Jump to content


The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread


  • Please log in to reply
9339 replies to this topic

#9181 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 18686 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:41 PM

i just had dinner.  but i just now started Edge of Thorns.

It sounds just as good Musically.

the Singer has just based on the first 2 tracks.  i nice deeper tone to him.  but he can still belt nicely.  The Sound of this album is very reminisent of Images and Words.

and it came out in 93 onw year after, lol

Mick

Sponsored Post

#9182 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 12068 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:47 PM

I think one of Segue's musical wet dreams came true today. Within Temptation announced their north American tour and In Flames is the opener.

So, have either of you gotten any further into Savatage after last week?

#9183 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 36869 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:06 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 10 December 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

I think one of Segue's musical wet dreams came true today. Within Temptation announced their north American tour and In Flames is the opener.

So, have either of you gotten any further into Savatage after last week?

Edge Of Thorns was...good. haven't gone further

#9184 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 36869 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:06 PM

Can I be honest?

Within Temptation are really losing me with the new stuff. In Flames and them on one setlist though...bloody hell!

#9185 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 12068 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:09 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 10 December 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

Can I be honest?

Within Temptation are really losing me with the new stuff. In Flames and them on one setlist though...bloody hell!

Why did their new album get pushed back to a February release? I was looking it up yesterday because I knew it was supposed to be out this month and saw it changed. Very strange as I can't recall something like that happening after a release date has been announced. Now they have the new album out just in time for the tour here. Not giving the fans much time to digest the new material before they see them.

As for the new songs, I liked the first two songs they released just fine. Nothing mind blowing but enjoyable at least. That third song I don't know about. Sounds like a left over from Sharon's solo album or something.

Savatage, there is a little dip in quality after Edge Of Thorns. Cris Oliva died in a car accident right after that album was released. So his loss is noticable for sure on their next four albums. But there's still some really good stuff on those and certainly worth listening to.

#9186 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 36869 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:28 AM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 10 December 2018 - 08:09 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 10 December 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

Can I be honest?

Within Temptation are really losing me with the new stuff. In Flames and them on one setlist though...bloody hell!

Why did their new album get pushed back to a February release? I was looking it up yesterday because I knew it was supposed to be out this month and saw it changed. Very strange as I can't recall something like that happening after a release date has been announced. Now they have the new album out just in time for the tour here. Not giving the fans much time to digest the new material before they see them.

As for the new songs, I liked the first two songs they released just fine. Nothing mind blowing but enjoyable at least. That third song I don't know about. Sounds like a left over from Sharon's solo album or something.

Savatage, there is a little dip in quality after Edge Of Thorns. Cris Oliva died in a car accident right after that album was released. So his loss is noticable for sure on their next four albums. But there's still some really good stuff on those and certainly worth listening to.

I liked My Indigo for a couple of listens but the album totally fell off my radar after Nightwish and Alter Bridge side projects/bands came out. My Indigo was an ok album.

But we did get two killer Nightwish aide projects:
Auri- Auri
Northward- Northward (imagine if Floor fronted Alter Bridge)

And of course the two killer Kennedy/Tremonti albums.

For some reason the new Within Temptation music sounds desperate. I did love the musoc videos but...no. I will wait for the full album, as I remember hating Hydra for the best part of a year before I finally bought it and now it's possibly in my top three.

Savatage are great but I almost overplayed them. Too much too soon...I did that with Dream Theater and I have only myself to blame!

#9187 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 12068 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:02 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 11 December 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 10 December 2018 - 08:09 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 10 December 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

Can I be honest?

Within Temptation are really losing me with the new stuff. In Flames and them on one setlist though...bloody hell!

Why did their new album get pushed back to a February release? I was looking it up yesterday because I knew it was supposed to be out this month and saw it changed. Very strange as I can't recall something like that happening after a release date has been announced. Now they have the new album out just in time for the tour here. Not giving the fans much time to digest the new material before they see them.

As for the new songs, I liked the first two songs they released just fine. Nothing mind blowing but enjoyable at least. That third song I don't know about. Sounds like a left over from Sharon's solo album or something.

Savatage, there is a little dip in quality after Edge Of Thorns. Cris Oliva died in a car accident right after that album was released. So his loss is noticable for sure on their next four albums. But there's still some really good stuff on those and certainly worth listening to.

I liked My Indigo for a couple of listens but the album totally fell off my radar after Nightwish and Alter Bridge side projects/bands came out. My Indigo was an ok album.

But we did get two killer Nightwish aide projects:
Auri- Auri
Northward- Northward (imagine if Floor fronted Alter Bridge)

And of course the two killer Kennedy/Tremonti albums.

For some reason the new Within Temptation music sounds desperate. I did love the musoc videos but...no. I will wait for the full album, as I remember hating Hydra for the best part of a year before I finally bought it and now it's possibly in my top three.

Savatage are great but I almost overplayed them. Too much too soon...I did that with Dream Theater and I have only myself to blame!

I had to look up Northward. Had no idea Floor had a side project going. I will certainly check it out.

My Indigo is a solid pop album but it has fallen off my radar too. If it was anyone other than Sharon singing I wouldn't have even given it a chance. I think with Hydra, even though I ended up really liking the album, it's obvious Within Temptation wants major pop acceptance. Not sure why at this point they decided on that but I guess it doesn't really matter. The guest vocalist thing is getting out of hand though and needs to stop.

You hearing too much Savatage in short period of time reminds me why I'm hesitant to get into older bands with decent sized catalogs. It can be too much to take on. I'm more likely to check out newer bands with a handful of albums. Seems easier than trying to take on a dozen or more albums at once.

Edited by J2112YYZ, 11 December 2018 - 10:05 AM.


#9188 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 36869 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:54 AM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 11 December 2018 - 10:02 AM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 11 December 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 10 December 2018 - 08:09 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 10 December 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

Can I be honest?

Within Temptation are really losing me with the new stuff. In Flames and them on one setlist though...bloody hell!

Why did their new album get pushed back to a February release? I was looking it up yesterday because I knew it was supposed to be out this month and saw it changed. Very strange as I can't recall something like that happening after a release date has been announced. Now they have the new album out just in time for the tour here. Not giving the fans much time to digest the new material before they see them.

As for the new songs, I liked the first two songs they released just fine. Nothing mind blowing but enjoyable at least. That third song I don't know about. Sounds like a left over from Sharon's solo album or something.

Savatage, there is a little dip in quality after Edge Of Thorns. Cris Oliva died in a car accident right after that album was released. So his loss is noticable for sure on their next four albums. But there's still some really good stuff on those and certainly worth listening to.

I liked My Indigo for a couple of listens but the album totally fell off my radar after Nightwish and Alter Bridge side projects/bands came out. My Indigo was an ok album.

But we did get two killer Nightwish aide projects:
Auri- Auri
Northward- Northward (imagine if Floor fronted Alter Bridge)

And of course the two killer Kennedy/Tremonti albums.

For some reason the new Within Temptation music sounds desperate. I did love the musoc videos but...no. I will wait for the full album, as I remember hating Hydra for the best part of a year before I finally bought it and now it's possibly in my top three.

Savatage are great but I almost overplayed them. Too much too soon...I did that with Dream Theater and I have only myself to blame!

I had to look up Northward. Had no idea Floor had a side project going. I will certainly check it out.

My Indigo is a solid pop album but it has fallen off my radar too. If it was anyone other than Sharon singing I wouldn't have even given it a chance. I think with Hydra, even though I ended up really liking the album, it's obvious Within Temptation wants major pop acceptance. Not sure why at this point they decided on that but I guess it doesn't really matter. The guest vocalist thing is getting out of hand though and needs to stop.

You hearing too much Savatage in short period of time reminds me why I'm hesitant to get into older bands with decent sized catalogs. It can be too much to take on. I'm more likely to check out newer bands with a handful of albums. Seems easier than trying to take on a dozen or more albums at once.

Seriously I feel exactly that! I threw myself headfirst into Sonata Arctica, Leaves Eyes and Iced Earth the last few years and loved it.

But now? I have so many bands and huge doscographies I just want to chillax a lil bit haha

#9189 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 36869 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:56 AM

Guys...please check out Northward. Returned too it this morning and I must say it is a great album from a band that I hope isn't just a one off!

I would like more of this Floor on the next Nightwish.

#9190 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

    Spaceman Spiff

  • Members *
  • 102022 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Numbers & Codes!

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:15 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 11 December 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

Savatage are great but I almost overplayed them. Too much too soon...I did that with Dream Theater and I have only myself to blame!

Speaking of.. Have you guys heard the new DT song? I think it's pretty good, but I'm on the bandwagon with the drums being dull. I'm truly missing Mike Portnoy at this point.

The entire album was written and and recorded in a short period of time like with Train of Thought - looks like they're taking a completely different approach after The Astonishing's failure. I don't think this album will hold a candle to Train of Thought.

#9191 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 12068 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:15 PM

View PostMr. Not, on 13 December 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 11 December 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

Savatage are great but I almost overplayed them. Too much too soon...I did that with Dream Theater and I have only myself to blame!

Speaking of.. Have you guys heard the new DT song? I think it's pretty good, but I'm on the bandwagon with the drums being dull. I'm truly missing Mike Portnoy at this point.

The entire album was written and and recorded in a short period of time like with Train of Thought - looks like they're taking a completely different approach after The Astonishing's failure. I don't think this album will hold a candle to Train of Thought.

I like how the bass and drums are beefed up on the new song but not really much else. Sounds like a fine middle of the album song or a b-side from Dramatic Turn. Not a song that should open a DT album and be the lead single. Vocals aren't mixed well and the chorus is lame with zero hook. They always kick off their albums with something really good. Not sure what happened here?

#9192 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 36869 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 14 December 2018 - 04:06 AM

The new song was faceless. Could be anybody, and I hope it's not an album highlight.

But regardless, from my experience with DT they have enough good music to forgive the bad.

#9193 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 18686 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:04 PM

I have never been less excited about a release then i am with the New DT.  but that's not their fault i haven't been excited about MUSIC recently.  Haven't played any in a week and change.

Mick

#9194 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 12068 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:40 PM

It's always good to get a break from music. I usually binge watch some shows or my wrestling DVDs when I do it.

#9195 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

    Spaceman Spiff

  • Members *
  • 102022 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Numbers & Codes!

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:43 PM

I do think the new song is good, but it doesn't have me enticed either. It seems like a generic outtake from anything written between A Dramatic Turn of Events and The Astonishing, but it's really reminding me of A Dramatic Turn of Events.

The second verse is my favorite part of the song (that's 1:43 - 2:52)

#9196 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

    The Dad Abides

  • Members
  • 10647 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:09 AM

View Postbluefox4000, on 14 December 2018 - 12:04 PM, said:

I have never been less excited about a release then i am with the New DT.  but that's not their fault i haven't been excited about MUSIC recently.  Haven't played any in a week and change.

Mick

Not even Tom? Whats wrong witcha boy?

#9197 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 6468 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:56 AM

https://youtu.be/nSy8JbvNYCM

Aren’t you both big Green Day fans? I really enjoyed this analysis video. Check it out!

#9198 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 36869 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 24 February 2019 - 04:42 AM

So my 2019 albums ranked in order so far:

1. Lighthouse In Darkness- The Melancholy Movies
2. Within Temptation- Resist
3. Ariana Grande- Thank U, Next
4. Dream Theater- Distance Over Time
5. Soen- Lotus

Swallow The Sun needs more spins. Fantastic album so far!

I MISS OUR THREAD

Edited by Segue Myles, 24 February 2019 - 04:57 AM.


#9199 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 18686 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:14 PM

wow i can't make best of lisists in month 2, lol

But I loved Soen and DT.

Swallow the sun will NOT be there most likely......too repeatitive.

but as i say it's a good song.


Mick

#9200 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 12068 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:57 AM

View Postbluefox4000, on 27 February 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

wow i can't make best of lisists in month 2, lol

But I loved Soen and DT.

Swallow the sun will NOT be there most likely......too repeatitive.

but as i say it's a good song.


Mick

Too repetitive?

Come on, the chorus on the first track is done in a completely different vocal style than the one on track four lol.

When it's a theme or concept album I usually let the sameness slide because the band is trying to convey a certain mood with it.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users