The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

The great off British Steel:

Rapid Fire

Metal Gods

Grinder (mainly for the riff)

The Rage

Steeler

Everything else is good and completes the album well. Still, this album is middle of the pack for me. I like the run from Sad Wings through Killing Machine, Screaming, Defenders, Painkiller, Angel, Redeemer and Firepower better than British Steel.

• Like 2

I love

Metal Gods

Rapid fire

Grinder

The Rage (awesome)

Steeler

I really don't have a problem with anything exept United.

this album still gets a 9 from me.

and kicks the shit out of Point of Entry, Turbo, and Ram it down.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Painkiller is for me the most metal album I have ever heard.

It's just the greatest blast of metal o have ever heard! It's so OTT it's almost like a parody but it's just...every play takes my breath away.

• Like 4

So after a lot of extensive listening to both bands, it's very close the a tie but I still favour Iron Maiden by a hair. I can be swayed to believe Priest have more variety, have been around longer and perhaps have at times even been better.

But I get more excitement from 80s Maiden than I do almost any other band ever (actually, perhaps ever). The run from Iron Maiden through to No Prayer For The Dying is just orgasmic to me.

As for Priest, it's seriously close. Painkiller alone is enough to convince me they are the greatest metal band of all time. Perhaps this will change the more I get to listen to everything else by both bands. But talking both bands up to 1990, Maiden barely surpass Priest for me.

• Like 1

i've been listening to Maiden more.....BUT i still prefer Priest. To me i don't think Maiden did comes close to the brutal Painkiller or the great pop-ish/metal of Screaming For Vengeance (can't say enough about this Record!!!) Add Killing Machine and Stained class.....and they have it.

i love Maiden. but i've noticed even in the classic era the songs ramble a bit more (a problem that only got worse in the reunion era) Preist always wrote kick ass and straight to the point anthems.

so again........Love both but Priest gets the edge to me.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

The more I play Painkiller the more I can see myself ranking Priest higher.

Wish I'd got into them sooner!

This album would have dominated my teens

• Like 2

British Steel is also massively superior upon relistens. I think Screaming For Vengeance and Steel may be better than Defenders.

But currently nothing pleases me more than Painkiller!

• Like 2

Top ten bands as of now:

1. Lacuna Coil

=. Nightwish

3. Iron Maiden

=. Judas Priest

5. After Forever

6. Dream Theater

7. Within Temptation

8. Jimmy Eat World

9. Fleet Foxes

10. Epica

Not that varied, not that I care.

Edited by Segue Myles

Top ten bands as of now:

1. Lacuna Coil

=. Nightwish

3. Iron Maiden

=. Judas Priest

5. After Forever

6. Dream Theater

7. Within Temptation

8. Jimmy Eat World

9. Fleet Foxes

10. Epica

i have no list.

if i did it'd look like this.

1. Priest

2. Maiden

3. Priest

4. Maiden

5. Priest

6. Maiden

7. Priest

8. Maiden

9. Priest

10. Maiden.

Exciting, lol

Mick

Top ten bands as of now:

1. Lacuna Coil

=. Nightwish

3. Iron Maiden

=. Judas Priest

5. After Forever

6. Dream Theater

7. Within Temptation

8. Jimmy Eat World

9. Fleet Foxes

10. Epica

i have no list.

1. Priest

2. Maiden

3. Priest

4. Maiden

5. Priest

6. Maiden

7. Priest

8. Maiden

9. Priest

10. Maiden.

Exciting, lol

Mick

This is literally just a "right now faves" liet

• Like 1

Top ten bands as of now:

1. Lacuna Coil

=. Nightwish

3. Iron Maiden

=. Judas Priest

5. After Forever

6. Dream Theater

7. Within Temptation

8. Jimmy Eat World

9. Fleet Foxes

10. Epica

i have no list.

1. Priest

2. Maiden

3. Priest

4. Maiden

5. Priest

6. Maiden

7. Priest

8. Maiden

9. Priest

10. Maiden.

Exciting, lol

Mick

This is literally just a "right now faves" liet

oh ok so then mines correct, lol

Mick

I see it’s been nothing but Priest and Maiden and more Priest and more Maiden in this thread for the past few months...

So happy to see this thread still being used, though. I didn’t know if I might have to dig and dig for a long time to find it.

• Like 3

I see it’s been nothing but Priest and Maiden and more Priest and more Maiden in this thread for the past few months...

So happy to see this thread still being used, though. I didn’t know if I might have to dig and dig for a long time to find it.

my god........it's Blue J!!!!!

sup man?

It's been Maiden but i'm burnt........so now it's Doobie Brothers.

Mick

• Like 1

sup man?

Mick

I’ve been having...a time, I guess. Really good to see some old friends and familiar folks here. I made it back to TRF about a week and a half ago, but just been preoccupied.

My listening has been absent of metal lately, I’ve gone a different direction- lots of acoustic country/folk, and some other things, but no metal at all. Variety is the spice of life though, no?

• Like 1

sup man?

Mick

I’ve been having...a time, I guess. Really good to see some old friends and familiar folks here. I made it back to TRF about a week and a half ago, but just been preoccupied.

My listening has been absent of metal lately, I’ve gone a different direction- lots of acoustic country/folk, and some other things, but no metal at all. Variety is the spice of life though, no?

Nothing wrong with that. I don't quite get how I'm not burnt out on metal but I've been playing Miles Davis a lot lately, just never post about it here.

How have you been?

• Like 1

sup man?

Mick

Nothing wrong with that. I don't quite get how I'm not burnt out on metal but I've been playing Miles Davis a lot lately, just never post about it here.

How have you been?

Not so good. But could be worse, I suppose. Can’t always be rainbows and lollipops, right? Life is just messy.

Very busy and traveling...oh, and I’ve collected a few guitars. When I get to play and sing for awhile, that makes me happy.

Anyway, back on topic- music commentary!

I shall flip a coin between Priest and Maifen today, and whoever it is, I will pick a golden old nugget of theirs to spin.

sup man?

Mick

How have you been?

Not so good. But could be worse, I suppose. Can’t always be rainbows and lollipops, right? Life is just messy.

Very busy and traveling...oh, and I’ve collected a few guitars. When I get to play and sing for awhile, that makes me happy.

Anyway, back on topic- music commentary!

I shall flip a coin between Priest and Maifen today, and whoever it is, I will pick a golden old nugget of theirs to spin.

I say go for Somewhere In Time or Painkiller!

Recommend me an album. I'm feeling adventurous with my day off!

And meh...I get you about life and stuff. I'm finally settling down but gosh...it's been so ugly!

• Like 1

The winner ended up being Piece of Mind- which I absolutely love about half of (Where Eagles Dare, Revelations, Flight of Icarus, The Trooper), and some of the rest of it is just okay (Still Life, To Tame a Land) or just not very good (Die With Your Boots on). Overall I’d say it’s a 7 out of 10.

I read your ecstatic posts about Painkiller here, and I have to agree- it is just wall-to-wall metal frenzy, I love it. Overall my favorite Priest album is Stained Class, though.

• Like 2

Oh and for a recommendation- feeling adventurous, you said...if you haven’t heard it, try Guided By Voices- August By Cake. It’s a double album, released in April 2017, Robert Pollard’s 100th album (and there have been four more in the two years since, with one of those also being a double).

32 songs spread over about 75 minutes...there are maybe a few of them that are not absolutely indispensable- but the vast majority of the album is.

• Like 1

The winner ended up being Piece of Mind- which I absolutely love about half of (Where Eagles Dare, Revelations, Flight of Icarus, The Trooper), and some of the rest of it is just okay (Still Life, To Tame a Land) or just not very good (Die With Your Boots on). Overall I’d say it’s a 7 out of 10.

I read your ecstatic posts about Painkiller here, and I have to agree- it is just wall-to-wall metal frenzy, I love it. Overall my favorite Priest album is Stained Class, though.

My favourite Priest album is a toss up between Stained Class and Sin After Sin.

• Like 1

Piece of mind is my 2nd fav Maiden album love it.

Revelations is KILLER!!!!

Mick

• Like 1

Agree about Priest! But Die With Your Boots on is definitely one of my favorite songs on Piece of Mind.

• Like 3

Agree about Priest! But Die With Your Boots on is definitely one of my favorite songs on Piece of Mind.

that's songs a rush.....huh puns.

Mick

• Like 2

On a totally unrelated note, I think Kerry Livgren could and should write for Broadway.
  • Like 1