Transferring Stuff From One USB Stick To Another

Lorraine

Our local Kroger store had a sale on these. I was able to get a 32GB stick for $19.99 this morning, which I understand is a good price as it was marked down from $42.00.

Can someone walk me through copying my Rush stuff from one stick to another? Or would it be easier to bring the blank stick and the one with the Rush stuff on it to the store and ask them to do it for me?

I just noticed that the stick I bought says it is compatible with Windows 7, 8 and Vista. We have XP. Is that a problem?

It should be compatible with anything... XP shouldn't be a problem (unless we are talking multiple terabytes)

1. Insert both sticks into USB ports.

2. Open Windows Explorer (the little file folder on your desktop - if none, look for "My Computer")

3. Find which is the Rush drive (e: or f: or g: or whatever)

4. click on that drive letter and in the right pane:

5. select one folder or file in blue and the hold down CTRL and press A so all are selected in blue

6. RIGHT click on any blue highlighted (doesn't matter which) and choose "Copy" - NOT CUT

7. Find your new drive you bought at Kroger (again, will be e: or f: or whatever and should have no files or folders in it yet)

8. RIGHT click in the right pane blank space and choose "Paste"

Should all copy from one to the other and now you have 2 copies...

• Like 2

Mike, they are in folders - one has all the albums, studio and live - the other folder has bootlegs.

If I right click and choose copy, will it copy all that is in the folder? Or do I have to go into the folder and do each album/bootleg?

Sorry if this sounds stupid. I didn't grow up with computers and never had any formal training. Anything I know about them or using one, which isn't much, I found out on my own.

Mike, they are in folders - one has all the albums, studio and live - the other folder has bootlegs.

If I right click and choose copy, will it copy all that is in the folder? Or do I have to go into the folder and do each album/bootleg?

Sorry if this sounds stupid. I didn't grow up with computers and never had any formal training. Anything I know about them or using one, which isn't much, I found out on my own.

Yep! It will copy that folder and all contents inside that folder (including all subfolders, etc)...

• Like 2

Before I start this, what's the worse that can happen if I do something wrong? Normally I wouldn't care, but I can't replace the contents. I could, I guess, but it would take a very long time.

You should be fine - just don't select "cut", but instead select copy... Although even if you "cut" and "pasted" instead of "copy and paste" it would basically just move everything from one to the other...

• Like 1

I agree that you should be fine as long as you don't cut or delete anything. You should be able to just drag the file folders from one drive to the other in windows explorer.

It does not matter how it copies.

I always have 2 or 3 backups for my files.

If you have ever LOST anything, you would do it too.

I have always done it for work, and I learned to do it for personal stuff about 7 years ago.

I have an external stick/ hard drive in my safe, with all photos, music, work stuff, update it every 4 months.

It's an awesome backup. PC's/ Laptops never last forever

Success!

I can now sleep peacefully at night knowing that if anything ever happens to my original stick, I have another! :)

Thank you everyone for your help. It's not hard to do at all.

That's great! Most things on the computer are really simple once you know how to do them.

• Like 1

Now I have to borrow from Peter to pay Paul so I can replace the money I took, but it is worth the peace of mind.

Seriously Lorraine, when you get some extra cash, back it all up on another stick and file it away.

You'll have peace of mind to know that

I have another question.

Since my DVD player is on the blink, and I have a bit of space left on the USB stick, does anyone here know how I can transfer my DVDs of Exit...Stage Left and Moving Pictures Tour to the stick so I can watch them?

I have another question.

Since my DVD player is on the blink, and I have a bit of space left on the USB stick, does anyone here know how I can transfer my DVDs of Exit...Stage Left and Moving Pictures Tour to the stick so I can watch them?

That's a little more difficult and involves first ripping the DVD using something like DVD Shrink then copying those files to the stick... I don't even know where to get DVD Shrink nowadays, maybe someone else knows of a better software now for that... Keep in mind a DVD will generally be at least 4 gigs, so not many will probably fit on your thumb drive...

I just thought it could be done because the person who sent me my original stick included Time Machine Tour and parts of S&A Tour and Oh! Atlanta. She must have gotten them off of youtube.

That very well could be. You can rip videos off of YouTube.