The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

this died but....poof.

i'd doing this cause Entre_Prepetuo will be playing Chicago fairly soon. and i'll be keeping this alive so he can find it easy to put his thoughts.

Chicago rules.

Mick

Thx Mick

So far my ranking is

V

II

VI

lol, I know that's not much to go on. Also I haven't heard II in a good while, so it might be better than V.

I'm interested in your thoughts on VII since fans drool over it......me not so much. it's a chore. it's almost pure jazz. that almost didn't mix in the rock. which is what makes the band special, IMO.

Mick

Well I do like jazz, but it has to be good jazz, lol

• Like 1

this died but....poof.

i'd doing this cause Entre_Prepetuo will be playing Chicago fairly soon. and i'll be keeping this alive so he can find it easy to put his thoughts.

Chicago rules.

Mick

Thx Mick

So far my ranking is

V

II

VI

lol, I know that's not much to go on. Also I haven't heard II in a good while, so it might be better than V.

I'm interested in your thoughts on VII since fans drool over it......me not so much. it's a chore. it's almost pure jazz. that almost didn't mix in the rock. which is what makes the band special, IMO.

Mick

Well I do like jazz, but it has to be good jazz, lol

then you might enjoy this.

Also when Talking about Bassists no one mentions Peter Cetara. Say what you will bout him now.

but back in the day. hiss bass playing was fire.

Mick

• Like 2

Peter Cetara and Terry Kath were amazing back in their prime.

And I still think Robert Lamm has one of the best vocals ever.

Robert Lamm was arguably the best singer in that band, which is saying something.

• Like 1

The musicians in chicago on all underrated. Need proof?

I posted this in another thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uAUoz7jimg

Mick

What an amazing solo from him, I still think back to when I read about how Jimi Hendrix said that he was a better guitar player than him. Just so much talent, he was criminally underrated

i read that too.......i think i might be inclined to agree? maybe? lol. i dunno but i saw this clip years ago.

i have never seen someone throw themselves into a solo quite that way.

I love early Chicago. so........much, lol

Mick

• Like 3

What died, this thread? NEVER!!!!

Rod!!!!! how goes it?

I'll be writing my Similitude of a Dream thoughts here too when i get the DVD.

it can't come fast enough.

Mick

I'm good, but not great...tough times here, but we carry on.

• Like 1

Back home from school and starting to go through my Chicago records. Starting with VII, so far so instrumental, lol.
  • Like 1

I dunno Mick, I'm liking VII a lot right now.

lol. that's ok. i can see why people like it. it's to jazzed out for me.

but yea like the first side is ENTIRELY instrumental.

i may have to spin it again it's been a while.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

I think I'd have a much harder time getting through this if I weren't listening on vinyl. Somehow all the instrumental stuff doesn't seem too overwhelming when I think of it as a side of a record.

• Like 1

but there probably are too many bongos, I'll give you that. They're neat in places, but they get old pretty fast.
  • Like 1

Mick

I think I'd have a much harder time getting through this if I weren't listening on vinyl. Somehow all the instrumental stuff doesn't seem too overwhelming when I think of it as a side of a record.

listening on Vinyl is so different. and in the case of double albums actually better, IMO. you have sides to break up everything. and you don't need to listen all at once. you can one side each listen. which kinda works, loll

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

listening on Vinyl is so different. and in the case of double albums actually better, IMO. you have sides to break up everything. and you don't need to listen all at once. you can one side each listen. which kinda works, loll

Mick

That's exactly why I'm waiting to get The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway until I find it on vinyl, lol.

• Like 1

Okay, VII ends on a kinda cheesy note, but otherwise I really enjoyed it. The hits at the end are as gold as the album cover, and the instrumentals at the start went through so many different moods and ideas so smoothly. Could do with less bongo, but otherwise I loved it.
  • Like 1

Okay, VII ends on a kinda cheesy note, but otherwise I really enjoyed it. The hits at the end are as gold as the album cover, and the instrumentals at the start went through so many different moods and ideas so smoothly. Could do with less bongo, but otherwise I loved it.

i enjoyed it more then i first did......but i still think it's my least fav of the classic period.

Mick

• Like 1

Chicago 2 Steven Wilson remix--------------------> Outstanding.

Glad Steven Wilson knows more than just the established prog rock staples deserve consideration.

• Like 1