Is Steven Spielberg the BIGGEST name in film..so far?

Tom Sawyer

Jaws ALONE is a masterpiece upon a masterpiece's mantle of masterpieces, ...in solid GOLD. To say the least,... yet consider the plethora of culturally significant ....... John Hughes is number two by the way!!

Spielberg is probably the biggest name of his generation. It would be unfair to compare him with past greats.

This is no different than debating the greatest NFL quarterback, or guitarist, or actor, etc.

• Like 1

I really think if you tally up critical consensus and commercial and box-office success it wouldn't be close.

Personally, he's not my favorite filmmaker, but I don't let that cloud the fact he's probably the most consistent director, both artistically and commercially.

Hard to judge. Can't go by box office tally because movie prices have skyrocketed the last decade or so. You'd almost have to go by decade or maybe every 20-30 years or so. Edited by EagleMoon

As far as directing goes, yes. He is to directing what Beatles are to music. Scorsese would be Stones which is fitting considering his use of their music in films. I see Kubrick as the directing equivalent of Pink Floyd's music.

As far as living acting goes, Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep are the biggest. Might have to include Julia Roberts, Tom Cruise and Robert DeNiro there as well in terms of icon status.

• Like 1

Of his same generation, I prefer much more Ridley Scott (Black Hawk Down >> Saving Private Ryan for example)

My personal Directors' Trinity remains Kubrick, Coppola and Sergio Leone; not many movies but many masterpieces.

Scorsese / De Niro the best director / actor couple together and Clint Eastwood the only one both a great actor and a great director.

In all honesty, and this isn't me saying he is the best director, but I agree. He must be the biggest name!

I mean, his name is placed on dozens and dozens of big movies he never even directed!

But James Cameron must be on a similar level...

Spielberg is without a doubt the biggest name, most of his projects are epic.

Terry Gilliam anybody?

• Like 2

Stanley Kubrick

Alfred Hitchcock

David Lynch

Lynch is hard to watch twice IMO

The 70's belonged to FFC. Spielberg doesn't seem to miss a step. Eastwood is really the only name deserving a spot next to Steve.

However, Herzog is my favorite. His documentaries are all great. I want to see Queen of the Desert but I don't even think its been released.

• Like 1

Terry Gilliam anybody?

He's lost in La Mancha brother

He's still plotting revenge on Universal Studios for their hatchet job on Brazil.....

• Like 1

Terry Gilliam anybody?

He's lost in La Mancha brother

He's still plotting revenge on Universal Studios for their hatchet job on Brazil.....

Even though he got them to distribute 12 Monkeys and Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas although I think Focus would have released the latter had that indie division of theirs existed then. Same with Sony's Munchausen debacle. They ended up having a hit with Fisher King thanks to Williams' star power.