The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Judging by my reaction to Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good, an album I played I think like once ober a decade ago, Megadeth may easily top Metallica for me.

What a great album! And I have a feeling this isn't even close to their best.

• Like 1

Judging by my reaction to Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good, an album I played I think like once ober a decade ago, Megadeth may easily top Metallica for me.

Megadeth destroys Metallica. Much better musically and more consistent when it comes to releasing quality albums. Very hard working band. Every two or three years with a new album and on the road non stop whenever they tour.

I never thought their debut was anything other than OK though. Mustaine was still finding the bands sound there. They came into it much more with the next album.

• Like 1

Megadeth destroys Metallica. Much better musically and more consistent when it comes to releasing quality albums. Very hard working band. Every two or three years with a new album and on the road non stop whenever they tour.

I never thought their debut was anything other than OK though. Mustaine was still finding the bands sound there. They came into it much more with the next album.

I don't really know why I never tried more of Megadeth. I have played songs and heard a couple of albums casually but never hit it off. But I heard elements of Megadeth onnthe new Tremonti (or what I thought sounded like Megadeth) so decided to start from the beginning. The debut was fantastic and then Peace Sells went and buried it!

I already have more love for them than Metallica. I am saying that in advance but I really couldn't believe my ears!

I don't really know why I never tried more of Megadeth. I have played songs and heard a couple of albums casually but never hit it off. But I heard elements of Megadeth onnthe new Tremonti (or what I thought sounded like Megadeth) so decided to start from the beginning. The debut was fantastic and then Peace Sells went and buried it!

I already have more love for them than Metallica. I am saying that in advance but I really couldn't believe my ears!

I started with Rust In Peace, followed by Countdown To Extinction

When I got Peace Sells after that it was actually a bit of a letdown.

Btw, that's not meant as a diss of Peace Sells, more of a taste of what you're in for. I hope you like wicked guitar solos.

I enjoy them Despite Mustane. who i honestly do not like vocally.

but the playing is wicked.

I love the run from Killing is my Business to Countdown to Extinction best.

but there's good stuff all across their discography.

Mick

• Like 1

I actually really like his voice. It's snarling and twisted and so very metal.
  • Like 1

see.....it sounds so forced to me.....but different strokes.

Mick

Not forced at all. Mustaine is naturally an angry at the world person with a chip on his shoulder. The voice is perfect for him.

• Like 1

Mick

Not forced at all. Mustaine is naturally an angry at the world person with a chip on his shoulder. The voice is perfect for him.

Mustaine is way more believable than Hetfeild when it comes to sounding absolutely pissed off. Honestly, at times he's more aggressive than Tom Arya too, who is pretty silly sounding come to think of it. Mustaine and Belladonna are my fav thrash vocalists by far.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Mick

Mustaine is way more believable than Hetfeild when it comes to sounding absolutely pissed off. Honestly, at times he's more aggressive than Tom Arya too, who is pretty silly sounding come to think of it. Mustaine and Belladonna are my fav thrash vocalists by far.

Hetfield was believable on those first four albums. Don't think anyone would sing like that if they didn't have some serious rage in them. Chuck Billy from Testament is probably my favorite pissed off thrash voice. He's gotten more angry and aggressive as the years go by. His work on the last three Testament albums are by far his best.

Mick

Hetfield was believable on those first four albums. Don't think anyone would sing like that if they didn't have some serious rage in them. Chuck Billy from Testament is probably my favorite pissed off thrash voice. He's gotten more angry and aggressive as the years go by. His work on the last three Testament albums are by far his best.

I did like that Dark Roots album by them when I listened to it, but that was a long while back.

I mean, you are right about Hetfield, but Enter Sandman being my first introduction to Metallica many years ago, the only album where I can't hear the silliness to come a few years down the road is Kill 'Em All, and there he just sounds like he wants to be Lemmy.

Testament used to be my favourite old school metal band, but Metallica, In Flames, Machine Head and more modern bands like Mastodon and Trivium took their place. But I do agree on the last three albums!

I'm still a bit stuck on AOR. it really is my summer genre.

but because of Segue i've played Megadeth first 5 albums today.

that guitar work though.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

I'm still a bit suck on AOR. it really is my summer genre.

that guitar work though.

Mick

Mustaine makes Metallica look silly for ditching him for Hammett.

• Like 1

that guitar work though.

Mick

i'll be honest. still not huge on his voice. it's the weakest link......just in my opinion.

Dude can play though.

Mick

that guitar work though.

Mick

They used the excuse that Mustaine was too much of an alcoholic and it was messing things up for the band. Which may have been true but the rest of Metallica was notorious for their drinking for many years. Is it possible that Mustaine was seen as too good of a player and he was let go because of that. Musically just about everything he's done has outshined the best that James and Lars could give. Cliff was probably able to keep up.

Either way it was the best thing to happen to Dave. It gave him that i've got something to prove mentality which he has never lost and is probably the reason Megadeth has been so consistently good with only a couple of duds in the discography.

• Like 2

that guitar work though.

Mick

They used the excuse that Mustaine was too much of an alcoholic and it was messing things up for the band. Which may have been true but the rest of Metallica was notorious for their drinking for many years. Is it possible that Mustaine was seen as too good of a player and he was let go because of that. Musically just about everything he's done has outshined the best that James and Lars could give. Cliff was probably able to keep up.

Either way it was the best thing to happen to Dave. It gave him that i've got something to prove mentality which he has never lost and is probably the reason Megadeth has been so consistently good with only a couple of duds in the discography.

Yea much as i enjoy Metallica. they really struggle keeping up the quality.

you know my problem with them......their albums starting inn the 90's became needlessly long.

Great tunes on each for sure but they can trim over 10 minutes on most releases at least.

Megadeth has always kept it more concise

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

that guitar work though.

Mick

you know my problem with them......their albums starting inn the 90's became needlessly long.

Great tunes on each for sure but they can trim over 10 minutes on most releases at least.

I'm okay with long albums when they have flow and structure.

Try finding that in the mess of tracks on Load and Reload.

And tbh I think Hetfeild's vocals on those two are some of his best, and Kirk shines best as a soloist on bluesier, rockier material. So it's a shame how hard it is to sit through those records or want to return to them.

Lars' drumming did get hilariously simplified though, lol.

• Like 1

that guitar work though.

Mick

I'm okay with long albums when they have flow and structure.

Try finding that in the mess of tracks on Load and Reload.

And tbh I think Hetfeild's vocals on those two are some of his best, and Kirk shines best as a soloist on bluesier, rockier material. So it's a shame how hard it is to sit through those records or want to return to them.

Lars' drumming did get hilariously simplified though, lol.

Dude Lars is pretty awful live, lol

it's comical at times.

Mick

• Like 1

that guitar work though.

Mick

i'll be honest. still not huge on his voice. it's the weakest link......just in my opinion.

Dude can play though.

Mick

It's not a great voice but it works with the music. And the music is bloody amazing!

• Like 2

Mick...give Leaves Eyes Lovelorn and Vinland Saga a go. So much beauty in that bands sound. They put in a lot of folk and gentle pop elements in their sound. I got into them after I fell in love with Nightwish's gentler side and they are quite unique in their field. Liv Kristine has such a gentle, seductive voice. Sort of Kate Bush meets some eighties Broadway star.
  • Like 1

I AM SEEING TAYLOR SWIFT LIVE ON SATURDAY AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
  • Like 1

So I've played every Tremonti album today, through my stereo.

This is how I rank them, and it's chanhed:

4. All I Was (8/10)

Nothing wrong with it, but I feel stronger songs came later!

3. Cauterize (9/10)

This has really grown on me. Near flawless, I think its a great album.

2. Dust (9/10)

Absolutely fantastic. The ballads here are what make me rank it over Cauterize, but overall I think he saved the best songs for this outing.

1. A Dying Machine (9/10)

I have no issue with the album length. This album is a bona-fide masterpiece. All that holds it back from being a ten is that it's still to new. But this could be my album of 2018.

Mine.

4. All I was 8/10

I really like this. all the albums are the same formula but this is less perfected. but it still gets a 8.

3. A Dying Machine. 8/10

Sharper more focused melody/hook wise but a little overly bloated and long. there's my long album thing, lol. byt a solid effort.

Cauterize (9/10.

i almost think of this and Dust as a double. this is just Tremonti working at full power.

Dust 9/10

The definitive Tremonti for me. as of now. just gorgeous.

Mick

• Like 1