The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

First time listen today - what a GREAT album!!!

Gojira_magma_artwork.jpg

I liked this album a lot! Buuuuut...nothing they have done matches From Mars To Sirius from 2006...Gojira are amazing though. Alter Bridge took everyone by susprise when they invited them to support them in the UK! They are huge Gojira fans.

I actually haven't listened to this album...but I've heard mixed things about it. Some say it's their best, the rest say it's their worst. I can't say I'm a fan, but I liked a few of their albums. Excellent at their craft, I'll give them that.

I saw them co-headline with Mastodon with Kvlertak supporting almost 3 years ago come next year and to this day I matain it to be the show that forced me to wear earplugs at shows; no exceptions...it was that loud that I had ringing in my ears for a few days that they haven't completely fully recovered (it's fine but I hear very subtle ringing in silent places). All bands were tight that night especially Gojira...I've never heard such excellent drum sounds for a metal band live as good as Gojira's drummer.

I'll look at giving it a listen in the next few days. For better or worse, there's still a few albums released this year I've yet to listen to...

I've never seen them live but otherwise you've summed up pretty much all my feelings on this band

It was just dumb luck that I even saw them live...I was there for Mastodon cause I was heavily into them at the time (still love them, but there's other bands that I discovered after them that I'm more into now). You mentioned From Mars To Sirius...that one I really liked, I also remembered liking L'Enfant Sauvage and while I can't remember much of The Way Of All Flesh, there's a song on the latter album called "Toxic Garbage Island" that I really loved.

Gojira_magma_artwork.jpg

I liked this album a lot! Buuuuut...nothing they have done matches From Mars To Sirius from 2006...Gojira are amazing though. Alter Bridge took everyone by susprise when they invited them to support them in the UK! They are huge Gojira fans.

I actually haven't listened to this album...but I've heard mixed things about it. Some say it's their best, the rest say it's their worst. I can't say I'm a fan, but I liked a few of their albums. Excellent at their craft, I'll give them that.

I saw them co-headline with Mastodon with Kvlertak supporting almost 3 years ago come next year and to this day I matain it to be the show that forced me to wear earplugs at shows; no exceptions...it was that loud that I had ringing in my ears for a few days that they haven't completely fully recovered (it's fine but I hear very subtle ringing in silent places). All bands were tight that night especially Gojira...I've never heard such excellent drum sounds for a metal band live as good as Gojira's drummer.

I'll look at giving it a listen in the next few days. For better or worse, there's still a few albums released this year I've yet to listen to...

I've never seen them live but otherwise you've summed up pretty much all my feelings on this band

It was just dumb luck that I even saw them live...I was there for Mastodon cause I was heavily into them at the time (still love them, but there's other bands that I discovered after them that I'm more into now). You mentioned From Mars To Sirius...that one I really liked, I also remembered liking L'Enfant Sauvage and while I can't remember much of The Way Of All Flesh, there's a song on the latter album called "Toxic Garbage Island" that I really loved.

I want to listen to them now haha!

Yeah...Mastodon will always be special to me but Crack The Skye was a departure from the style I fell in love with (Leviathan and Remission I heard about four years before and still adore). After CTS I really am just meh to everything. I don't get their regression into that mainstream style...they are one band that changed too much for me. Opeth are another.

Still respect both and don't knock the changes! I just don't like the recent stuff...

Gojira_magma_artwork.jpg

Yeah...Mastodon will always be special to me but Crack The Skye was a departure from the style I fell in love with (Leviathan and Remission I heard about four years before and still adore). After CTS I really am just meh to everything. I don't get their regression into that mainstream style...they are one band that changed too much for me. Opeth are another.

Still respect both and don't knock the changes! I just don't like the recent stuff...

I guess since you like From Mars To Sirius, I'd check out either of the two albums that came after it...there's the "Toxic Garbage Island" song that I just love which I'll link here so that's a start:

I'd like to agree to disagree about Crack The Skye cause that's my favorite Mastodon album, hahaha. And I'm more bummed about them not exploring that sound one last time before moving on to their Hunter and Once More Around The Sun sound than I am about them shifting to the style of those latter two albums. Weirdly enough, Blood Mountain is probably my least listened to Mastodon album which is very weird considering most of the songs on the album is the best in their pre-CTS sound.

Gojira_magma_artwork.jpg

I guess since you like From Mars To Sirius, I'd check out either of the two albums that came after it...there's the "Toxic Garbage Island" song that I just love which I'll link here so that's a start:

I'd like to agree to disagree about Crack The Skye cause that's my favorite Mastodon album, hahaha. And I'm more bummed about them not exploring that sound one last time before moving on to their Hunter and Once More Around The Sun sound than I am about them shifting to the style of those latter two albums. Weirdly enough, Blood Mountain is probably my least listened to Mastodon album which is very weird considering most of the songs on the album is the best in their pre-CTS sound.

I love Crack The Skye. If anything I agree with you! They should have kept pursuing that style, and what came before...instead I feel they just tried to write more commercial stuff. It was a jarring, unnatural change of gears if you ask me.

Remission through to CTS is a pretty flawless run of albums if you ask me

I love Crack The Skye. If anything I agree with you! They should have kept pursuing that style, and what came before...instead I feel they just tried to write more commercial stuff. It was a jarring, unnatural change of gears if you ask me.

Remission through to CTS is a pretty flawless run of albums if you ask me

I do feel hopeful that the next Mastodon album is a return of sorts to the Mastodon I fell in love with. I think the next album will be a sort of happy marriage between The Hunter/Once More Around The Sun formula meets the Crack The Skye concept and execution because the band have stated that it's going to be "desert like version of The Grim Reaper" and they brought back the guy who produced CTS even. Brann has even said the album is about "Time".

Well, I finally listened to Magma. Good record, great musicianship and I love that whammy effect going on in the song "Stranded" and I like how it's a shorter but more impactful album by Gojira's standards, but I still think it has its flaws...most notably the "clean" vocals on the album which I think is the weakest link of the album. They get better by the halfway point in the album but still...those clean vocals on the first two tracks have a lot to be desired and I normally dig a band who can pull off clean vocals with heavy music (i.e. Katatonia and Mastodon). I think the band's charm that makes them unique is Joe Duplanter's vocal style which sounds like a cross between normal singing and screaming/shouting...it's like I can hear notes being sung while at the same time having that gnarly bark I hear in shouted vocals so...if this is the route they go from here on, I just wish the clean vocals improve on the next album. I'll keep Magma in my library for future listens cause there's some stuff there I can come back to and enjoy but still...not a "fan" just yet.

My music tastes have being limited to hitting the Neal Morse sauce hard, lol.

and plus i just got sick so........lol.

Oh Dark side of the moon is AWESOME on cough syrup, lol

Mick

Haha. Hit the sizzurp with some DSOTM. Wakajawaka

Reminds me of the time I watched Fear and Loathing on vicodin and IPA.

• Like 1

FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD 2017!

Mick I am full on embracing winter once again with my live of Gothic metal. Paradise Lost is my winter bae!

What are you into at the moment?

And thanks for trying Grey. I know where you are coming from but it doesn't affect how much the music and lyrics mean to me.

Mick I am full on embracing winter once again with my live of Gothic metal. Paradise Lost is my winter bae!

And thanks for trying Grey. I know where you are coming from but it doesn't affect how much the music and lyrics mean to me.

i don't want you to think i was putting the band down. when i review something i try to be honest. i know had i been in the goth metal mode i probably would have loved it.

I'm still into like modern prog right now for the most part......and thanks to these polls i've re-discovered Queensryche and Symphony X

Mick

I´m listening to Queen´s The Mircle now. I don´t understand the criticism over this album when it came out. It´s as good an albums as they could have released at the time, full of catchy tunes.
  • Like 2

I´m listening to Queen´s The Mircle now. I don´t understand the criticism over this album when it came out. It´s as good an albums as they could have released at the time, full of catchy tunes.

it's better than A Kind of Magic.

80's Queen is rough for me. i only really enjoy 2 records from that period. The Game and the Works.

Mick

• Like 1

i don't want you to think i was putting the band down. when i review something i try to be honest. i know had i been in the goth metal mode i probably would have loved it.

I'm still into like modern prog right now for the most part......and thanks to these polls i've re-discovered Queensryche and Symphony X

Mick

I don't think grey are Goth but I have noticed a certain gothy vibe. Grey have a nineties alt metal vibe that I love. I just click. Can't explain it.

• Like 1

Best Queen 80s album, IMO. Easily in my top 5 Queen albums. Innuendo falls just short of matching it. The way I see it, they roughly got better and better from The Game through The Miracle, though I do prefer The Game to Hot Space. Ditching touring really helped them in studio.

• Like 1

80's Queen is rough for me. i only really enjoy 2 records from that period. The Game and the Works.

Mick

How long has it been since you went back over those records again?

Mick

How long has it been since you went back over those records again?

about a year maybe less

I like the singles from the 80's......but to me that stopped being about the album.......and as such the 80's stuff do not work as albums for me.

with the exceptiions i mentioned.

Mick

My current favourite bands:

1. Paradise Lost

2. AFI

3. In Flames

4. Sonata Arctica

5. Lacuna Coil

6. Grey

Every time I come back to Paradise Lost I love them even more.

Not surprising when you stop and consider that they were the main inspiration for tonnes of my very favourite bands.

I re-Discoverd Tom Petty thanks to that poll. and i think his music is just what i need.

I never really seem to remember how good he is.

also AFI's Crash Love is been a regular album for me recently.......that may be my fav of theirs.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1