The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Bump!!!

enjoying those hacks Green Day.

thanks Rerushed for re-affirming their greatness.

Mick

Did you hear their last album? Not super consistent, but I’d argue the good stuff is great.

Bump!!!

Mick

Did you hear their last album? Not super consistent, but I’d argue the good stuff is great.

i used to not like it.....i like it better. but not their best. but.......it's worthy of their cannon IMO. Perhaps a stop gap before something really great.

Mick

• Like 1

Bump!!!

Mick

i used to not like it.....i like it better. but not their best. but.......it's worthy of their cannon IMO. Perhaps a stop gap before something really great.

Mick

Perhaps indeed. If they pulled off huge success twice, what are the odds they could do it again?

• Like 1

My rating so far:

1. Nimrod

2. Insomniac

3. American Idiot

4. Dookie

5. Warning

6. 21st Century Breakdown

7. Uno

8. Dos

9. Tre

I have to relisten to the rest to make my mind over.

I really love every album. I am loving a revisit! Strange how I already know nearly all the songs but have never truly listened to their albums start to finish before (anyone not in the know, I grew up with them being played by my friends all the time).

I want to replay the first two albums and Revolution Radio soon. Then Demolicious and Shenanigans. I LOVE GREEN DAY!

I haven't got bored once. Any stinkers? Nightlife on Dos is particularly dreadful and...the...that is it!

• Like 2

You know i didn't realize how low i'd rated Insomiac but it's not a slight against it really. it's just i don't play it often.

it just a record i never think to play......weird.

Mick

I think its better than Dookie in some ways.

• Like 1

Savatage just went and blew my mind!

I remember a couple years ago I kept telling you that you would like them. You always seemed like you were willing to give them a chance but never did. Glad to see you finally did.

Have you given Gutter Ballet a listen? Edge Of Thorns is great too. They got a new singer for that album. Jon Oliva wanted to just concentrate on keyboards and songwriting. So they hired Zacarhy Stevens who can actually sing lol.

I remember a couple years ago I kept telling you that you would like them. You always seemed like you were willing to give them a chance but never did. Glad to see you finally did.

Have you given Gutter Ballet a listen? Edge Of Thorns is great too. They got a new singer for that album. Jon Oliva wanted to just concentrate on keyboards and songwriting. So they hired Zacarhy Stevens who can actually sing lol.

So far:

The Streets (8/10)

The Sirens And The Dungeons Are Calling (The Complete Sessions) (8/10)

There is melody, bombast, heaviness and a surprising lack of corniness given the time period. Really enjoying them...I hear a little heavy AOR influence (some of these songs lean towards the really heavy side of early Bon Jovi, Poison and other bands), but there is also something really unique going on I cannot quite put my finger on. It's really special.

So far:

The Streets (8/10)

The Sirens And The Dungeons Are Calling (The Complete Sessions) (8/10)

There is melody, bombast, heaviness and a surprising lack of corniness given the time period. Really enjoying them...I hear a little heavy AOR influence (some of these songs lean towards the really heavy side of early Bon Jovi, Poison and other bands), but there is also something really unique going on I cannot quite put my finger on. It's really special.

If you like Sirens and Dungeons then give Hall Of The Mountain King a listen. It's the same style only a billion times better.

I gave Gutter Ballet a listen. Really great!

I sort of hear Meat Loaf on this style. It's almost operatic.

• Like 1

Yeah, if Meat Loaf was metal he would have either sounded like Nightwish or Savatage.

Savatage took a little bit to find their sound. More traditional metal at the beginning up through Hall Of The Mountain King. From Gutter Ballet onward it was more like heavy metal meets Broadway musical. A guy by the name of Paul O'Neill was a writer and collaborator with the band. He's also responsible for starting TSO. He wrote most of Streets back in the 70s and intended to make it a Broadway musical but never did.

Yeah, if Meat Loaf was metal he would have either sounded like Nightwish or Savatage.

Savatage took a little bit to find their sound. More traditional metal at the beginning up through Hall Of The Mountain King. From Gutter Ballet onward it was more like heavy metal meets Broadway musical. A guy by the name of Paul O'Neill was a writer and collaborator with the band. He's also responsible for starting TSO. He wrote most of Streets back in the 70s and intended to make it a Broadway musical but never did.

I will be collecting this bands work. Phenomenal music! Really immersive.

• Like 1

Savatage is Blowing my mind too boys.

i've heard.

Hall of the MMountain King

Streets

playing Gutter Ballet now.

well call me a fan.......cause they just earned it.

Mick

I want to say you becoming a fan is a surprise but when I think of the band's sound it's really not. The Broadway meets metal sound is something you would totally dig.

They did get a new singer on Edge Of Thorns. Jon Oliva the original vocalist still stayed on as a songwriter though. They gained something new with the vocalist change and the song quality didn't suffer too much.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

We are having a huge nerd out about them on Messenger haha

I love this band. Like...I. reading about them, discovering things like Sirens And The Dungeons Are Calling took ONE DAY TO RECORD, and other things...amazing band.

I don't really like the second and third albums but from Hall onwards I am sold.

Glad I came back! You did tell me if like them...I made the mistake of listening chronologically

The song When the Crowds Are Gone....................my jaw dropped.

bra-fukking-vo!!!!!

That was a steinman inspired ballad if their ever was one!!!!

Mick

Seriously, I want that song played at my funeral.

"I wasted my time till time wasted me"

What a line!

• Like 1

The song When the Crowds Are Gone....................my jaw dropped.

bra-fukking-vo!!!!!

That was a steinman inspired ballad if their ever was one!!!!

Mick

Seriously, I want that song played at my funeral.

"I wasted my time till time wasted me"

What a line!

i teared up.

that song just builds and builds to a perfect Meat Loaf/Steinman-esque climax.

i was breathless, lol

Mick

• Like 1

I said in the albums thread. Streets feels like their Alice Cooper send up.

Gutter Ballet.

i now Hear the Meat Loaf.

and oddly AC/DC in the vocals here.

Mick

As a huge Cooper fan I never made that connection with Streets. But I could totally see Cooper doing something like that since he's all over the rock/metal map with his sound.

Yeah, Jon Oliva's higher pitched shrieks can be reminiscent of Brian Johnson.

• Like 1