The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

3. Afraid To Shoot Strangers

I like the gentle intro. This is a softer song for Maiden, and I like what they attempting here. It's atmospheric, Bruce sounds brooding and moody. It's also a tad dull, as it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and it carries no real weight. But I like it, and will hold my hands up and say I have overlooked this song. The riffs are great, and whilst it's not one of my favourite Maiden songs, it's also one I am curious to hear live. I just wish the production was punchier, and the band were a little less sleepy sounding. It's a tad too long, but at the same time I love how it progresses, even if it never quite soars as high as I wish it did.

7/10

Is there anything specific you want to know about the live version? I saw them play it in 2012. I thought it sounded a little better than on the album.

I just feel this album when it's good, suffers from the actual production. I listen to this and just imagine it soaring higher, like the title track does.

7. The Fugitive

When this song starts, it comes out all guns blazing, leading me to believe I am about to go on a major epic adventure. And yet it's surprisingly short, and never quite lives up to its powerful music. The chorus is weak, it actually makes me think of something a lesser band would do.

A disappointment. It starts strong, but ultimately does little that's going to linger in the brain.

Decent playing, but this is Maiden. That's not good enough. The solos are fine, but it's really the lyrics, vocals and melodic arrangements that let it down.

3/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

8. Chains Of Misery

By this point I am bored, and getting increasingly tired of listening to Bruce sound so flat, and musically this album is starting to sound really repetitive.

The chorus here is very hair metal, the gang vocals don't recall to mind their punkier origins, but rather hairspray and spandex. It's just boring. It's hard to believe this is the same band that gave us Rime Of The Ancient Mariner or the anthemic Wasted Years.

Really boring. And the only reason I know this is not the same song as what came before is because I'm doing a song by song summary.

2/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

6. Wasting Love

A ballad. And one I've noticed on forums seems to be an album highlight for a lot of fans, but it's not really all that special.

I don't think Maiden should worry themselves writing songs like this. It's really not that good. The chorus is flat, the verses are boring, but I do (as it seems I almost always do) like the more acoustic playing underneath.

Definitely not one of Bruce's best vocal performances either.

I'd say it's also about two minutes too long.

A truly boring moment.

3/10

I've always liked this one. I have nice memories of watching headbangers ball on MTV where the video got good rotation. Maybe Maiden shouldn't have wrote a song like this but I feel they way they did it is exactly how a band like them should do a song like that.

9. The Apparition

The title gets me thinking of Opeth. But...oh god what we get instead is monstrous...and not in a good way.

I am very glad this song is short. What is its purpose other than to extend the albums length by a small amount?

Horrible. I actually can't think of a single redeeming thing here. The instrumental section has some nice moments but sadly that's it, the incredible by most bands standards solos are merely "good" by Maiden standards.

Really shit.

2/10

• Like 1

6. Wasting Love

A ballad. And one I've noticed on forums seems to be an album highlight for a lot of fans, but it's not really all that special.

I don't think Maiden should worry themselves writing songs like this. It's really not that good. The chorus is flat, the verses are boring, but I do (as it seems I almost always do) like the more acoustic playing underneath.

A truly boring moment.

3/10

I've always liked this one. I have nice memories of watching headbangers ball on MTV where the video got good rotation. Maybe Maiden shouldn't have wrote a song like this but I feel they way they did it is exactly how a band like them should do a song like that.

Again, any live versions? I'm wondering if I need to look for more live videos from this era.

10. Judas, Be My Guide

I really like this song. Like, a lot. But it is a shame it turns up long after I normally turn this album off.

Is it a classic? No, but it's catchy, has really good vocals and is memorable. I'd say it deserves to be recognised as one of the bands best songs of their worst decade, and it definitely deserves to be on a better album.

7/10

Edited by Segue Myles

11. Weekend Warrior

Those vocals...they really aren't good. What is that horrid screech? Otherwise it's not a bad song, a little repetitive, but at under six minutes, it doesn't quite outstay it's welcome like much of what was to come on the next two albums..

The hard/soft dynamic is good. It's not a bad song, but it's not very good either. And it's very forgettable.

4/10

Edited by Segue Myles

6. Wasting Love

A truly boring moment.

3/10

Again, any live versions? I'm wondering if I need to look for more live videos from this era.

It's on Live at Donington which was from the Fear tour. You want to really hear Bruce not giving a shit anymore then it's the live for you. Run To The Hills is particularly hilarious as Bruce just talks his way through the song and the band speeds through it just to get the song over with.

12. Fear Of The Dark

They saved the best for last, but unfortunately even with the best song, it still doesn't sound...at its best.

The production of this album is super weak, I find the band sounding really bored, their is no punchiness. The best way to describe the sound of this album is to compare it to a balloon that's been deflating for a few days.

I first heard this song as a live version on a best of compilation, and I LOVE that recording. The studio version?

It's the best song on the album, it's definitely easy to love. But it's also not the best I've heard it.

8/10 (but only for the studio version)

6. Wasting Love

A truly boring moment.

3/10

It's on Live at Donington which was from the Fear tour. You want to really hear Bruce not giving a shit anymore then it's the live for you. Run To The Hills is particularly hilarious as Bruce just talks his way through the song and the band speeds through it just to get the song over with.

Oh boy...

I want to collect the live albums, but maybe I should check them out before I buy them.

This album has its moments. But I'm sorry I can't rate it highly, it's got some really awful moments.

It's a 3/10 overall, but the handful of good to great moments deserve to be highlighted, but even then, title track aside, nothing here is truly essential. And that epic title track isn't even at its best on this album.

6. Wasting Love

A truly boring moment.

3/10

Oh boy...

I want to collect the live albums, but maybe I should check them out before I buy them.

6. Wasting Love

A truly boring moment.

3/10

Oh boy...

Oh..................

Well...f**k

Edited by Segue Myles

Played Wasting Love on its own. I was a little harsh.
  • Like 1

Segue, did you hear that Within Temptation and Evanescence are touring Europe together next year?

Yeah! Sadly with the passing of my mother and other difficult things, I've not felt all that excited. WT were my mum and dad's favourite rock/metal band. Its a bit raw right now. But it's an interesting lineup, especially as the media here is more excited about WT than Evanescence (even moreso when you consider WT have only had moderate success in the UK, whilst Evanescence are one of the few rock bands guaranteed automatic hits whenever an album/single/tour surfaces).

I've been on DT a while but i feel a Green Day dive coming on really hard.

Mick

I've been playing so much symphonic metal and DT this week, you playing Green Day encouraged me to do the same.

I love 21BD. Such a beautiful, nuanced album.

• Like 1

I've been on DT a while but i feel a Green Day dive coming on really hard.

Mick

I've been playing so much symphonic metal and DT this week, you playing Green Day encouraged me to do the same.

I love 21BD. Such a beautiful, nuanced album.

i prefer it to AI honestly.

i think song for song it's better. AI has moments that drag. not that it's any less a great album.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Segue, did you hear that Within Temptation and Evanescence are touring Europe together next year?

Yeah! Sadly with the passing of my mother and other difficult things, I've not felt all that excited. WT were my mum and dad's favourite rock/metal band. Its a bit raw right now. But it's an interesting lineup, especially as the media here is more excited about WT than Evanescence (even moreso when you consider WT have only had moderate success in the UK, whilst Evanescence are one of the few rock bands guaranteed automatic hits whenever an album/single/tour surfaces).

I always forget Evanescence is still a band because they take so long between albums. Fallen is what got me into female fronted metal bands so I really shouldn't forget them so easily.

I always forget Evanescence is still a band because they take so long between albums. Fallen is what got me into female fronted metal bands so I really shouldn't forget them so easily.

I am grateful to Evanescence for getting me started on female fronted metal, but literally the day I discovered Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation and Nightwish (all at the same time!), I literally forgot Evanescence were even a thing.

Even now, when people ask me what my favourite female fronted bands are, I don't even think of Evanescence. And when I do, I still don't.

But I like them. Enough that I own all the albums, plus a really quality bootleg of their demo album Origin (which I vastly prefer to Fallen).

• Like 2

I am grateful to Evanescence for getting me started on female fronted metal, but literally the day I discovered Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation and Nightwish (all at the same time!), I literally forgot Evanescence were even a thing.

Even now, when people ask me what my favourite female fronted bands are, I don't even think of Evanescence. And when I do, I still don't.

But I like them. Enough that I own all the albums, plus a really quality bootleg of their demo album Origin (which I vastly prefer to Fallen).

Same here. First it was Evanescence then Lacuna Coil, Nightwish and Within Temptation. By the time Evanescence came out with their second album I was like yeah it's alright but these bands from Europe are where it's at.

Same here. First it was Evanescence then Lacuna Coil, Nightwish and Within Temptation. By the time Evanescence came out with their second album I was like yeah it's alright but these bands from Europe are where it's at.

Europe honestly did this first and did this so much better.

If you look at the oldest album reviews for Lacuna Coil on Amazon (me being me, I have), there are some comical moments where things are said along the lines of "I thought Bring Me To Life was the new LC song, and I was disappointed". LC were already slowly making waves on the metal scene before Evanescence came along, and of course Evanescence helped these bands break into the US market.

But over in Europe, Nightwish were having smash hits in nearly every country, Within Temptation were making waves with Mother Earth and the singles, and bands like After Forever, Flowing Tears, The Gathering and Leaves Eyes were really helping keep the scene alive.

But oh my god, so many US and UK fans praise Amy Lee and pals like they kick-started an entire genre of music.

Puh-lease. I'm glad they paved the way for the bands I love in the UK and US markets, but bands like Lacuna Coil and Nightwish were getting there already quite nicely on their own.

• Like 2