The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Listening to Ellipsis now and I've just finished Small Wishes...perhaps predictably for me I loved that song, lol. So far I'm liking this probably more than Puzzles!

Yay! Yeah I think in many ways I love it more now too.

It really is hard for me to say, you've been listening for a few weeks, me, nearly two decades. I am firmly entrenched in Biffy and their entire body of work.

Like I said, they are all my favourite album ������

I find it really strange that they're so famous in Britain and mostly unheard of in the US. Like, I'd heard their name before and I knew someone in my dorm who recommended them to me once, but otherwise I've been living in a world where Biffy Clyro doesn't exist. They don't get radio play, they don't show up on my rock news e-mails, they don't come up in conversation with other rock fans...I don't get why. If I had to guess, I wonder if it really is just the singer's very Scottish accent, lol.

Just finished the album btw, yes I definitely prefer that to Puzzle!

Puzzle was a revelation when released, but they have taken its sound to so many new highs, it's easy, and even a compliment, to say their subsequent work appeals more!

You should honestly enjoy all the records in between. I love the early albums too.

Listening to Ellipsis now and I've just finished Small Wishes...perhaps predictably for me I loved that song, lol. So far I'm liking this probably more than Puzzles!

It really is hard for me to say, you've been listening for a few weeks, me, nearly two decades. I am firmly entrenched in Biffy and their entire body of work.

I find it really strange that they're so famous in Britain and mostly unheard of in the US. Like, I'd heard their name before and I knew someone in my dorm who recommended them to me once, but otherwise I've been living in a world where Biffy Clyro doesn't exist. They don't get radio play, they don't show up on my rock news e-mails, they don't come up in conversation with other rock fans...I don't get why. If I had to guess, I wonder if it really is just the singer's very Scottish accent, lol.

They don't get any promotion in the US because we've already got our own version of that band with Foo Fighters.

They don't get any promotion in the US because we've already got our own version of that band with Foo Fighters.

Biffy are very, very different bro Foo Fighters. But whatever.

• Like 1

They're a bit more versatile in their songwriting and on the album I heard, they don't have those random bouts of rage that the Foos do but there is no denying the similarities in sound.

They're a bit more versatile in their songwriting and on the album I heard, they don't have those random bouts of rage that the Foos do but there is no denying the similarities in sound.

Try Vertigo Of Bliss or Infinity Land.

There are similarities, but their is a lot more going on in Biffy's sound than Foos.

There are similarities, but their is a lot more going on in Biffy's sound than Foos.

Yeah, they do have more going on. That's why I said they are more versatile songwriters. I listened to Puzzles like a month or so ago and liked it but never got back around to them since it was in the middle of my Trivium honeymoon at the time. Maybe I'll give those other ones a try.

Yeah, they do have more going on. That's why I said they are more versatile songwriters. I listened to Puzzles like a month or so ago and liked it but never got back around to them since it was in the middle of my Trivium honeymoon at the time. Maybe I'll give those other ones a try.

See I love Puzzle. The reason that album is so straightforward is simple: when lead singer Simon lost his mother, he wanted the message in his words to not be lost in the experimental madness they'd had in their sound up to that point. They smoothed out the edges, and streamlined their sound, because the album is essentially an ode to her memory.

It helped that the songwriting was exquisite. I proudly watched them go from major UK cult favourites on the underground scene to chart busting superstars! Only Rihanna kept them off the number one spot.

The more experimental side of the band never left them, Puzzle still has wonderfully crazy moments, but the next album Only Revolutions really bridges the gap between the older, quirkier style, and their ascent to rock gods over here.

They have such a wonderful, diverse sound that they rarely put a foot wrong with old and new school fans. They are the rare band that made it big that never really faced a fan backlash.

They are really special to me. They did what Funeral For A Friend came so close to doing: trading massive early critical acclaim for critical acclaim AND roaring mainstream success.

I'm diverting away from the original topic now, but if you asked me in 2005 who was most likely to become the most iconic British band of the 2000s between FFAF and BC, I'd have said FFAF.

FFAF are creating buzz around themselves again in the UK with a reunion tour. They were hugely influential on the post hardcore scene, but they proved to be a little to diverse at times for fans. They flip flopped between heartfelt hard rock/metal and equally heartfelt, but super smooth, arena rock. It saddens me that in 2007, Funeral For A Friend recieved massive backlash for the beautiful Tales Don't Tell Themselves, but Biffy Clyro essentially smoothed their sound every bit as much but kept their fans.

Unlike Trivium, FFAF never really recovered.

But the influence of FFAF is felt everywhere on the UK rock scene, and they are still hugely loved, if only for the first two albums.

I can hear some similarity in the fact that they're both modern alternative rock with a lot of mid-tempo catchy pop rock numbers, but really I think the Foos are very different overall. Dave doesn't write very many off-kilter rhythms or melodies (Rope and Times Like These are about as close as he comes), whereas Biffy seem to thrive on those. Also Dave I think opts for much more anthemic, ott choruses, whereas I think Biffy are more subtle. If the Foo Fighters are like the middle of the road in 90's/00's alternative rock, I think Biffy are pretty centered in the left lane, and going around a curve while crossing over to the right. I guess that does mean they're in the middle at some point, but only for a moment.

• Like 1

I can hear some similarity in the fact that they're both modern alternative rock with a lot of mid-tempo catchy pop rock numbers, but really I think the Foos are very different overall. Dave doesn't write very many off-kilter rhythms or melodies (Rope and Times Like These are about as close as he comes), whereas Biffy seem to thrive on those. Also Dave I think opts for much more anthemic, ott choruses, whereas I think Biffy are more subtle. If the Foo Fighters are like the middle of the road in 90's/00's alternative rock, I think Biffy are pretty centered in the left lane, and going around a curve while crossing over to the right. I guess that does mean they're in the middle at some point, but only for a moment.

Definitely. But like the entire so called "grunge" movement, their is something similar between many current rock bands that draw them together in a way I can hear the comparisons.

But I saw Foos and Biffy live together, and live, the two come off very differently. It was a magical night, with Jimmy as well. Jimmy also warrant comparison to Biffy and Foos. All three together in one evening is one of my favourite memories of my life.

Three bands, all with comparable qualities (killer choruses, huge anthemic rock moments, plenty of heart, a certain style that's comparable), but so different in execution the entire audience I swear was having a religious experience.

• Like 1

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0342/0081/products/Screen-Shot-2018-01-02-at-3.26.37-PM_grande.png?v=1544832268

Good morning gentlemen!

Just checking in to say hello.

In the midst of a Tom Petty marathon.

Might do the Rush studio albums next.

What marathons would you do?

• Like 1

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0342/0081/products/Screen-Shot-2018-01-02-at-3.26.37-PM_grande.png?v=1544832268

Good morning gentlemen!

HI ther my man!!!!! i've been playing a whole bunch of stuff. my new main obsession is Todd Rundgren though. do him!!! it'll keep you busy a while.

Mick

• Like 1

Good morning gentlemen!

HI ther my man!!!!! i've been playing a whole bunch of stuff. my new main obsession is Todd Rundgren though. do him!!! it'll keep you busy a while.

Mick

Todd is so underrated.

I have “Hermit of Mink Hollow” and “Something/Anything”.

• Like 1

Good morning gentlemen!

Mick

Todd is so underrated.

I have “Hermit of Mink Hollow” and “Something/Anything”.

his work is so varied too. pop, rock, Experimental, Country Soul,, Blues, Rap (yes he tried rap he fails but he tried, lol) not everything works. but he's NEVER boring. i call him Zappa with more pop hooks, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

What do you both think of the Ramones?

People either “get them” or not at all.

The intelligence, sense of humour and honesty regarding mental health and social commentary is sometimes lost on people.

They’ve always been a favourite of mine but over the past few years have skyrocketed to the top.

Could have something to do with aging and my own mental health.

:)

• Like 1

What do you both think of the Ramones?

People either “get them” or not at all.

The intelligence, sense of humour and honesty regarding mental health and social commentary is sometimes lost on people.

They’ve always been a favourite of mine but over the past few years have skyrocketed to the top.

Could have something to do with aging and my own mental health.

:)

i've played them in passing. but i'll say. i enjoy everything i've heard.

i'll need to dive deep soon. i love Their first 3 or 4. i love how it's just sped up 60's pop songs. lol

Mick

• Like 1

i love Their first 3 or 4. i love how it's just sped up 60's pop songs. lol

Mick

That’s it exactly!

I always say that they are the perfect combination of everything I love about music.

Very keen observation Mick.

• Like 1

Segue,

Did you know that Bruce wrote “Hungry Heart” for them after Joey asked him if he’d write a song for them after a gig in New Jersey.

Bruce’s manager heard the sing and convinced him to keep the sing for himself and it became a big hit.

• Like 1

i love Their first 3 or 4. i love how it's just sped up 60's pop songs. lol

Mick

That’s it exactly!

I always say that they are the perfect combination of everything I love about music.

Very keen observation Mick.

and the good thing about them. they don't give you time to get bored. verse...... immediate hook........done, lol

i do love how confident they are that they can do that......pretty ball-sy in my book.

Mick

• Like 1

From Wiki...

When Springsteen met Joey Ramone in Asbury Park, New Jersey, Ramone asked him to write a song for The Ramones. Springsteen composed "Hungry Heart" that night, but decided to keep it for himself on the advice of his producer and manager, Jon Landau. Previously, upbeat and catchy Springsteen songs such as "Blinded by the Light", "Because the Night", and "Fire" had been given away and become hits for others, and Landau preferred the trend not continue.

• Like 1

Segue,

Did you know that Bruce wrote “Hungry Heart” for them after Joey asked him if he’d write a song for them after a gig in New Jersey.

Bruce’s manager heard the sing and convinced him to keep the sing for himself and it became a big hit.

i did know that. and i can hear it as a Ramones tune. just spead it up, and guitars, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Segue,

i did know that. and i can hear it as a Ramones tune. just spead it up, and guitars, lol

Mick

Segue,

Mick

Right?!
  • Like 1

I'm enjoying the British rock scene of the 2000s and delving into random albums of other artists.

Not felt drawn to a marathon of any one band/artist in a while.

• Like 2