The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Eulogy.

Ahhhh. Closing nicely. this song's gorgeous. love the Atmosphere. Have headphones on and it enhances it.

Final thoughts. the stuff i love i REALLY Adore. if you didn't have these odd moments. i'm serious when i say......you'd have one of their most beautiful records.

i'm Going higher thn Segue on my score

7/10.

the stuff i love is wonderful enough to warrant this.

sorry if it's to high friends, lol

Mick

It's a 6 for me. Remove those four songs, maybe 5, you have a potential 8.

But 8 seems so high...

This is The Crusade of Machine Head albums. Frustratingly ambitious and flawed all at once, powered by all the wrong influences and some of the best new ideas all at once.

• Like 1

i've already made my own

1. Volatile

2. Catharsis

3.. Beyond the Pale

4. Kelidoscope

5. Bastards

6. Hope Begets Hope

7. Behind a Mask

8. Heavy Lies the Crown

9. Eulogy.

that's actually a GREAT record Segue

Mick

That's kinda mine! I can keep Volatile. But then again I prefer Catharsis as an opener.

• Like 1

I'm into Machine Head, The Gathering, Lacuna Coil, Flowing Tears.

I surprised myself by liking the new Leaves Eyes album (the first without Liv Kristine), and a band called Kingfisher Sky are good as well.

I tend to love female fronted metal/ rock music when its cold. Machine Head and Paradise Lost are the two bands I play the most though.

I surprised myself by liking the new Leaves Eyes album (the first without Liv Kristine), and a band called Kingfisher Sky are good as well.

I tend to love female fronted metal/ rock music when its cold. Machine Head and Paradise Lost are the two bands I play the most though.

i haven't spun a Lacuna Coil Record in ages.

The Gathering never toook off with me like i felt they should have......but I LOVE Paradise Lost.

Mick

• Like 1

i haven't spun a Lacuna Coil Record in ages.

The Gathering never toook off with me like i felt they should have......but I LOVE Paradise Lost.

Mick

The Gathering are amazing. Like in all honesty...they never put a foot wrong once they found their niche on Mandylion.

Paradise Lost are probably my favourite band now, and yet Lacuna Coil remain so close to my heart it's crazy. Lacuna Coil's first two releases sound like a combination of Paradise Lost and The Gathering to my ears. Draconian Times and Mandylion had sex and gave birth to In A Reverie.

Oddly, as much as I love The Gathering they have never been mainstays in my music listening. I can go a couple of years not playing a thing and then have a week of playing nothing else but them. But I do adore them, in reality these three are probably the bands I love the most but I can't deny The Gathering are quite low on my list if most played bands I love.

In a sense, I probably love The Gathering as much as Rush or Thrice. They mean a lot but aren't regularly rotated.

Also as much as I love Paradise Lost, the last two albums don't quite match my favourite era: Shades Of God through to Tragic Idol. My bottom four PL albums contain The Plague Within and Medusa, and yet unlike Lost Paradise and Gothic, I truly enjoy them a lot!

• Like 1

The new Machine Head is terrible. They put all their efforts into making the title track good that they forgot that the rest of it needs to be decent as well. Why in 2018 over a decade after nu metal was at it's height am I hearing a band that is not Slipknot trying to make a Slipknot album? By the way, this would be really good if it was a Slipknot album because at least the musical sound would be appropriate. I have no idea what Machine Head was thinking when writing this but they are completely out of touch with the metal scene if they think this sound is going to somehow work for them. This album is a bigger fail that Burning Red and Supercharger. At least nu metal was a thing when they tried it then. Now it's so far past it's day that it just makes the band look like a joke for trying it again.

The new Machine Head is terrible. They put all their efforts into making the title track good that they forgot that the rest of it needs to be decent as well. Why in 2018 over a decade after nu metal was at it's height am I hearing a band that is not Slipknot trying to make a Slipknot album? By the way, this would be really good if it was a Slipknot album because at least the musical sound would be appropriate. I have no idea what Machine Head was thinking when writing this but they are completely out of touch with the metal scene if they think this sound is going to somehow work for them. This album is a bigger fail that Burning Red and Supercharger. At least nu metal was a thing when they tried it then. Now it's so far past it's day that it just makes the band look like a joke for trying it again.

I'm torn......

But it's their second worst album after Supercharger, I would likely rank The Burning Red above.

Never mind. It's not going to change how great their six masterpieces are.

I don't think it's terrible either. i mean it's got terrible stuff on it.

but what i enjoyed i REALLY enjoyed.

i think it's a great album marred by horrible decisions.

but i can see where the hate comes from.

Mick

Mick

I really admire their honesty though. The band know this album is not what anyone particularly wants, but its an honest record, and flawed because of it. But again, the last four albums in a row...they broke a perfect run but it doesnt change the quality of those four records.

If this is a record they had to make, I hope it leads to something special next time. I actually really enjoy this though, it's a chaotic mess and I find it fun.

• Like 1

Mick

I really admire their honesty though. The band know this album is not what anyone particularly wants, but its an honest record, and flawed because of it. But again, the last four albums in a row...they broke a perfect run but it doesnt change the quality of those four records.

If this is a record they had to make, I hope it leads to something special next time. I actually really enjoy this though, it's a chaotic mess and I find it fun.

Agreed. it's flawed but when it was good. it was really good. next record will be make or break for some fans though.

Mick

Mick

Agreed. it's flawed but when it was good. it was really good. next record will be make or break for some fans though.

Mick

This one is already that...seriously it's ok but I struggle to understand how the last four albums lead to this. It doesn't matter how much I like it, they followed Bloodstones And Diamonds with songs like California Bleeding and Razorblade Kiss.

It's verging on unforgivable. But then again, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Celtic Frost...even my beloved Paradise Lost...have followed great albums or eras with poorly received changes in artistic direction.

But Paradise Lost have gained favour with albums like One Second and Host finally beinf reappraised for being the masterpieces they truly are. But Catharsis? It's more like Load/Reload. I totally get the hate. Some may say St. Anger, but this has a handful of great songs, and Machine Head already have Supercharger which is far worse than St. Anger.

Catharsis is a divisive album. I am torn. I like enough of it but its already fading again. But I will always truly love the title song. Behind The Mask, Bastards and Hope Begets Hope are great too.

Heavy Lies The Crown is ok, but it sounds like a really poor attempt at recreating The Blackening era.

i'm playing it again. and..........lol.......i don't see what's so bad.

Granted.....i'm just getting back into the band i'll give you that.

but being an early fan. i'm not having near the reaction you guys are, lol

Ah music, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Machine Head and Taylor Swift are the two things I am most addicted too this morning.

What a mix!

I think Red is Taylor's absolute masterpiece.

As much as I love everything she has done, she reached an innocent, youthful and exuberant level of perfection with Red free of any bitterness. I love her boldness to use her music to speak up for herself, I do find Reputation a particularly moving album that helped me a lot, but Red, especially the deluxe version, is flawless. One of the greatest pop albums I have ever heard. The more overt "pop" elements (odd to think they caused such a stir back then) really help make the experience more addictive.

Begin Again and State Of Grace are my two favourite songs.

Red is my fav swift album. and it's really not even close.

Reputation is near the bottom of the pack.

haven't had an urge to revisit it at all.

Catharsis is better, lol.

ok i'm being harsh but i find Reputation just utterly hollow.

Mick

Red is my fav swift album. and it's really not even close.

Reputation is near the bottom of the pack.

haven't had an urge to revisit it at all.

Catharsis is better, lol.

ok i'm being harsh but i find Reputation just utterly hollow.

Mick

I really adore Reputation. Her music reflects her personality every time. I think its telling that her latest album is her most bitchy and self deprecating, so maybe next time she may feel better and release less abrasive music.

I would say Reputation is possibly my third, after Red and Speak Now. I play it a lot more than I ever did 1989, but that album is flawless.

• Like 1

1. Red

2. Speak Now

3. Reputation

4. Fearless

5. 1989

6. Taylor Swift