours. Sit still either.
So, we sure hope nobody behind us shows their ass. Ha. Lol.
RUSH ON people's.

A lot of Rush fans sit and close their eyes and not infrequently, are crying or tripping or whatever.

Rush fans in particular, I would say, especially those off the floor, sit more often than most other hard rock shows.

It's more a visceral existential experience, I suppose.

Few fans sit at AC/DC or Van Halen. But Rush? A fair amount, in my experiences.

#33 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:01 PM

View PostAyn Rand, on 10 May 2015 - 08:45 PM, said:

If you want to sit all night go see Michael Buble

#34 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:09 PM

There's nothing wrong with sitting at a concert, LOL.

But again....you have to pretty much go with the flow of your section.

Everybody stands on the floor. It's just how it is.

But in the loge or upper bowls...you have to be respectful of your surroundings.

If you are the only one standing in a section where everyone else (hundreds of people) are sitting.....sit the f**k down, or ask an usher to relocate you to a standing section.

It's really not rocket science. :)

#35 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:13 PM

Some people even need to be told How to properly sit

Posted Image

#36 gudbuytjane

gudbuytjane

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 858 posts
  • Interests:0111000001101001011110100111101001100001

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

I feel like this topic is more at the front of my mind as I'm in my mid-40's and inherited arthritis in my legs (thanks, Dad!). I sometimes just have to sit down and rest, though truthfully in those cases usually the people around me are really quite observant and offer to sit, but I tell them to stand and that I'll rejoin them in a minute. Also, it helps if I make sure I have access to, erm, pain management strategies. :)

#37 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2223 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

In Vegas I am on the floor 8th row.....no f***ing way I am sitting. I have never sat on the floor.

Ever.

Now in Tampa I am sitting on the side section (amazing seats as well) so my son can see the band in all their glory. If people are sitting in front of me.....I will sit (as hard as that is) but if if they stand...I stand.

Common courtesy.

But on the floor if your expecting to sit.....don't get floor tickets.

#38 Fat Stick

Fat Stick

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

Standing or sitting... It all comes down to being 'that guy'.

#39 Self-Indulgence

Self-Indulgence

The Professor

• Members
  • 4622 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

I only have two rows in front of me at my LA Forum loge seat. If they sit, I might as well. I can never remember sitting at a Rush show, though. Way too excited.

#40 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6471 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

If the row in front of me is standing, I stand. I didn't pay hundreds of dollars to look at the fans in front of me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Standing, Rush, r40

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users