The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

I think I'm going the opposite direction of you guys. I'm diving headfirst into hip hop this week. I've been listening to Wu Tang, Kanye, Tribe Called Quest, Kendrick, Tyler the Creator, Death Grips

interesting. i like rap/hip hop. tons more then i used to.

Mick

I think I'm going the opposite direction of you guys. I'm diving headfirst into hip hop this week. I've been listening to Wu Tang, Kanye, Tribe Called Quest, Kendrick, Tyler the Creator, Death Grips

interesting. i like rap/hip hop. tons more then i used to.

Mick

I'm more prepping to spend a lot of time with someone who only listens to this and I figured I might as well try to find stuff I like. Either that or be forced to listen to EDM for 10 hours

• Like 1

Segue, consider me a Paradise Lost fan now. I've been playing their albums regularly over the past week and now I'm obsessed. Medusa's a killer new album too.

Just noticed this!

I highly recommend the documentary Into The Madness. It is a great way to understand this band, and their evolution!

But yeah, Paradise Lost. I have been a fan since 2006, but it took my deep obsession nearly a decade to reach its full potential. I absolutely crave and idolise the work of these guys, I fail to see how such an influential and adored band are not more of a media sensation. Maybe its just me, but no band in metal comes close to Paradise Lost for emotional, cheese free anthems. I just live and breathe Paradise Lost music.

Have they ever released a bad album? No. Mediocre? No. 15 albums, and plenty of great b-sides, rarities, covers and live albums.

It comes as no surprise to me that nearly every band I loved as a kid was heavily inspired by this band. It just took me a long time to really connect with them.

Oddly, it really started with their worst reviewed album, one even the band despises: Believe In Nothing. I had avoided it for mamy years due to its reputation (having also been bewildered, but quietly in love with, Host). It was, however, a huge surprise for me. Their "weak" effort was a truly great commercial rock album, and then I started to fill in all the gaps in my PL collection and, WHOAH! I loved everything.

And then I got to Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us. My all time favourite metal album. It blew me away and took over my life. Then oddly...Symbol Of Life went from bottom of the pile to near the very top, with possibly my all time favourite song now, Pray Nightfall (easily worthy of replacing Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks).

Paradise Lost are everything I love about music. Variety, melody, heart and soul. Punishing, soothing, refreshing, aggressive, subtle, in your face. Everything. I really cannot praise them more highly.

I even LOVE their debut, Lost Paradise. Such a dark, sludgy album. The guitar tone is amazingly in your face.

Oh, and Nick Holmes is up their with Myles Kennedy and Cristina Scabbia as my favourite singer of all time. Throw in Ville Valo and Jim Morrison too.

If I rank the albums, it looks like this:

1. Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us

2. Symbol Of Life

3. Tragic Idol

4. Draconian Times

5. One Second

6. Believe In Nothing

7. Paradise Lost

8. In Requiem

9. Host

10. Medusa

11. The Plague Within

12. Icon

13. Shades Of God

14. Gothic

15. Lost Paradise

I love them all.

• Like 1

How can I forget about Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us? That one was a really excellent one. Greg Mackintosh was asked by Decibel to rank the PL albums (sans Medusa) and his ranking was as followed:

14. Believe In Nothing

13. Paradise Lost

12. Tragic Idol

11. Symbol of Life

10. Host

9. Gothic

8. One Second

7. Draconian Times

6. In Requiem

5. Lost Paradise

4. Icon

3. The Plague Within

2. Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us

1. Shades of God

I'm probably gonna revisit Draconian Times, and maybe even have a go at one of the pre-Icon albums (probably Shades of God) later this week. I think for me, Medusa and One Second were more immediate albums...that's probably one reason why PL finally clicked and I think another reason is because I wanted to return to the gothic/death/doom genre cause autumn's the time where I usually listen to that kind of stuff.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

Odd how his list is so different to mine yet i totally get why he would rate them that way.

The self titled is spectacular, i rank it as low as i do purely because we are spoiled with riches.

Albums of the year update:

1. AFI- AFI

2. Paradise Lost- Medusa

3. Fleet Foxes- Crack Up

4. Royal Thunder- Wick

5. As Lions- Selfish Age

6. Epica- The Solace System

7. Foo Fighters- Concrete And Gold

8. Mallory Knox- Wired

I am also extremely confident that this months The Sin And The Sentence from Trivium will smash its way right into my top three.

And I predict by the end of the year Medusa and Crack Up will be the top two.

This thread kinda got reborn on Facebook Messenger haha!

But awesome!

Today my fave album is Springsteen's Magic. And Taylor Swifts Red.

Lol. i honestly forgot about this thread. Segue is right in that we sorta moved it to facebook messenger.

I had been listening to trivium and it's been fantastic but it seems i've hit a wall with their album In Waves. Sorry i just don't enjoy it.

so i snapped back to some classics. like Queen Toto, Springsteen.

Mick

Lol. i honestly forgot about this thread. Segue is right in that we sorta moved it to facebook messenger.

I had been listening to trivium and it's been fantastic but it seems i've hit a wall with their album In Waves. Sorry i just don't enjoy it.

Mick

Come back to the latter albums later. I was turned off by them for years. Thwy reward repeat plays but Shogun was so good they sorta killed momentum

• Like 1

Mick

Come back to the latter albums later. I was turned off by them for years. Thwy reward repeat plays but Shogun was so good they sorta killed momentum

yea that's my plan. but yea.......they could have spilt after Shogun and i would have been like....what other choice is there, lol

but i'll come back.

Mick

Mick

yea that's my plan. but yea.......they could have spilt after Shogun and i would have been like....what other choice is there, lol

but i'll come back.

Mick

I just don't expect bands to release a masterpiece everytime. However, I do think In Waves is near flawless and one of the bands finest albums. But it took years to see it as anything but a poor follow-up to a flawless masterpiece.

But In Waves, Vengeance Falls and Silence In The Snow are three truly great melodic metal albums. Any other band in the metalcore subgenre would kill to have records like that in their discography.

Any of you ever try St. Vincent? I think I'm going to try her next

Segue, you may love this woman.

Now onto Michael Jackson. I've never actually heard an entire album from him

He's never really had a sold album IMO. they're all good. but each contain a good amount of filler

i'd start with Bad and Thriller

Mick

• Like 1

Any of you ever try St. Vincent? I think I'm going to try her next

Segue, you may love this woman.

Now onto Michael Jackson. I've never actually heard an entire album from him

He's never really had a sold album IMO. they're all good. but each contain a good amount of filler

i'd start with Bad and Thriller

Mick

So far Speed Demon is pretty meh

• Like 1