The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

so all i've been living on and alternating between is Maiden and priest exclusively and i think i need help.

I'm really digging the Dickinson reunion stuff as well. long as it all is. it's all very awesome.

It's metal that fills me with happiness and joy!

Whenever jess (my lovely patient girl friend, lol) spends the night. i have to use headphone.

she says if she has to hear either of these 2 bands again. i will be thrown through the window, lol

i'm obsessed

Mick

I can't put my finger on why but they are so addictive and Maiden especially make me really happy.

it's the riff-age.......hooks.....Dickinson.

layered harmonies.

If i had to pick the perfect metal band. it may be Maiden.

but then i play Priest and their the perfect metal band, lol.

Mick

• Like 1

so all i've been living on and alternating between is Maiden and priest exclusively and i think i need help.

I'm really digging the Dickinson reunion stuff as well. long as it all is. it's all very awesome.

Whenever jess (my lovely patient girl friend, lol) spends the night. i have to use headphone.

she says if she has to hear either of these 2 bands again. i will be thrown through the window, lol

i'm obsessed

Mick

I can't put my finger on why but they are so addictive and Maiden especially make me really happy.

layered harmonies.

Mick

Don't forget the unique playing style and bass tone of Steve Harris. That adds so much to the Maiden sound. He plays his bass like a rhythm guitar.

• Like 1

i'm obsessed

Mick

layered harmonies.

Mick

Don't forget the unique playing style and bass tone of Steve Harris. That adds so much to the Maiden sound. He plays his bass like a rhythm guitar.

OH YEAA!!!!! the bass parts are just so driving too. it just keeps everying barreling forward.

It feels like your on an out of control train.......but everything is TOTALLY controlled.

Mick

• Like 1

I personally love Maiden the most. But if I had to pick the best of the two, Priest would win because I feel they have more going on in their music. But...it's a win win.

Amazed to finally get into Priest. Just clicked with them this year and it feels marvellous!

• Like 1

I personally love Maiden the most. But if I had to pick the best of the two, Priest would win because I feel they have more going on in their music. But...it's a win win.

Amazed to finally get into Priest. Just clicked with them this year and it feels marvellous!

i stilll prefer Priest.

but Maiden is just amazing as well.

Mick

i stilll prefer Priest.

but Maiden is just amazing as well.

Mick

I honestly love both about equal really. I think it's like my relationship with Juliana Theory/Jimmy Eat World. I just love both about the same

• Like 1

Iron Maiden and Judas Priest have entered the same leagues as Nightwish, Paradise Lost and Rush for me. Not quite knocking off Lacuna Coil for me but they are just everything I love about music as entertainment, not just as an artform (oh boy...they are all that and more too!).

Listening to the title track of Seventh Son, gothic metal, power metal, prog metal...none of these genres would be the same without albums like this. And I can't quite get my head around the fact that this album is 32 years old!

Priest as well: as much as I love newer metal, bands from ten years ago often sound dated whilst the original wave of metal bands still sound so thrillingly exciting and fresh!

Maiden, Priest and Savatage are highlights of my year. Within Temptation and Dream Theater are the only two bands with new albums that have excited me alongside all these old albums, and I really don't mind having another year spent obsessed and enthralled by old music. It's been a while since I've been this enamoured and excited by music. I have enjoyed playing all my favourite bands and albums in recent months, but Maiden, Priest and Savatage all feel like new discoveries for me (in a sense, Priest is and Savatage definitely is). I also am pleased to say that Within Temptation continue to get better and better to my ears as time goes on as well.

I think I am a floozy for bombastic, OTT metal with a theatrical bent. I love the hysteria of it all!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

Iron Maiden and Judas Priest have entered the same leagues as Nightwish, Paradise Lost and Rush for me. Not quite knocking off Lacuna Coil for me but they are just everything I love about music as entertainment, not just as an artform (oh boy...they are all that and more too!).

Listening to the title track of Seventh Son, gothic metal, power metal, prog metal...none of these genres would be the same without albums like this. And I can't quite get my head around the fact that this album is 32 years old!

Priest as well: as much as I love newer metal, bands from ten years ago often sound dated whilst the original wave of metal bands still sound so thrillingly exciting and fresh!

Maiden, Priest and Savatage are highlights of my year. Within Temptation and Dream Theater are the only two bands with new albums that have excited me alongside all these old albums, and I really don't mind having another year spent obsessed and enthralled by old music. It's been a while since I've been this enamoured and excited by music. I have enjoyed playing all my favourite bands and albums in recent months, but Maiden, Priest and Savatage all feel like new discoveries for me (in a sense, Priest is and Savatage definitely is). I also am pleased to say that Within Temptation continue to get better and better to my ears as time goes on as well.

I think I am a floozy for bombastic, OTT metal with a theatrical bent. I love the hysteria of it all!

like i said. i love some of the more modern metal bands.

BUT..........Priest, Sabbath and Maiden are metal in it's PUREST form IMO.

this all got built upon by later generations but in a way it can never be bettered.

WOW that sounded snobby but it's the only way i can express it.

Mick

• Like 1

So these are my favourite metal bands:

1. Lacuna Coil

2. Nightwish

3. Paradise Lost

4. Trivium

5. Iron Maiden

=. Judas Priest

7. Machine Head (they get this high in spite of three awful records)

8. Megadeth

9. Metallica

10. Mastodon (early stuff only, but enough to make them top ten!)

A lot of "M"s lol

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

Mine.

1. Judas Priest

2. Iron Maiden

3. Metallica (through the black album only)

4.. Dream theater

5. Nightwish

6. Black Sabbath

7. Symphony X

8. Machine Head

9. Moterhead

10. Dio (is it sa band? i'm counting it)

Mick

• Like 2

Mine.

1. Judas Priest

2. Iron Maiden

4.. Dream theater

5. Nightwish

6. Black Sabbath

7. Symphony X

8. Machine Head

9. Moterhead

Mick

I love your list! You can see without having all the same bands, that musically we are quite close AND different.

Could never get into Motorhead

• Like 2

Mine.

1. Judas Priest

2. Iron Maiden

4.. Dream theater

5. Nightwish

6. Black Sabbath

7. Symphony X

8. Machine Head

9. Moterhead

Mick

I love your list! You can see without having all the same bands, that musically we are quite close AND different.

Motorhead isn't for everyone....BUT. you can hear the influence they had on Thrash a bit. funny cause out of the branches of Metal. Thrash....with a few exceptions is not really my thing.

Mck

Mine.

1. Judas Priest

2. Iron Maiden

4.. Dream theater

5. Nightwish

6. Black Sabbath

7. Symphony X

8. Machine Head

9. Moterhead

Mick

Motorhead isn't for everyone....BUT. you can hear the influence they had on Thrash a bit. funny cause out of the branches of Metal. Thrash....with a few exceptions is not really my thing.

Mck

I give you that. I don't mind them but I'm happiest with Ace Of Spades and maybe a best of. Same with AC/DC, who I like more as I get older

Here is where I stand with the first 8 Maiden albums, after a lot of plays:

8. No Prayer For The Dying (8/10)

I genuinely love this album. Hard to believe it comes in at last here but, it is what it is.

7. Iron Maiden (8/10)

I love this album a lot as well.

6. Powerslave (10/10)

Yeah now it gets hard because for a brief moment in the eighties Maiden releases nothing but solid platinum masterpieces. Nothing at all wrong going on here, they just can't all be top five.

5. Piece Of Mind (10/10)

Flight Of Icarus is my anthem.

4. Number Of The Beast (10/10)

Just consider the top 6 all equal if you must, because this is possibly too low for an album this great.

3. Killers (10/10)

2. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (10/10)

1. Somewhere In Time (10/10)

My top three is bitching!

• Like 1

Hmmmm.

the first 8.

8. Killers (5/10) ( i played this again it really fell off)

7. No Prayer for the dying (7/10)

6. Iron Maiden 8/10)

5. Powerslave (8/10)

4. Seventh Son (9/10)

3. Number of the Beast (10/10)

2. Piece of Mind (10/10)

1. Somewhere in Time. (10/10)

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Gonna rank all the Priest albums I have listened too and absorbed a fair amount of to date (minus Firepower which I don't think I gave enough time):

11. Nostradamus

10. Ram It Down

9. Rocka Rolla

8. Point Of Entry

7. Turbo

6. Defenders Of The Faith

5. Sin After Sin

4. Killing Machine

3. Stained Class

2. Painkiller

1. Sad Wings Of Destiny

I have plenty more left to listen too and digest! Nostradamus may grow on me, I will have to try and pick out what I am sure are the great moments.

Not got around to British Steel yet. Not a fan of Breaking The Law at all...keeps putting me off!

My ranking

1. Killing Machine

2. Stained Class

3. Sad Wings

4.Screaming For Vengeance

5. Painkiller

6. Firepower

7. Sin After Sin

8. Angel of Retribution

9. Redeemer Of Souls

10. British Steel

11. Rocka Rolla

12. Point of Entry

13. Defenders of the Faith

14. Ram it Down

15. Turbo

16. Demolition

17. Jugulator

18. Nostradamus

Mick

• Like 1

Gonna rank all the Priest albums I have listened too and absorbed a fair amount of to date (minus Firepower which I don't think I gave enough time):

11. Nostradamus

10. Ram It Down

9. Rocka Rolla

8. Point Of Entry

7. Turbo

5. Sin After Sin

4. Killing Machine

3. Stained Class

2. Painkiller

1. Sad Wings Of Destiny

I have plenty more left to listen too and digest! Nostradamus may grow on me, I will have to try and pick out what I am sure are the great moments.

Not got around to British Steel yet. Not a fan of Breaking The Law at all...keeps putting me off!

But British Steel has Rapid Fire on it and you must hear that.

• Like 2

11. Nostradamus

10. Ram It Down

9. Rocka Rolla

8. Point Of Entry

7. Turbo

5. Sin After Sin

4. Killing Machine

3. Stained Class

2. Painkiller

1. Sad Wings Of Destiny

he's tossing it off based on one song, lol

it ain't my fav. but it's ain't bad.

it's WAAAAY better then point of Entry, IMO.

Mick

• Like 1

11. Nostradamus

10. Ram It Down

9. Rocka Rolla

8. Point Of Entry

7. Turbo

5. Sin After Sin

4. Killing Machine

3. Stained Class

2. Painkiller

1. Sad Wings Of Destiny

And Grinder, and The Rage, and Steeler, and You Don’t Have To Be Old To Be Wise, and METAL GODS

11. Nostradamus

10. Ram It Down

9. Rocka Rolla

8. Point Of Entry

7. Turbo

5. Sin After Sin

4. Killing Machine

3. Stained Class

2. Painkiller

1. Sad Wings Of Destiny

And Grinder, and The Rage, and Steeler, and You Don’t Have To Be Old To Be Wise, and METAL GODS

The way Rapid Fire seamlessly fades right into Metal Gods is great. Why those two songs aren't played back to back at every show is a mystery to me.

• Like 1

I really love Rocka Rolla.

It's definitely the sound of a band not there yet, but it's so captivating!

One of my fav things was seeing Segue discover Painkiller.

"oh la di da i have my metal i love it's such a nice little world in my metal bubble!!! hmmmm........what's this? Pain.....killer???? well. i suppose it couldn't hurt!!!

"52 mins later"

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :bang bang: :bang bang: :bang bang: :bang bang:

"what.........is........LIFE??????????

Mick

• Like 3