The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Dust may well still be my favourite. Lime I said, A Dying Machine is still we and exciting to me ears! I finally bought a copy today so I've been playing it properly rather than through Spotify which has only made it sound even bigger!
  • Like 1

So I appear to be out of my intense goth metal phase and back into really good alt-rock.

Loving Alter Bridge, Slipknot, Tremonti, Stone Sour, surprisingly enjoyed Guns N Roses and have also been playing recent efforts from Stone Temple Pilots and Alice In Chains.

Good times!

Ranking Alter Bridge:

5. Blackbird (8/10)

I know many fans love this album, but for me it has fillers. I have never loved Brand New Start, Rise Today or Coming Home (which are all in the first half) and overall I find it very samey. This is me sounding critical. Any other band and this could be a favourite. The title track, Come To Life and Ties That Bind are amazing, and Watch Over You is in the running for best Alter Bridge song ever. Also love the second half of the album a lot, and the three bonus tracks from this era, We Don't Care At All, The Damage Done and New Way To Live are fantastic. Not the worst Alter Bridge album, I'd prefer to say fifth best.

4. One Day Remains (8/10)

I have no criticism for this album, only that everything great about this album only improved later on (even Blackbird has better moments). Myles doesn't play lead guitar, but he makes up for it with his spellbinding voice. Not a weak track. Find The Real, In Loving Memory, Burn It Down, Broken Wings, the eternally underrated The End Is Here...One Day Remains is one of the greatest debut albums of all time. I'd be obsessed with Alter Bridge the same way I am Grey if this remained their only album. The three non-album songs of this era, Breathe, Cruel Sun and Solace are beautiful. They would have made the album overlong, but they also are all worth a listen. More on this later.

3. The Last Hero (9/10)

Now there are fans who dislike this album. It's been called tired sounding, uninspired, forced, derivative. I actually disagree. I hear a powerful, focused, intense and HEAVY rock album with a thematic drive that channels through the entirety of the album, binding together thirteen tracks into a cohesive whole. This album may lack instant classics, but it's become the Alter Bridge album I live to listen to the most without skipping tracks. Show Me The Leader opens the album in explosive fashion, and I love it. A real call to arms that reminds me a little of the kind of in your face political statements Green Day and U2 used in their most obnoxious eras. Elsewhere, heavy rockers like Poison In Your Veins, This Side Of Fate and The Other Side keep on sounding better and better. Then their are the really emotional, powerful songs like Cradle To The Grave, My Champion and You Will Be Remembered. Alter Bridge are fantastic at writing killer sonfs like this. My Champion is another song that many fans have shown dislike for, but it's am earnest and emotive number and I love the message. You Will Be Remembered has become one of my top Alter Bridge ballads. But for me, the last four songs are fantastic. I have heard many fans complain about Crows On A Wire and Twilight. I LOVE THEM! But their relative throwaway nature sets the last two songs up perfectly, because whilst the two aforementioned songs are arguably the lightest listens on the album, the closing one two punch of Island Of Fools and the title track is mesmerising! I think it may be the greatest closing to any Alter Bridge album bar maybe Fortress. I could go on about this album for days. I love it so much, even more so than I did upon its release. It keeps on getting better and better and may soon eclipse my top two.

2. Fortress (10/10)

Flawless. Totally, and utterly flawless. Cry Of Achilles, Bleed It Dry, Addicted To Pain, Waters Rising, Calm The Fire...Every single song on Fortress is an album highlight. My least favourite song? The sublime inspirational rocker All Ends Well. My favourite songs are fairly easy to pick out, on an album where I love absolutely everything, opening number Cry Of Achilles, Calm The Fire and the closing Fortress cemented Alter Bridge as one of my all time favourite bands, who up to this point had me obsessed with ABIII and quite content with the first two albums. After Fortress, I came to really, truly appreciate the first two albums, and I go back and forth all the time as to which album I prefer between this and ABIII. Production wise, this is the best sounding Alter Bridge album. Song wise, this has the widest variety and the strongest, most explosive songwriting to date (the pummeling title track and the titanic choruses on Cry Of Achilles and Addicted To Pain), and in Calm The Fire Myles Kennedy gives perhaps his best vocal performance ever. Did I say I love this album? It's one of the highlights of this decade for me.

1. ABIII (10/10)

I have one and only one complaint: the production is a little muddy and dense. When I first listened to this record, it put me off. But enough of that. Time passes and this album became one of the most important collection of songs I have ever heard in my entire life. I have battled depression, survived sexual abuse, struggled with suicidal tendencies, have found and lost faith in religion. I have been pushed to many extremes in little over a decade.

ABIII was an album for the moment it all started to crash down on me. And each and every song has inspired me, or comforted me, or recalled me back to life. Whilst I can easily play Fortress for sheer and utter joy of loving rock n roll, ABIII is a cathartic and mesmerising emotional experience. I love everything they did lyrically on this album. It's a darker, emotional side to AB and I love it. Amazingly many fans HATE this album. There is a lot of very passionate backlash arguments against this records worth, and listening too it, whilst I disagree that this is a poor listen, it does hit many different emotions than the previous two only hinted at, and musically this album took on a far heavier, more Soundgarden-esque heaviness. Not just in sound, but in intensity too. Songs like Slip To The Void, Ghost Of Days Gone By, Fallout, Show Me A Sign, Breathe Again...oh gosh I truly love these songs. But my favourite songs are Wonderful Life (breathtaking vocals), I Know It Hurts (also referred to me as Lighten Up Sadface, I Love Ya) and the closing epic Words Darker Than Their Wings. I could not live without this album. In fact, much like Rush I feel that I have taken their greatness for granted so much that I forget to give them credit as one of my favourite bands. But with the top three albums, I really can say Alter Bridge mean more to me than nearly any other US band ever. As time goes on, they stand out from various other bands more and more. So far, I can happily say I love everything about this band.

SPECIAL MENTION:

Live At The O2 Arena + Rarities (8/10)

Ignore the live album. It's ok, but it's the "bonus" disc you want more. Absolutely every b-side, rarity or (to my knowledge) complete recorded unreleased track is collected on one disc. The lay out of the songs is great too, working forwards in chronological order from their One Day Remains era to the latest release, The Last Hero. Eleven terrific songs, my favourites are Breathe (ODR), New Way To Live (BB), Zero, Never Born To Follow (ABIII) and the magnificent Symphony Of Agony (incorrectly titled on special editions of The Last Hero as Last Of Our Kind). Every fan of Alter Bridge should get this album. The live album is really good too, but that isn't the reason to purchase this release.

My AB rankings

1. AB III (9/10) I connect with this one most emotionally. and for my money their best melodically But like most AB albums. if not in the mood it drags.

2. Fortress (10/10) it's in the number 2 spot but objectively it's probably their best song for song. and it gets the prize for most intense AB album

3. Blackbird (8/10) AB's grower album. Not immediately noticeable but when it opens up. it's pretty great.

4. One Day Remains (7.5/10) The most Creed like and not one i reach for much but it's a pleasant enough listen when i do.....but much better things would come

5. rhe Last Hero (6/10) Every criticism i've had of it still stands. Sounds like a tired band, or a band saving their best stuff for other projects OR even a contractual fulfillment album. It's got nuggets of greatness but otherwise I've heard this stuff and done much better previously. I do think it's first half is much better.

Mick

My AB rankings

1. AB III (9/10) I connect with this one most emotionally. and for my money their best melodically But like most AB albums. if not in the mood it drags.

2. Fortress (10/10) it's in the number 2 spot but objectively it's probably their best song for song. and it gets the prize for most intense AB album

3. Blackbird (8/10) AB's grower album. Not immediately noticeable but when it opens up. it's pretty great.

4. One Day Remains (7.5/10) The most Creed like and not one i reach for much but it's a pleasant enough listen when i do.....but much better things would come

5. rhe Last Hero (6/10) Every criticism i've had of it still stands. Sounds like a tired band, or a band saving their best stuff for other projects OR even a contractual fulfillment album. It's got nuggets of greatness but otherwise I've heard this stuff and done much better previously. I do think it's first half is much better.

Mick

Haha I remember just being glad I got you to listen to them in the first place! They are in my top tier favourite bands. It's been about seven years now and I absolutely adore them more now than ever before.

• Like 1

My AB rankings

Mick

Haha I remember just being glad I got you to listen to them in the first place! They are in my top tier favourite bands. It's been about seven years now and I absolutely adore them more now than ever before.

i had such an aversion to them cause of the Creed thing.

ya know i'm glad i started with ABIII

had i started on the debut honestly i would have said this is Creed and probably dropped em.

Mick

I listened to The Last Hero a few days ago and got almost nothing out of it. I remember liking it enough when it first came out but cooling off on it after a couple months. This is the first time I've heard it in probably a year and a half and it is not aging well for me. Even the songs I really did like when it came out weren't striking a chord with me at all. Yep, Mark and Myles were definitely looking forward to their solo releases when doing this album because all the really good stuff ended up there.
  • Like 1

I listened to The Last Hero a few days ago and got almost nothing out of it. I remember liking it enough when it first came out but cooling off on it after a couple months. This is the first time I've heard it in probably a year and a half and it is not aging well for me. Even the songs I really did like when it came out weren't striking a chord with me at all. Yep, Mark and Myles were definitely looking forward to their solo releases when doing this album because all the really good stuff ended up there.

totally agree. i gave it a 6 but.......and Segue will hate this.....THAT WAS TOOOOOOOOOO GENEROUS!!!!!!!

really a half assed effort. i suppose i shouldn't be so harsh. but i dropped money on the CD and i feel screwed, lol. they were NOT focused AT ALL!!!!!!! at least not fully

whew......i needed this rant.

but really. if they weren't focused.....which i could hear they weren't. don't do an AB project. it was literally AB by numbers.

Big solos......check.

Big Choruses......yawn.....check.

I'll shut up now........but i've been holding that in about this album, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

totally agree. i gave it a 6 but.......and Segue will hate this.....THAT WAS TOOOOOOOOOO GENEROUS!!!!!!!

really a half assed effort. i suppose i shouldn't be so harsh. but i dropped money on the CD and i feel screwed, lol. they were NOT focused AT ALL!!!!!!! at least not fully

whew......i needed this rant.

but really. if they weren't focused.....which i could hear they weren't. don't do an AB project. it was literally AB by numbers.

Big solos......check.

Big Choruses......yawn.....check.

I'll shut up now........but i've been holding that in about this album, lol

Mick

That's fine. After two years it only gets better for me. Every time I've revisited it it got stronger and I absolutely love it.

• Like 1

Guys don't sleep on the new AIC album Rainier Fog. IMO it's their best non-layne album

It would be their best non Layne album if Black Gives Way To Blue didn't already exist. The best off that beats the best off the new album.

I enjoyed it!

Only reason I don't listen to it enough is because I am so busy I find taking in new music a challenge...

I will be buying it before the year ends!

• Like 1

Segue, have you ever given the metal band Witherfall a listen before?

Nope! Never heard of them!

Have you listened too the new Cellar Darling song Insomnia? I LOVE IT!

Witherfall is a more of a traditional sounding metal band. Great melodic vocals and musicianship. Their second album A Prelude To Sorrow came out yesterday and I'm loving it so far. The band's original drummer got sick and passed away last year and the album's theme is about that. I think you would enjoy it.

I have never heard Cellar Darling before. I'll give them a try.

• Like 1

Witherfall is a more of a traditional sounding metal band. Great melodic vocals and musicianship. Their second album A Prelude To Sorrow came out yesterday and I'm loving it so far. The band's original drummer got sick and passed away last year and the album's theme is about that. I think you would enjoy it.

I have never heard Cellar Darling before. I'll give them a try.

I really like Cellar Darling. They are like a blend of The Gathering and modern prog. The debut album was great but the new song took my breath away!