Biffy Clyro

The Doors

Bruce Springsteen

Epica

And you?

EP I include you too!

Trivium.

But you already knew that lol.

I find it odd that I missed out on them for as long as I did. It's not like they're some under the radar band that I never heard of until recently. Their name has always had a solid presence in the metal world over the years, I just never gave them a listen for whatever reason. A lot of what they do well is what I like about metal in the first place.

It's easy, Trivium are a metal band that hit the mainstream. They get lumped in with bands like Disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold, Five Finger Death Punch etc...it's a shame because they deserve to be ranked amongst the greats. In the UK, they are a BIG DEAL, but I can't speak for anywhere else.

Glad you gave them a chance, you have no idea how often me and Mick discussed you when chatting about this band. Lol

Cool to see what you guys are into right now! Getting bright summery vibes from Segue and headphone session vibes from Mick. It's all great!

Honestly I've been jumping between things like I'm playing frogger. What with the massive load of new records I got from my dad's friend recently and another sizable chunk of new things I've snagged since being stuck at home, I'm almost struggling just to keep up with all this new music. But here are a few I've been playing a lot in the past few months:

King Crimson

Jimmy Eat World

Jethro Tull

Def Leppard

Museo Rosenbach

As of right now I just listened to Deftones Around The Fur and Sum 41 All Killer, No Filler for the first time each in the past 24 hours. Loved both!

What Jimmy have you heard?

Just Bleed American and Clarity.

Cool to see what you guys are into right now! Getting bright summery vibes from Segue and headphone session vibes from Mick. It's all great!

Honestly I've been jumping between things like I'm playing frogger. What with the massive load of new records I got from my dad's friend recently and another sizable chunk of new things I've snagged since being stuck at home, I'm almost struggling just to keep up with all this new music. But here are a few I've been playing a lot in the past few months:

King Crimson

Jimmy Eat World

Jethro Tull

Def Leppard

Museo Rosenbach

As of right now I just listened to Deftones Around The Fur and Sum 41 All Killer, No Filler for the first time each in the past 24 hours. Loved both!

Deftones are amazing. Also, try Thrice. Post hardcore band that never for one second limited themselves. If you want a taste, try the four disc EP set The Alchemy Index. You have raging hardcore, ambient electronica, soaring instrumentals, folk and rustic country, all encompassed within four six track EPs. They are described as being a heavy Radiohead, which is honestly a fair comparison. Deftones and Thrice are both fiercely unique, I love them both.

• Like 2

King Crimson

Jimmy Eat World

Jethro Tull

Def Leppard

Museo Rosenbach

Move forwards, honestly if you want to know what album to play next, just pick the next one. Which is Futures.

The album was doomed. It came out the same year as:

Green Day- American Idiot

The Used- In Love And Death

The Killers- Hot Fuss

My Chemical Romance- Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge

The alt rock world was swamped with masterpieces that year, and my above selections are the mere tip of the iceberg.

But if you want my honest opinion, give it time and you may recognise Futures as the best rock album of that year.

• Like 1

King Crimson

Jimmy Eat World

Jethro Tull

Def Leppard

Museo Rosenbach

Move forwards, honestly if you want to know what album to play next, just pick the next one. Which is Futures.

The Killers- Hot Fuss

The alt rock world was swamped with masterpieces that year, and my above selections are the mere tip of the iceberg.

But if you want my honest opinion, give it time and you may recognise Futures as the best rock album of that year.

Futures is one of my favorite albums by anyone.

Mick

• Like 2

King Crimson

Jimmy Eat World

Jethro Tull

Def Leppard

Museo Rosenbach

The Killers- Hot Fuss

Futures is one of my favorite albums by anyone.

Mick

The problem I have with saying I agree with you is this:

I feel this way about every single Jimmy album, which kind of dampens just how much I recognize Futures as one of the pinnacle releases of the 2000s.

But the 2000s is one of my personal favourite decades, I know I'm biased, I grew up in that time. But I hate a shit tonne of music that emerged in that era, but my favourites remain super favourites.

As for Futures, like most Jimmy Eat World albums, it's my favourite Jimmy Eat World albums fml

It's been ages!

So here's my update on bands I'm currently obsessed with:

Kings Of Leon

Biffy Clyro

The Doors

Bruce Springsteen

Epica

And you?

EP I include you too!

Trivium.

I find it odd that I missed out on them for as long as I did. It's not like they're some under the radar band that I never heard of until recently. Their name has always had a solid presence in the metal world over the years, I just never gave them a listen for whatever reason. A lot of what they do well is what I like about metal in the first place.

It's easy, Trivium are a metal band that hit the mainstream. They get lumped in with bands like Disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold, Five Finger Death Punch etc...it's a shame because they deserve to be ranked amongst the greats. In the UK, they are a BIG DEAL, but I can't speak for anywhere else.

Glad you gave them a chance, you have no idea how often me and Mick discussed you when chatting about this band. Lol

They don't get lumped in with those bands over here. Those bands get consistent radio play and steady gold and platinum albums in the US. Trivium doesn't even get half the mainstream coverage those bands do. Trivium can fill places that fit a couple of thousand which is decent. But those other three consistently headline arenas in North America.

• Like 1

King Crimson

Jimmy Eat World

Jethro Tull

Def Leppard

Museo Rosenbach

The Killers- Hot Fuss

Dang that is a stacked year. Better than American Idiot and Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge you say? I'll grab it, and lucky for me it's on sale!

• Like 1

King Crimson

Jimmy Eat World

Jethro Tull

Def Leppard

Museo Rosenbach

Deftones are amazing. Also, try Thrice. Post hardcore band that never for one second limited themselves. If you want a taste, try the four disc EP set The Alchemy Index. You have raging hardcore, ambient electronica, soaring instrumentals, folk and rustic country, all encompassed within four six track EPs. They are described as being a heavy Radiohead, which is honestly a fair comparison. Deftones and Thrice are both fiercely unique, I love them both.

I'll give that Thrice set a listen tonight.

It's been ages!

Kings Of Leon

Biffy Clyro

The Doors

Bruce Springsteen

Epica

And you?

EP I include you too!

Trivium.

They don't get lumped in with those bands over here. Those bands get consistent radio play and steady gold and platinum albums in the US. Trivium doesn't even get half the mainstream coverage those bands do. Trivium can fill places that fit a couple of thousand which is decent. But those other three consistently headline arenas in North America.

When Ascendancy came out, it was the most HYPED album that year, Trivium were the most beloved band at Download festival, they went silver status in record sales, they were numerous metal magazines album of the year, they turned an entire generation of British kids onto metal that wasn't nu-metal, they literally transformed the UK metal scene overnight. It was like an underground Nevermind moment...the fact the record label rushed them to finish The Crusade is so sad, because that album stalled their career in a way they never truly recovered from. I believe The Crusade has a lot of greatness, but it definitely as a whole wasn't the right album to follow something as legendary now as Acendancy. That said, it's one of my all time favourite metal albums, but I won't deny it's flaws.

I find it mental that in the US they aren't huge.

Happy to say though that Shogun recovered the bands reputation almost back to where they started, I find it a great shame it wasn't the immediate follow up.

I can't choose a favourite Trivium album.

This is how I rate them:

Ember To Inferno (8/10) phenomenal debut, it's got everything Ascendancy had, but in a more primitive form.

Ascendancy (10/10) I can't describe how much I love this album. It's my Master Of Puppets. Trivium are my Metallica. They became with this album MY metal band.

The Crusade (7/10) Ignition, Detonation, Entrance Of The Conflagration, Unrepentant, Becoming The Dragon, To The Rats, Tread The Floods, The Crusade...yeah I love this album. Those songs alone are right up there with my all time favourite songs by anyone ever. Especially Ignition and Detonation. I will defend this album without pretending it's perfect.

Shogun (10/10) Lightning does strike twice. I can't really put into words how important this album is to me. It blew my mind back then, it still does today. Better than Death Magnetic and The Blackening, two of my other favourite albums that hear (by Metallica and Machine Head respectively). Kirisute Gomen is likely my favourite Trivium song.

In Waves (9/10) it falls slightly below Ascendancy and Shogun for me, but the deluxe edition is a huge boost for me over the standard (unlike Shogun). For some reason, this album turned me off Trivium back then. I have no idea why.

Vengeance Falls (8/10) the radio friendly Trivium album, the one time they actively sounded like their peers...and...somehow...that's a great thing. They created a radio friendly heavy metal album that upped the melodies, and maintained everything I love about them dearly.

Silence In The Snow (7/10) I have it a seven, I love it like a nine. Not sure how to put into words how impactful this album was on me, it brought me back to Trivium (a good year after it came out). It wasn't long before I caught up with their entire discography and fell in love with them all over again. Still, it's far from my favourite, but I love it all the same.

The Sin And The Sentence (8/10) I know for many fans this is a major Trivium masterpiece, and in part I do agree. But there are a couple of songs I don't rate quite as highly as others, but even then, I don't skip anything. The Revanchist is one of those songs I could not imagine a single other band creating, and ranks up their right near the top of my favourites.

What The Dead Men Say (10/10) I expected nothing from this album. For whatever reason, I wasn't even hyped. But like always, I listen too it. I was floored, absolutely riveted from start to finish. Everything I loved about the last album, they did again with even more confidence, skill and none of the lesser moments.

Did I mention I love Trivium?

• Like 1

It's been ages!

Kings Of Leon

Biffy Clyro

The Doors

Bruce Springsteen

Epica

And you?

EP I include you too!

Trivium.

When Ascendancy came out, it was the most HYPED album that year, Trivium were the most beloved band at Download festival, they went silver status in record sales, they were numerous metal magazines album of the year, they turned an entire generation of British kids onto metal that wasn't nu-metal, they literally transformed the UK metal scene overnight. It was like an underground Nevermind moment...the fact the record label rushed them to finish The Crusade is so sad, because that album stalled their career in a way they never truly recovered from. I believe The Crusade has a lot of greatness, but it definitely as a whole wasn't the right album to follow something as legendary now as Acendancy. That said, it's one of my all time favourite metal albums, but I won't deny it's flaws.

Happy to say though that Shogun recovered the bands reputation almost back to where they started, I find it a great shame it wasn't the immediate follow up.

This is how I rate them:

Ember To Inferno (8/10) phenomenal debut, it's got everything Ascendancy had, but in a more primitive form.

Ascendancy (10/10) I can't describe how much I love this album. It's my Master Of Puppets. Trivium are my Metallica. They became with this album MY metal band.

The Crusade (7/10) Ignition, Detonation, Entrance Of The Conflagration, Unrepentant, Becoming The Dragon, To The Rats, Tread The Floods, The Crusade...yeah I love this album. Those songs alone are right up there with my all time favourite songs by anyone ever. Especially Ignition and Detonation. I will defend this album without pretending it's perfect.

Shogun (10/10) Lightning does strike twice. I can't really put into words how important this album is to me. It blew my mind back then, it still does today. Better than Death Magnetic and The Blackening, two of my other favourite albums that hear (by Metallica and Machine Head respectively). Kirisute Gomen is likely my favourite Trivium song.

In Waves (9/10) it falls slightly below Ascendancy and Shogun for me, but the deluxe edition is a huge boost for me over the standard (unlike Shogun). For some reason, this album turned me off Trivium back then. I have no idea why.

Vengeance Falls (8/10) the radio friendly Trivium album, the one time they actively sounded like their peers...and...somehow...that's a great thing. They created a radio friendly heavy metal album that upped the melodies, and maintained everything I love about them dearly.

Silence In The Snow (7/10) I have it a seven, I love it like a nine. Not sure how to put into words how impactful this album was on me, it brought me back to Trivium (a good year after it came out). It wasn't long before I caught up with their entire discography and fell in love with them all over again. Still, it's far from my favourite, but I love it all the same.

The Sin And The Sentence (8/10) I know for many fans this is a major Trivium masterpiece, and in part I do agree. But there are a couple of songs I don't rate quite as highly as others, but even then, I don't skip anything. The Revanchist is one of those songs I could not imagine a single other band creating, and ranks up their right near the top of my favourites.

What The Dead Men Say (10/10) I expected nothing from this album. For whatever reason, I wasn't even hyped. But like always, I listen too it. I was floored, absolutely riveted from start to finish. Everything I loved about the last album, they did again with even more confidence, skill and none of the lesser moments.

I recall the hype of The Crusade being pretty big at the time. But when it didn't break the band huge here, I think their record label along with other people in the music industry decided they weren't worth getting behind and that killed any mainstream success they could have had in the states. They've carved out a decent audience for themselves though as they do play the same venues bands like Testament, Nightwish and Black Label Society do over here. They're probably as successful as a metal band can get without any mainstream coverage.

It's been ages!

Kings Of Leon

Biffy Clyro

The Doors

Bruce Springsteen

Epica

And you?

EP I include you too!

Trivium.

This is how I rate them:

I recall the hype of The Crusade being pretty big at the time. But when it didn't break the band huge here, I think their record label along with other people in the music industry decided they weren't worth getting behind and that killed any mainstream success they could have had in the states. They've carved out a decent audience for themselves though as they do play the same venues bands like Testament, Nightwish and Black Label Society do over here. They're probably as successful as a metal band can get without any mainstream coverage.

True. I have noticed in recent years that Shogun has gained more and more of a cult like following, which is fantastic. The latest two albums have done wonders for them as well.

King Crimson

Jimmy Eat World

Jethro Tull

Def Leppard

Museo Rosenbach

The fire EP was basically what I expected, which I liked but didn't love immediately. The water and air EPs I found really interesting and I really enjoyed a lot of the material. The earth EP was not at all what I expected and much better than I thought it was going to be when it started. Digging My Own Grave was a clear standout for me, and Come All You Weary! Thanks for the rec, I think I'll revisit at least the Earth EP a few times this summer.

King Crimson

Jimmy Eat World

Jethro Tull

Def Leppard

Museo Rosenbach

The fire EP was basically what I expected, which I liked but didn't love immediately. The water and air EPs I found really interesting and I really enjoyed a lot of the material. The earth EP was not at all what I expected and much better than I thought it was going to be when it started. Digging My Own Grave was a clear standout for me, and Come All You Weary! Thanks for the rec, I think I'll revisit at least the Earth EP a few times this summer.

Yay! I love a four EP's. The Fire EP is my least favourite. It's good but they'd already done a lot of music like that.

The album that came out before this, Vheissu, is their absolute masterpiece. The EPs expand all avenues Vheissu explored, it's arguable they didn't top it.

• Like 1

I'm on A genesis kick. just running down the entire discography (well minus their debut and calling All Stations Cause no matter how hard i try i can't get into either)

I will say i did appreciate the Gabriel era more. i still find this era wildly uneven. it's not as classic to me as some fans. but hen that era gets it right it is pretty special.

still don't understand the worship towards the Lamb. had it been a single. i'd give it to you cause that first disc is amazibg. disc 2 just is one big filler disc. like i could feel them saying oh shit we didn't plan this out enough.

but still I often forget just how much i love Genesis. and i really REALLY do.

Mick

I'm on A genesis kick. just running down the entire discography (well minus their debut and calling All Stations Cause no matter how hard i try i can't get into either)

I will say i did appreciate the Gabriel era more. i still find this era wildly uneven. it's not as classic to me as some fans. but hen that era gets it right it is pretty special.

still don't understand the worship towards the Lamb. had it been a single. i'd give it to you cause that first disc is amazibg. disc 2 just is one big filler disc. like i could feel them saying oh shit we didn't plan this out enough.

but still I often forget just how much i love Genesis. and i really REALLY do.

Mick

I'm definitely starting to find my feet with Genesis, and feel pretty much the same as you about the early years. I don't enjoy it, but I also can find a lot of merit. It's frustrating to listen to music that you know has all the right elements to appeal, but for whatever reason, simply don't.

• Like 1

My albums of the year so far:

5. Nightwish- Human Nature (8/10)

4. Rina Sawayama- Sawayama- (8/10)

3. Testament- Titans Of Creation (9/10)

2. Trivium- What The Dead Men Say (9/10)

1. Paradise Lost- Obsidian (9/10)

Not gonna lie, I wasn't mad about Paradise Lost's last album, Medusa. I thought maybe, finally, after thirty years...Parade Lost might finally be slowing down.

Well, Obsidian just came out with possibly their greatest album ever, and it sounds like everything they have ever done, and HEAVY!

• Like 2

Mine

5. Pendragon-Love Over Fear

4. Green Day King Of All Motherfukkers

3. Rina Sawayama- Sawayama

2. Lady Gaga-Chromatica

1. Trivium-What The Dead Men Say.

Lady gaga's there......so what? it was the fun album i needed.

That's 5 GREAT albums. Really great.

Mick

• Like 2

Mine

2. Lady Gaga-Chromatica

Mick

Loving the Lady Gaga, but it's slipped for me already. Start to finish, excellent return to form, but it's not got any songs that leave a lasting impression.

Still, if I put it on, I let it play til the end.

I'm far more impressed by Rina.

Nightwish are there for the moment.

• Like 1

Mine

2. Lady Gaga-Chromatica

Mick

Loving the Lady Gaga, but it's slipped for me already. Start to finish, excellent return to form, but it's not got any songs that leave a lasting impression.

Still, if I put it on, I let it play til the end.

I'm far more impressed by Rina.

Nightwish are there for the moment.

i just couldn't put Nightwish on there. i debated. but in the big picture with other records. it doesn't belong for me.

Mick

Mine

2. Lady Gaga-Chromatica

Mick

I love that you've got Green Day in there, lol. That album has been so collectively trashed by much of the internet I'm glad to see someone else who enjoys it.

• Like 1

Mine

2. Lady Gaga-Chromatica

Mick

I love that you've got Green Day in there, lol. That album has been so collectively trashed by much of the internet I'm glad to see someone else who enjoys it.

It's not stood up well for me. Dreadful production. It's not a bad album. Glad it's got its fans.

• Like 1

Mine

2. Lady Gaga-Chromatica

Mick

It's not stood up well for me. Dreadful production. It's not a bad album. Glad it's got its fans.

booo.

it's held up wonderfully.

the production is exacrly what it needs to be for the fun quick punch of an album it is.

i adore it.

Mick

• Like 1

Mine

2. Lady Gaga-Chromatica

Mick

i love it. up there with GD's best for me.

Mick

• Like 1