Observations from those that were there?

Jaminbenb

Wasn't able to really see the videos and the detail of the stage show on my feed, so I guess my big questions are what were the videos like?

Heard that they were "removing" pieces of gear as the show went on? What did they do?

Did they use the fan pics that everyone sent in?

Looked like the light show was off the charts...talk about it!!!

Edited by Jaminbenb

All the fan pics they asked us to submit. They showed a couple of quick montages of those. Opening video was an animated trip through time. Intermission video was a medley of outtakes from other set opening/closing videos concluding with Southpark/Tom Sawyer. Closing video has the guys not being on the guest list for a party in their own dressing room. All the characters from the album covers are living it up!

Props. They start out with the CA stage. During songs, they gradually morph the stage. Alex starts getting amps in front of his steampunk stuff. Geddy's stuff folds into fake dryers.

2nd set. Stacks of amps on both sides. They gradually start to disappear as they get to the early years.

Encore. They just have a couple of amps on wood chairs with two ghetto light stands. Minimal lighting effects on the first three songs, then we get big time lights again for Working Man.

Lights in general were great. No lasers til Jacob's Ladder, and there are multiple colors!

• Like 2

My quick review (spoilers of course)

This was the best show I've seen from them in a couple of tours. The guys were playing hard and having fun and it was awesome to watch. I was in the 9th row, dead center.

The format of the show worked well, starting off with the present and working backwards into the past, along with the roadies constantly changing the stage behind them. My only wish was that they wouldn't have played so many CA songs. Those were just featured on the last tour and i would have rather they cut one or two of them and added some older ones. I would have rather heard Between the Wheels, Camera Eye, or YYZ instead of Clockwork Angels, but that's the way it is. I would have even settled for BU2B, instead of CA as that song rocks live.

Hearing some of the old songs live was awesome. Lakeside Park? Jacob's Ladder? Xanadu? Are you kidding me? Amazing! Hemispheres sounded great. Loved seeing the double-necks! The extra parts of 2112 that they played were great. The entire second set was total awesomeness. And nobody could convince me that Neil has tendonitis from the way he played. This was, IMO, the best drum solo in a few tours. Maybe because it was simpler, or maybe because it was opening night and he was fresh, but it sounded great.

The videos were pretty good. Opening with a cartoon montage of how they had changed over the years was well done. The second set opened with bloopers from past videos, which were hilarious. That morphed into the South Park intro for Tom Sawyer. During Roll the Bones, the talking head rap video was replaced with celebrities doing the rap: Paul Rudd, Peter Dinklage, Jason Siegel, the Trailer Park Boys and a couple others. That was great. Eugene Levy's encore intro was hilarious, and as someone else mentioned, the gym backdrop during the encore looked perfect. My only complaint about the videos was that they were projected on a curtain in front of the screen. Those of us down front had to really look up to see them.

Overall it was awesome! If this is indeed their final tour of this type, then they are going out on a massive high note.

*edited to add more people in the RTB video

I got a ton of pics. When I get home and can sort them out on my computer to see which ones look decent, I will post some.

Edited by OldRod
  • Like 3

"They opened with Clockwork Angels and two others from the album, then two from Snakes and Arrows. Then One Little Victory from Vapor Trails. It all cranked hard but the rest of the first set blew off the late 80's. Set two was 70's Denim Jacket Set. Other than Closer to the Heart it was power cords all night. I would have done set one different, I'm not sure how I feel about it"

That is what I posted to a friend on the Book of Face yesterday and almost 24 hours later I don't feel any different. Frankly if this is my last Rush concert I feel disappointed but most of that is the venue and my seats not the band. For the "last damn tour" I would have trimmed down CA and S&A to add stuff from Power Windows through Presto.

Highlights are the 70's Orgasm Set, Geddy playing guitar on the double neck, Neil smiling twice in the first twenty minutes, the video introduction, the RTB rap video, the stage set devolving from big budget Steam Punk to garage band in the high school gym. Partying with global Rush fans and the SOCN Crew at McNellie's Pub, Tulsa.

• Like 1

Closing video has the guys not being on the guest list for a party in their own dressing room. All the characters from the album covers are living it up!
Dude, cool to see you Thursday!

That video had me feeling like a chump. I thought for a moment they'd come back out for another song or two...gasp like The Big Money.

:(

Please be gentle...flame on!

Part of me thought they'd be locked out and have to come out and play one more!

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Especially when they turned around and walked back down the hallway from the direction the came which would mean they were heading back towards the stage!!!

Part of me thought they'd be locked out and have to come out and play one more! Nice meeting you as well.

Heh, I was hoping for that as well!

Glad I'm not the only one who expected another song, ya know opening night and all.

*For the record it was still a fab show...

Part of me thought they'd be locked out and have to come out and play one more! Nice meeting you as well.

Yeah, I kept waiting for them to say "Oh well, let's just keep playing" and come out one more time.

Heh, I was hoping for that as well!

Maybe there's an alternate version of the video that they can hit IF the crowd is showing more love! (and they can come out and play Fancy Dancer?)

Maybe Tulsa didn't show enough love but other cities may get more love after the video? Probably not.

I've never seen a crowd give more love than we gave.

It's my wife's fault, the heat at the BOK Center got to her so she started quieting down.

A young married couple in front of me didn't come back for the second set. I took their seats and put out enough energy for 3.

It's my wife's fault, the heat at the BOK Center got to her so she started quieting down.

A young married couple in front of me didn't come back for the second set. I took their seats and put out enough energy for 3.

Bet they only do it in Toronto!!

Maybe Tulsa didn't show enough love but other cities may get more love after the video? Probably not.

I've never seen a crowd give more love than we gave.

Maybe, I think we gave more love in 1983 at Radio City Music Hall although I can't be sure because I was high.

Must have been Presto fans. Certainly not Clockwork Angels fans. ;)

Wonder if they are kicking themselves after missing the most epic of all second sets? :)