The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Playing Panopticon for the first time in years.

Oh my I've missed this.

Panopticon is my favorite Isis album. Oceanic is considered the modern "classic" post-metal album and I know many think it's their best album but IDK, I think Panopticon was Isis at their absolute peak. Everything on that album IMO flows perfectly together like an hour long track with 7 sections.

I have strong emotional bias towards the band when I say this but I honestly think they've never put out a single bad album...rather I think they never made an album I rate lower than a 4/5. I actually think it's a good thing that they broke up and it's not because of their now unfortunate name. They put of what I thought were five of the greatest post-metal albums that needed to be made and the fact that they broke up young and before they had chance to ruin all they had done with one bad/average/mediocre/etc. album is what cemented their place as a beloved band for many. I'd cautiously welcome a one off reunion tour, but I never want them to reform and make another album unless they felt they could make something worthy of their predecessors.

Edited by PolarizeMe

It saddens me that I doubt they could get away with a reunion with that name now.

It saddens me that I doubt they could get away with a reunion with that name now.

Yeah...especially when a "major" news source like ABC reports on it...

At least they can still get away with the odd posthumous release, reissue, etc...there's a live album coming out at the end of next month.

Edited by PolarizeMe

I just finished Winter's Gate. Man, that was awesome. Structurally, it reminded me a lot of Edge of Sanity's Crimson at times (the single 40 minute track album being the most obvious) yet it felt fresh and they totally made the concept their own. :haz: :haz:

Now onto that Amenra album...it's 40 minutes so I can squeeze it in before the Oscars begin.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

I can't remember which album was my favourite but what I do know is is that whenever I think of Isis I think of Panopticon. Listening to it tonight after quite a long time (I'm thinking...2008?) was a great experience.

I have forgotten how much I love this style. I enjoyed another band as well. Pelican. Also Mono and Explosions In The Sky

I just finished Winter's Gate. Man, that was awesome. Structurally, it reminded me a lot of Edge of Sanity's Crimson at times (the single 40 minute track album being the most obvious) yet it felt fresh and they totally made the concept their own. :haz: :haz:

Now onto that Amenra album...it's 40 minutes so I can squeeze it in before the Oscars begin.

I'm sure glad you enjoyed it! Everything this band has released s a classic. I mean EVERYTHING

I can't remember which album was my favourite but what I do know is is that whenever I think of Isis I think of Panopticon. Listening to it tonight after quite a long time (I'm thinking...2008?) was a great experience.

I have forgotten how much I love this style. I enjoyed another band as well. Pelican. Also Mono and Explosions In The Sky

Damn...IDK how many times I've played Panopticon after I first started listening to them...I think I must be at like 60+ times at this point. Pelican I like a lot, especially their Australasia and What We All Come To Need albums. I have an Explosions In The Sky album (I can't remember which one atm) but haven't heard anything else from them aside that one album. Hymn To Immortal Wind is great and I liked The Last Dawn and Ray Of Darkness but I think Mono is a bit samey at times...

I'm sure glad you enjoyed it! Everything this band has released s a classic. I mean EVERYTHING

I think I was only on Part II when I immediately added Shadows Of The Dying Sun and One For Sorrow onto my Spotify. That's how much I enjoyed it.

Damn...IDK how many times I've played Panopticon after I first started listening to them...I think I must be at like 60+ times at this point. Pelican I like a lot, especially their Australasia and What We All Come To Need albums. I have an Explosions In The Sky album (I can't remember which one atm) but haven't heard anything else from them aside that one album. Hymn To Immortal Wind is great and I liked The Last Dawn and Ray Of Darkness but I think Mono is a bit samey at times...

I don't really feel drawn to replay any Mono so I think I agree!

But yeah Pelican and Explosions were amazing to my ears...must get back to them!

I think I was only on Part II when I immediately added Shadows Of The Dying Sun and One For Sorrow onto my Spotify. That's how much I enjoyed it.

Excellent! The CD version of Winter's Gate is one track. It's only split up on streaming formats!

Shadows is better

Gad to bump this.

I know Segue is still discovering this Band.

but POS rankings

and Scores

1. The Perfect Element-10/10

2. Remedy Lane-10/10

3. One Hour by the Concrete Lake-9/10

4. Scarsick-9/10

5. Entropia-8/10

6. Road Salt one-7/10

7. Road Salt Two-7/10

8 BE-5/10

Have not heard the recent 2. but as you can see i generally prefer early POS. Meaning the first 4

but Scarsick is great too.

Mick

• Like 1

Gad to bump this.

I know Segue is still discovering this Band.

but POS rankings

and Scores

1. The Perfect Element-10/10

2. Remedy Lane-10/10

3. One Hour by the Concrete Lake-9/10

4. Scarsick-9/10

5. Entropia-8/10

6. Road Salt one-7/10

7. Road Salt Two-7/10

8 BE-5/10

Have not heard the recent 2. but as you can see i generally prefer early POS. Meaning the first 4

but Scarsick is great too.

Mick

Too early for me but awesome! I'm gonna go slowly with this band. The music has so much depth and emotion I don't think I can easily marathon this band haha

• Like 1

Top ten bands right now:

1. Fatherson

2. Bear's Den

3. Mallory Knox

4. Paradise Lost

5. Jesus And Mary Chain

6. Idlewild

7. Young Guns

8. As Lions

9. Lacuna Coil

10. Lonely The Brave

Where the hell is Nightwish?

Of the moment not all time haha

They are still top three! (Probably one)

Bored.

Been replaying all the albums recently I've considered top ten all time.

So far:

Dark Passion Play- Nightwish

Fleetwood Mac- Tusk

Paradise Lost- Faith Divides Us

Lacuna Coil- Unleashed Memories

Lacuna Coil- Karmacode

I see no disputing of these: still top ten and they just take me to another place.

The final five I want to revisit ASAP:

Yes- Tales From Topographic Oceans

Nightwish- Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Khoma- The Second Wave

Bruce Springsteen- The River

The Juliana Theory- Love

I'm not playing these in any order haha

• Like 1

i want to revisit Tusk out of that list.

That is a great Record.

I played Rumours the other day. they were a great little band weren't they?

Mick

Definitely. I love Buckingham Nicks as well.

I think it's fair to say these ten albums are my life haha but I refuse to limit a list of my favourites to just ten.

• Like 1

Glad you gave Toto a spin again.......they are always welcome in my home, lol

Mick

I love them! Its been a while as, lets face it, i played them to death.

But when feeling depressed, they funnily enough hit the same spot as Nightwish and The Mac.

Back in 2011 and 2012, these three bands I played together all the time. Tusk, Toto and Dark Passion Play mentally in my mind need to be played together. They were like my go too albums/bands for a short period.

Today was a throwback. Lol! With HIM and Paradise Lost thrown into my day alongside an old cartoon favourite, i had a proper comfy day haha

You two love pop music. Try this:

I love this. i love the horns on it.

you rarely hear horns these days. Catchy as hell too.

Mick

I loved it too

• Like 2

Guys Tom Petty might be the best thing I've ever heard
  • Like 1

You two love pop music. Try this:

I love this. i love the horns on it.

you rarely hear horns these days. Catchy as hell too.

Mick

I loved it too

:D

That's a new one off of a new album they have coming out in May. They did an album a couple years ago that was also really catchy and well-written (horns are there too). I hope you check it out!

I'm just so excited over the new album and the new songs, I can't wait!