The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

James Elefante was a good lead singer too.

their 80's stuff was ok......but their 70's was gold all around.

Steve Walsh in his prime is a strong contender for best 70's frontman ever.

with Freddie neck and neck.

Mick

• Like 1

I love Kansas. Kansas are probably my favourite band of that era, and I would like to revisit them today!
  • Like 2

I know it is sacrilege but I just adore the Drastic Measures album.
  • Like 1

Also I am surprised massively by how much I still LOVE early U2, and my enjoyment of bands like Foo Fighters and recent Linkin Park has taken me aback. Loving all these bands.

I am really loving music again. Like properly loving music, both thw nostalgic bands I grew up with as well as more recent discoveries.

And the truth is, I have finally reached a point where I truly have no shame in what I listen too. If someone caught me playing a Little Mix album I would gush over their vocal harmonies as much as I would the heart of darkness and menace found within the likes of a Satyricon or Celtic Frost album.

I just have had a truly painful year. So incredibly painful. And music, in every way, shape, or form, has sustained me.

Alice In Chains, The Wkend, Paradise Lost, Little Mix, Biffy Clyro, Pearl Jam, Fleetwood Mac...all these acts and many more bring me joy.

I really do not care anymore.

Its amazing!

• Like 5

I know it is sacrilege but I just adore the Drastic Measures album.

it's not bad. i like 80's Kansas. little generic. but not bad.

i actually really like the power album out of all the 80's releases.

Mick

Also I am surprised massively by how much I still LOVE early U2, and my enjoyment of bands like Foo Fighters and recent Linkin Park has taken me aback. Loving all these bands.

I am really loving music again. Like properly loving music, both thw nostalgic bands I grew up with as well as more recent discoveries.

And the truth is, I have finally reached a point where I truly have no shame in what I listen too. If someone caught me playing a Little Mix album I would gush over their vocal harmonies as much as I would the heart of darkness and menace found within the likes of a Satyricon or Celtic Frost album.

I just have had a truly painful year. So incredibly painful. And music, in every way, shape, or form, has sustained me.

Alice In Chains, The Wkend, Paradise Lost, Little Mix, Biffy Clyro, Pearl Jam, Fleetwood Mac...all these acts and many more bring me joy.

I really do not care anymore.

Its amazing!

I LOVE the Weeknd. no shame here.

Mick

Top five albums of the year to date:

1. AFI- AFI ("The Blood Album")

2. Paradise Lost- Medusa

3. Royal Thunder- Wick

4. Fleet Foxes- Crack Up

5. As Lions- Selfish Age

Absolutely love 2017!

Bored.

Gonna rank Triviums albums:

7. The Crusade (Too pedestrian, third albums lacks the fire that set the metal world aflame with Ascendancy the year prior. A handful of great songs, plenty of foolish filler. Ascendancy sounded like it came from the Gods. The Crusade sounded like eighties metal idol worship. Which it likely was. Ignition is my favourite song). 5/10

6. Vengeance Falls (A strong, melodic metal album, but oddly for a band that was making waves forging their own sound, they chose to work with David Draiman of Disturbed and thw result was...a bland but acceptable commercial hit.) 6/10

5. Ember To Inferno (The band was still in school and the fire here is insane. In Flames, Metallica, Iron Maiden and black metal influences abound and its a strikingly assured, if not always stellar, debut. Pillar Of Serpents is a classic.) /

7/10

4. Silence In The Snow (For the first time since The Crusade, Trivium ditch the screams. Only this time the results are terrific! Everything about this album shines, and whilst it lacks a true killer Trivium anthem, it makes up for with tremendous skill and stunning vocals.) (9/10)

3. Shogun (One of my all time favourite metal albums, this is a proggier, boldly epic metal album that I am sire was the bands intense reaction to the backlash they received from the pitiful Crusade. Absolutely stunning. Kirisute Gomen is one of the finest songs in 21st Century metal). 10/10

2. In Waves (The title track is probably the bands most famous song, and to be fair, the rest of the album matches it for melodic flair and it is HUGE. Truly fun and a really heavy affair.)

1. Ascendancy (For my money the greatest American metal album of all time. I do not care what anyone thinks, Ascendancy was for many kids in 2005/06 a major gateway to the world of extreme metal, as well as being in itself a masterful, extremely palatable collection of essentially the bands greatest hits. Every song is an anthem. The ballad Dying In Your Arms is a beautiful track, whilst the searing and aggressive Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr, A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation and the enormous choruses of Like Light To Flies ensured that, if they never again achieved anything close to the greatness of this effort, their place in the history books would remain intact. This was a state of the art metal classic and back in 2005, it was instantly lauded and few disputed this fact.) 10/10

Edited by Segue Myles

1. The Beatles

2. Pink Floyd

3. Queen

4. Spock's Beard

5. Kansas

6. Enchant

7. Steely Dan

8. Toto

9. Jimmy Eat World

10. Neal Morse Band

My Tastes i realized are more to the classics or are rooted in the classic sound. I can't really say goth metal has made a lasting impression on me. and ditto emo. with the exeption of Jimmy. the classics won out, lol

Mick

The guys in Enchant are really cool and I like their music. We did a gig with them a few years back.

• Like 1

I won't deny it:

Really into Kansas and Rush! Need a break from intense metal.

I won't deny it:

Really into Kansas and Rush! Need a break from intense metal.

I have been listening to Kansas a bit lately. Always thought they were very solid with a lot of solid "non-radio hit" songs.

Just my opinion, but for me best of all the prog/aor bands. Although I have more than just a little soft spot for Foreigner and Toto.

I have been away the past couple days. but i always bring my Ipod. the only things in rotation for me has been classic 70's 80s rock/prog/AOR./pop. or bands rooted in those sounds

I've had little use for like any metal lately.

so i'm talking

Kansas

Genesis

Foreigner

Toto

Spock's

Yes

Rush (finally, lol)

Cheap Trick

Porcupine Tree

Queen

Boston

James Taylor

REM

Enchant

No use for modern genres at the moment

Honestly......that partial list is why i'm a music fan.

Mick

Good list!

I made a few smart playlists last week to add to my mess of music on my phone. One of them is an all-60s playlist, the other is called 1965-72. For each I had iTunes randomly pick 750 to 1000 songs. so I'm getting stuff I haven't heard in years.

• Like 1

i can't stop my Kansas binge.

How these guys were never in my firm favs before was an oversight.

Mick

I got really into Kansas after seeing them in 2000.

Before that, I only had Point of Know Return and an old Best Of. Seeing them live changed that.

There's so much good stuff on their first 5-6 albums. Monolith is really underrated.

i can't stop my Kansas binge.

How these guys were never in my firm favs before was an oversight.

Mick

I got really into Kansas after seeing them in 2000.

Before that, I only had Point of Know Return and an old Best Of. Seeing them live changed that.

There's so much good stuff on their first 5-6 albums. Monolith is really underrated.

Funny thing you Mentioned Monolith.

Every loves Point of Know Return. I'm in the minority in that i think it's still good. but i think it's a bit of a let down after Leftoverture.

I thought Monolith brought it WAY back.

if i had to rank the classic 6 it would be.

1. Masque

2. Leftoverture

3. Song for America

4. Kansas

5. Monolith

6. Point of Know Return

Mick

• Like 1

I find Monolith quite low on my list.

I'd rank Audio-Visions and Drastic Measures well above it!

My top three:

1. Leftoverture

2. Kansas

3. Point

Also really hoping I can connect with Hemispheres and Signals this time around! Everytime I have returned to Rush in the past, a little enjoyed effort became a favourite.

Roll The Bones recently, Vapor Trails not long before, and between these two Fly By Night.

I am playing Trivium now. But I still love knowing that I am in the mood for prog amd AOR again. I get a lot of joy from these bands!

• Like 1

Also really hoping I can connect with Hemispheres and Signals this time around! Everytime I have returned to Rush in the past, a little enjoyed effort became a favourite.

Roll The Bones recently, Vapor Trails not long before, and between these two Fly By Night.

I am playing Trivium now. But I still love knowing that I am in the mood for prog amd AOR again. I get a lot of joy from these bands!

I really enjoyed coming back full on to AOR and prog.

That's why Kansas is working for me right now their basically both, lol

loved hearing Presto and HYF again.

Mick

• Like 1