The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

I've been enjoying Karmacode just fine while browsing the inter webs for the past little while. Now on track 12, which to my delight is in Italian!

Without Fear is a special song to me. One beautiful line in English. The Depeche Mode cover is my all time favourite cover.

They have another Italian song: Senzafine. One of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard

Senzafine, without end? As one word? That's a rather beautiful title for a song.

The English translation of the lyrics is some of my favourite lyrics from the band.

What album is that on? I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm shopping for music.

Unleashed Memories. It's a little harder to find. Search it on the YouTubes!

There is also an older version of Senzafine on the 2000 ep Half Life. It has a trance intro.

Oh and that's another thing...fans saying Lacuna Coil sold out with nu metal...before the band had even started making waves, they were covering British pop bands and incorporating club music in their gothic metal!

I will never accuse a band of selling out. I hate that term. It's their job and like any of us they are going to try whatever they think is the right thing for them to make more money at it. I can't fault any band for doing that whether I like the results of their musical output or not.

• Like 2

I've been enjoying Karmacode just fine while browsing the inter webs for the past little while. Now on track 12, which to my delight is in Italian!

Without Fear is a special song to me. One beautiful line in English. The Depeche Mode cover is my all time favourite cover.

They have another Italian song: Senzafine. One of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard

Senzafine, without end? As one word? That's a rather beautiful title for a song.

The English translation of the lyrics is some of my favourite lyrics from the band.

What album is that on? I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm shopping for music.

Unleashed Memories. It's a little harder to find. Search it on the YouTubes!

There is also an older version of Senzafine on the 2000 ep Half Life. It has a trance intro.

Oh and that's another thing...fans saying Lacuna Coil sold out with nu metal...before the band had even started making waves, they were covering British pop bands and incorporating club music in their gothic metal!

I will never accuse a band of selling out. I hate that term. It's their job and like any of us they are going to try whatever they think is the right thing for them to make more money at it. I can't fault any band for doing that whether I like the results of their musical output or not.

This thread is full of good attitudes today! :)

• Like 3

Also something you critics of Karmacode and the nu metal influence fail to recognise is, the band incorporated those styles because they are massive fans of bands like Linkin Park, Disturbed, Korn...the blend of American hard rock with European gothic metal is a blend that to me left us with a unique album that sounds like nothing else out there.

i get it.......doesn't mean it works for them. which my ears tell me it doesn't.

Mick

And yet the style of Karmacode is all over Broken Crown Halo...

true but it's more obnoxius. it's andrea. i'll just say it....he's my least fav thing about LC. he blends better on BCH. he is all up in my face on KC

what can i say, lol

Mick

I LOVE HIS VOCALS ON BCH!

I thought he was...a bit restrained on SL and DA (I do blame Don Gilmore for this). BCH and Delirium he is just AMAZING. I have said before, the last two albums he stole the attention from CRI for me many times!

• Like 2

Also something you critics of Karmacode and the nu metal influence fail to recognise is, the band incorporated those styles because they are massive fans of bands like Linkin Park, Disturbed, Korn...the blend of American hard rock with European gothic metal is a blend that to me left us with a unique album that sounds like nothing else out there.

i get it.......doesn't mean it works for them. which my ears tell me it doesn't.

Mick

true but it's more obnoxius. it's andrea. i'll just say it....he's my least fav thing about LC. he blends better on BCH. he is all up in my face on KC

what can i say, lol

Mick

I thought he was...a bit restrained on SL and DA (I do blame Don Gilmore for this). BCH and Delirium he is just AMAZING. I have said before, the last two albums he stole the attention from CRI for me many times!

Agree on both counts. but i doubt LC would even be a thing for me if Andrea was just there. i've grown to tolerate him.

but it's a step up.

Mick

Mick

what can i say, lol

Mick

Agree on both counts. but i doubt LC would even be a thing for me if Andrea was just there. i've grown to tolerate him.

but it's a step up.

Mick

True. There is a band from Portugal who sound a little like LC in the early days, minus female vocals. If you want to know what a Cristina free LC would sound like...try Moonspell.

But LC have a special blend and for me it's great enough to be my fave thing.

Mick

what can i say, lol

Mick

Hmm, I have never felt that way about him on Karmacode. I dunno, man...

For the record, my three favorite from LC are BCH, Karmacode, and Dark Adrenaline.

I don’t typically delve into in-depth discussions about the band, I just know what I like.

Still have not heard Unleashed Memories or Shallow Life.

Mick

what can i say, lol

Mick

Hmm, I have never felt that way about him on Karmacode. I dunno, man...

For the record, my three favorite from LC are BCH, Karmacode, and Dark Adrenaline.

I don’t typically delve into in-depth discussions about the band, I just know what I like.

Still have not heard Unleashed Memories or Shallow Life.

Skip Shallow Life til last. Unleashed Memories is a must. Top three for me!

• Like 1

So here is how I rate the entire Lacuna Coil studio discography. Not that anyone asked. I am not ranking, as for me there are too many albums close to my heart.

1998: Lacuna Coil EP (9/10)

I love this EP. The band intended to record a heavier record than what we got, but it's a melancholic, melodic and emotionally powerful enough to justify the high rating. No Need To Explain, This Is My Dream, Soul Into Hades, Falling...I almost listed every track...are amongst my very favourite LC songs. I actually prefer the EP to the debut album which is...

1999: In A Reverie (7/10)

A fantastic debut album, it feels a little thrown together at times and a couple of songs don't feel quite finished (Reverie and Cold). But their is a crystalline beauty to this album, which is their most stripped down production wise. Also, the vocals are splendid, with Veins Of Glass, My Wings, Stately Lover and Cold offering some of the bands finest choruses. It's a moody album, and also a very romantic, lush affair. Closing song Falling Again is a splendid update of the previous EPs Falling. But I still feel, for all the praise I gave this, that the album still sounds rough around the edges, something the band has said themselves (they had rushed recording schedule). It's not a flawless album, and my score of 7 is me being objective (I personally give it an 8 but in the real world of music, I'd say it is honestly a little lower than that). It combines the beauty of two of my favourite albums of the nineties, The Gathering's Mandylion and Paradise Lost's Draconian Times, to astonishing effect without really sounding like either. It's not as great as either of those albums, but it's a debut, and comes surprisingly close.

2000: Halflife EP (9/10)

Bloody hell! This mixes in trance, British pop, huge Europop melodies and Italian lyrics. In short, this EP is divine, and is the turning point in the bands style. Everything from Delirium to Shallow Life has roots in this EP. It's a heavier, more upbeat offering than the two albums that frame it. The title track and Hyperfast are gothic metal masterpieces, and it's here that they offered their first cover song: an exquisite reimagining of the 90s British pop group Dubstar's "Stars". I love this EP. Their best and most creative work to date, and a near total left turn from what they did on the previous EPs.

2001: Unleashed Memories (10/10)

The bands first masterpiece (and a major fan favourite, ranked first by many), it has a sound that I have never heard anywhere else. It's sumptuous, abstract lyrically, and is dripping is sadness and despair, with the trademark sensuality and warmth still shining through. Favourite songs? The entire thing! But To Live Is To Hide, Cold Heritage, Distant Sun and 1:19 are my favourites. Bonus track Lost Lullaby is pretty much the official album closer now. It's a beauty. In short, my favourite early LC album and in all honesty, equal with my very favourite.

More to come!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

2002: Comalies (10/10)

The bands classic breakthrough, this album is another masterpiece and a genre milestone. Most casual fans of LC start here, and it's pretty much the best place to start. It's just magic. I love everything about this album, it's just stunning. Album Highlight? Tracks one to thirteen. But if I had to choose one it would be...track one to thirteen...the slower numbers here get less attention: Humane, Ghost Woman And The Hunter, Entwined and the title track are some of the bands most intoxicating material. Timeless.

2006: Karmacode (10/10)

Love it or hate it, fans bemoan the nu metal influences but ignore the fact this still sounds like no one else. My all time favourite album, but I'd agree it's not there best. I'd rank the previous two higher in some ways, but at the same time, this album to my ears sounds phenomenal and I definitely don't have a favourite song here. But if push came to shove, In Visible Light, Without Fear, Fragile and Our Truth come to mind. The cover of Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence is classic. The bonus tracks, Without A Reason and Virtual Environment are great, but sound like a totally different album. Worth checking out.

2009: Shallow Life (6/10)

My score is how I would rate the album against the rest of their material. I personally love this album, BUT only of you include the bonus tracks. Why Lacuna Coil saw fit to include Underdog, The Pain, The Maze and Unchained over Leaving Alone, Last Goodbye and Oblivion I will never know. The deluxe edition is the only edition to buy, and as time goes on, I find it harder and harder to defend this album. But I do love the first five songs, and the second half of the album has some highlights as well. It also has for me the bands most overrated song: Wide Awake. Every single other ballad is superior that. It also has for me some of their most underrated material: Not Enough, Shallow Life, I'm Not Afraid and the bonus tracks are some of the most joyously melodic music they have ever released. This is the only LC album that doesn't have my full support, however. I am bloody grateful they turned their back on this era. (EP: This is their Hot Space)

2012: Dark Adrenaline (9/10)

Shallow Life, but with balls and metal to replace the Disney rock style of the previous album. All killer, no filler, but the album lacks the sensual warmth and the atmosphere of their earlier releases. But it's a stunner. It has many of my all time favourite songs, Kill The Light, Trip The Darkness, The Army Inside, My Spirit...again I could mention the entire album. Still, it is for me both a superb follow up to a weak album, and also still one of my less favourite LC albums. But in the grand scheme of things, this album still ranks very high on my all time list (Shallow Life honestly doesn't). Bonus tracks are good.

2014: Broken Crown Halo (10/10)

It felt like Dark Adrenaline had barely been out when the band announced the follow up. I will be honest, as much as O enjoyed Dark Adrenaline, I felt at the time like Lacuna Coil were gradually fading away for me. I forgave LC the change in style I didn't see coming, I respected them as artists and saw them on tour. But...I wasn't 100% in love with where they were going. So, I was looking forward to Broken Crown Halo, but I wasn't as excited as I normally would be. And then...the album came out and I was blown away! It brought back EVERYTHING I love about old school Lacuna Coil, and still kept the direction of Shallow Life in some ways, but finally the more direct approach to songwriting had depth and purpose, which made the last two albums with hindsight so much better. This to me is the album that should and could have followed up Karmacode, possibly even Comalies (I say should, because the material here is far more accomplished and atmospheric than Karmacode...I hurt to admit that!). One Cold Day, Victims, Zombies and Hostage To The Light are my favourite songs. Broken Crown Halo is so special to me, I sometimes forget the two albums before even exist. This album didn't do very well, but it definitely got them on the right track. In fact it's arguable this is their best album to date. No bonus tracks from this era, although I've heard that Claustrophobia of the next album is made up from bits and pieces of demos from this.

2016: Delirium (10/10)

I WILL SAY IT! This is Lacuna Coil's most exciting and exhilarating album. Every single second is phenomenal, their is an urgency, a fire and a passion too it that blows me away. I didn't like it at first, but the change to an almost industrial coldness and more aggressive temperament is almost the total opposite of everything I fell in love with them for. But now, it's for me a modern metal classic. Every song is a winner, and the album revolves around the concept of an abandoned asylum, and the lyrics and themes are hard hitting and tactfully explored. Best song? House Of Shame. My favourite song? My Demons and Ultima Ratio. The bonus tracks are terrific as well, with a sublime cover of Madonna's Live To Tell. But the album works best exactly as they meant it to be (unlike Shallow Life). The bonus tracks simply spoil us. Broken Crown Halo and Delirium are also Andrea Ferro's best albums vocally. I can't not mention this.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

your Scores are close to mine!!!

we really aren't that oppsosite. we just disagree on Karmacode and you are a tad Kinder on Shallow life

In a Reverie-6/10

Halflife-10/10)

Unleashed Memories-8/10

Comalies-9/10

Karmacode-7/10

Shallow Life-4/10

Dark Adrenaline-8/10

Broken Crown Halo-10/10

Delirium-9/10

Mick

• Like 2

we really aren't that oppsosite. we just disagree on Karmacode and you are a tad Kinder on Shallow life

In a Reverie-6/10

Halflife-10/10)

Unleashed Memories-8/10

Comalies-9/10

Karmacode-7/10

Shallow Life-4/10

Dark Adrenaline-8/10

Broken Crown Halo-10/10

Delirium-9/10

Mick

One of the reasons I am kinder to Shallow Life is that, for whatever reason, every time Lacuna Coil come out with a new album, the albums seems to reflect the mood I am in at the time. 2009, I was into the pop of the time: Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Agnes, Katy Perry...and the album was lightweight and fit in well.

Karmacode, meh...I say your 7/10 is a good score.

If I'm really honest, Shallow Life on its own is a 5/10. The extra point is for the bonus tracks, which I class as album tracks because it's shocking they are not.

Have you heard the debut EP yet? It's better than the debut album for me, it has a really bizarre British goth metal vibe lol (think One Second era Paradise Lost).

• Like 1

In a Reverie-6/10

Halflife-10/10)

Unleashed Memories-8/10

Comalies-9/10

Karmacode-7/10

Shallow Life-4/10

Dark Adrenaline-8/10

Broken Crown Halo-10/10

Delirium-9/10

Mick

One of the reasons I am kinder to Shallow Life is that, for whatever reason, every time Lacuna Coil come out with a new album, the albums seems to reflect the mood I am in at the time. 2009, I was into the pop of the time: Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Agnes, Katy Perry...and the album was lightweight and fit in well.

If I'm really honest, Shallow Life on its own is a 5/10. The extra point is for the bonus tracks, which I class as album tracks because it's shocking they are not.

Have you heard the debut EP yet? It's better than the debut album for me, it has a really bizarre British goth metal vibe lol (think One Second era Paradise Lost).

No i haven't but that's why i got confused on the album order, lol

i should just play it right now

Mick

• Like 1

In a Reverie-6/10

Halflife-10/10)

Unleashed Memories-8/10

Comalies-9/10

Karmacode-7/10

Shallow Life-4/10

Dark Adrenaline-8/10

Broken Crown Halo-10/10

Delirium-9/10

Mick

No i haven't but that's why i got confused on the album order, lol

i should just play it right now

Mick

The instrumental, Un Fantasma Tra Noi (A Ghost Between Us) is one of the best pieces of music the band ever wrote.

• Like 1

Ok so if they somehow combined the first EP with Halflife you quite possibly have my fav LC album.

FANTASTIC Stuff. and sounds much better planned and paced then in a Reverie is.

Gobsmacked!!!!!

Mick

• Like 1

Ok so if they somehow combined the first EP with Halflife you quite possibly have my fav LC album.

FANTASTIC Stuff. and sounds much better planned and paced then in a Reverie is.

Gobsmacked!!!!!

Mick

Buy the compilation The EP's. Coz...that is real lol. Your welcome!

• Like 1

The copy of Unleashed Memories I have has the Halflife EP on it as well. It's kind of like bonus tracks before they were a regular thing. I think that was for the north American release only. Not sure Halflife was ever released on its own here. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

The copy of Unleashed Memories I have has the Halflife EP on it as well. It's kind of like bonus tracks before they were a regular thing. I think that was for the north American release only. Not sure Halflife was ever released on its own here.

sad your edition omits Lost Lullaby. The band have pretty much made that the official last track now

So I've played the song a lot, and am surprised to find it sits better amongst the songs from Broken Crown Halo than it does Delirium! It's heavier, but the cinematic feel and the melancholy is back.

Layers Of Time sounds like Lacuna Coil have another winner. What is it about bands of this genre standing so tall and proud still, after more than 20 years?

I have Mixed views on the LC single.

on the one hand. i like the song. it's got a great vibe mood....great vocal performances. great. playing.

but.......here comes me being me. i came away just going.......so this is just the House of Shame.

and i've played it 5 times now. and it's The house of Shame........maybe louder but it's that song, lol.

and i'm sure i'll get disagreed with......but alas, lol. But it's catchy as shit if it makes you feel better.

but still.......8/10

really great track.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

The new Alter Bridge tune is really good. Already like it better than anything from the last album. The new Lacuna Coil song certainly has a House Of Shame vibe but that song was heavier and more aggressive. Also, this new song has a little more Cristina in it than House did. In particular that middle part which I really like. Overall I think Layers Of Time might be the better written song. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

The new Alter Bridge tune is really good. Already like it better than anything from the last album. The new Lacuna Coil song certainly has a House Of Shame vibe but that song was heavier and more aggressive. Also, this new song has a little more Cristina in it than House did. In particular that middle part which I really like. Overall I think Layers Of Time might be the better written song.

also i just listened to it again. it's way better produced.

House Of Shame was a bit clustered and noisy. this song seems like it breathes more sonically.

and just like that Layers is getting better for me.

but i just wrote my first impression before.

Mick

I don't think it sounds like House Of Shame much...I'm quite surprised by that.

The new Alter Bridge tune is really good. Already like it better than anything from the last album. The new Lacuna Coil song certainly has a House Of Shame vibe but that song was heavier and more aggressive. Also, this new song has a little more Cristina in it than House did. In particular that middle part which I really like. Overall I think Layers Of Time might be the better written song.

also i just listened to it again. it's way better produced.

House Of Shame was a bit clustered and noisy. this song seems like it breathes more sonically.

and just like that Layers is getting better for me.

but i just wrote my first impression before.

Mick

That's how I feel about the new AB song. It's getting better and better.

I started off like "it's a bit new, a bit old", and was satisfied. Now I'm obsessed!

• Like 1