The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

i'm coming around to Coheed. I played the first 2 albums again yesterday. i know there's a long ass story that spans many albums but i really don't care about it, lol

Anyway. i'm connected more with their rich melodic Sense more then anything.

Claudio is slowly working his way into my Affections too.

out of the albums i've heard which is the 1st 4 plus the new one. i like In keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 the best.

followed ever so closely by Good Apollo i'm Burning Star IV, Vol 1.

whew......these titles though, lol

so.....progress mr Not!!!

Mick

Nice, glad to hear :D

The album titles just scrape the surface of how complicated and confusing the story of Coheed and Cambria is. With the exception of their latest one, every Coheed and Cambria album and their containing songs are in accordance to the story of the comic book series Claudio writes, "The Amory Wars".

http://images.comiccollectorlive.com/covers/cc0/cc026938-11d1-4789-b834-89467ac28c1e.jpg

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

I also really recommend checking out some live performances by Coheed - amazing live band. They released a 'Neverender' DVD box set which is of four consecutive performances. During each night, they perform an album in full, and they go in chronological order. Night I - Second Stage Turbine Blade, Night II - In Keeping Secrets, etc.

No World For Tomorrow was their latest album at the time.

http://youtu.be/K7NKQ1Uhfrg

Also, check out their earlier DVD / Live CD "Live At The Starland Ballroom". They have the songs available individually on Youtube, but be careful because many of them are titled with the incorrect song.. For example, "Devil In Jersey City" is actually a clip of them playing "The Crowing" (which is probably my absolute favorite Coheed song)

• Like 1

I also really recommend checking out some live performances by Coheed - amazing live band. They released a 'Neverender' DVD box set which is of four consecutive performances. During each night, they perform an album in full, and they go in chronological order. Night I - Second Stage Turbine Blade, Night II - In Keeping Secrets, etc.

No World For Tomorrow was their latest album at the time.

http://youtu.be/K7NKQ1Uhfrg

Also, check out their earlier DVD / Live CD "Live At The Starland Ballroom". They have the songs available individually on Youtube, but be careful because many of them are titled with the incorrect song.. For example, "Devil In Jersey City" is actually a clip of them playing "The Crowing" (which is probably my absolute favorite Coheed song)

http://youtu.be/3S914zDQJXw

ohhh i will watch these.

Yea i never much pay attention to stories in music, lol

i just come for the tunes.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Days Of Grays:

1. No Dream Can Heal A Broken Heart

2. Everything Fades To Gray (full version)

3. Zeroes

Stones Grow Her Name:

1. I Have A Right

2. The Day

3. Alone In Heaven

The Day is gorgeous.. "I write these lines alone, on the rooftop of my home"

Long before they released this song, I would love to sit on top of my roof and watch the clouds and enjoy the view of the town's trees, birds, etc.. All while listening typically listening to Sonata.

Everything Fades To Gray (full) is totally overlooked. They played a bit of it live as a finale during their supporting TDoG tour, but they should bring it back and play it in full.

Days Of Grays:

1. No Dream Can Heal A Broken Heart

2. Everything Fades To Gray (full version)

3. Zeroes

Stones Grow Her Name:

1. I Have A Right

2. The Day

3. Alone In Heaven

The Day is gorgeous.. "I write these lines alone, on the rooftop of my home"

Long before they released this song, I would love to sit on top of my roof and watch the clouds and enjoy the view of the town's trees, birds, etc.. All while listening typically listening to Sonata.

Everything Fades To Gray (full) is totally overlooked. They played a bit of it live as a finale during their supporting TDoG tour, but they should bring it back and play it in full.

Everything Fades To Gray is actually number one...oops I listed them wrong!

Haha I haven't a single song on any of these albums that I'd like to skip.

Aside from Closure of the new album. EUGH

From Ty Tabor's Facebook:

These days we could all use an infusion of something good.. Nick Drake makes me feel hopeful. He is long gone but I am thankful for all he left us. If you are not familiar with his album "Pink Moon" then do yourself a favor and check it out. There is an entire orchestra in his mind and you can envision it within his understated recordings.

My top five albums this year:

1. Thrice- To Be Everywhere Is To Be Nowhere (10/10)

2. Alter Bridge- The Last Hero (9/10)

3. Jimmy Eat World- Integrity Blues (currently 8/10-early days!!)

4. Sonata Arctica- The Ninth Hour (8/10)

5. Tremonti- Dust (8/10)

Lacuna Coil, Epica and The Temperance Movement come close but I'm not sure they stand out much in the long run (although I am not slating Epica...I predict a major conversion to them soon!).

What albums stand out for you guys?

hmmmm

my top 5

1. Radiohead-A Moon Shaped Pool (9/10)

2. Jimmy Eat World- Integrity Blues (8/10- could go higher soon

3. Kansas-Prelude Implicit (10/10)

4. Alter Bridge-The Last Hero (9/10

5. Elton John- Wonderful Crazy Night (9/10

a couple in common Segue

I'm floored 2 of mine are retro artist at this stage, lol

Mick

1. The Jelly Jam - Profit

2. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

3. Almah - E.V.O.

4. Haken - Affinity

5. Sonata Arctica - The Ninth Hour

Even though I rate other albums from this year higher than Sonata's Ninth Hour, the strong points of The Ninth Hour are very strong, so I'll let it have a spot in the top 5 anyway :)

hmmmm

my top 5

1. Radiohead-A Moon Shaped Pool (9/10)

2. Jimmy Eat World- Integrity Blues (8/10- could go higher soon

3. Kansas-Prelude Implicit (10/10)

4. Alter Bridge-The Last Hero (9/10

5. Elton John- Wonderful Crazy Night (9/10

a couple in common Segue

I'm floored 2 of mine are retro artist at this stage, lol

Mick

I forgot about Radiohead. I enjoyed that!

• Like 1

Segue i've been revisiting Thrice. i'll be honest as a whole their just ok for me. but.........Vheissu and the whole Alchemy index astound me. to of my fav albums now.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Segue i've been revisiting Thrice. i'll be honest as a whole their just ok for me. but.........Vheissu and the whole Alchemy index astound me. to of my fav albums now.

Mick

That's fine. I love it all but those first three albums are less Thrice and more great examples of a sound that was quite generic around that time. Vheissu is where they found their own style. And everything after has been great!

I would say though that Beggars and Major/Minor don't quite hit all the right notes. The new album, however, is the sound of those two brought to full realisation.

I know I get heated about Thrice. But like Radiohead you'd be foolish to think you know all about them based on one or two songs.

BTW Radiohead are growing on me. I put them in in the background sometimes to try and get a sense of them. It's working...I'm finding them more and more alluring.

I will when I have the time and the desire seek out full albums and listen intently. I really enjoyed the latest.

• Like 1

Mick

That's fine. I love it all but those first three albums are less Thrice and more great examples of a sound that was quite generic around that time. Vheissu is where they found their own style. And everything after has been great!

I would say though that Beggars and Major/Minor don't quite hit all the right notes. The new album, however, is the sound of those two brought to full realisation.

I know I get heated about Thrice. But like Radiohead you'd be foolish to think you know all about them based on one or two songs.

BTW Radiohead are growing on me. I put them in in the background sometimes to try and get a sense of them. It's working...I'm finding them more and more alluring.

I will when I have the time and the desire seek out full albums and listen intently. I really enjoyed the latest.

Radiohead took me years to warm to. never saw why people were raving over them. then I played Kid A on headphones in the dark and bam.

it was like i suddenlt understood their "language"

funny like you said of thrice. to me Radioheads first 3 records are nothing special to me.

yes including OK Computer. never warmed to it fully.

Mick

I think the first three Thrice albums are special. Especially The Artist In The Ambulance, which I would accept an argument for being their best work.

Every release they forged more and more of a personal identity. They stood out above most other bands of that style with Illusion Of Safety. Artist transformed them into heavyweights.

The left field turn they took with Vheissu was special. Since then they have just been wonderful.

• Like 1

I first tried getting into Radiohead in 2011, wanted to hear more stuff like Creep... Naturally then I started with Pablo Honey, and boy that was a mistake..

Didn't listen to them again at all until 2014 when Sean, (substancewithoutstyle previously, now 'homesickalien') shared the subterranean homesick alien song by them. I listened to OK Computer soon afterwards, and now today I consider them my absolute favorite band

• Like 2

As for The Fall Of Troy's Doppelganger album which I just listened to earlier today, I really liked the songs "I Just Got This Symphony Goin'" and "Whacko Jacko Steals The Elephant Man's Bones", Whacko Jacko being absolutely amazing.

I also recall hearing FCPREMIX a few times before in different places, which is no surprise since it seems to be their hit song. It's OK.

I first tried getting into Radiohead in 2011, wanted to hear more stuff like Creep... Naturally then I started with Pablo Honey, and boy that was a mistake..

Didn't listen to them again at all until 2014 when Sean, (substancewithoutstyle previously, now 'homesickalien') shared the subterranean homesick alien song by them. I listened to OK Computer soon afterwards, and now today I consider them my absolute favorite band

I've tried many times to get into Radiohead...first attempt was in Q4 2012/Q1 2013 during freshman year when I was still dorming and I killed plenty of non-dorming time at the school library's CD section hoping to find every band they had CDs of that'll "WOW" me. I started off with OK Computer...I couldn't remember it but for some reason I kept it in my iTunes this entire time (in case the time finally came that I can appreciate and enjoy the band).

The second attempt occurred in late 2014 with Kid A...and while this one I liked much more upon first listen, I relapsed into indifference towards the band. Fast forward to last month and for better or for worse, you played a big part into giving Radiohead a third chance and this time it finally paid off. I haven't listened to them since the end of September, but I'm really itching to get back into Radiohead mode with either giving Hail To The Thief, In Rainbows or the new album a listen.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

As for my top 5, I don't have a ranking yet, but these 5 are the ones that I enjoyed most this year for sure.

Alcest - Kodama

Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts

Kayo Dot - Plastic House On Base Of Sky

Neurosis - Fires Within Fires

Sumac - What One Becomes

Pretty much music that caters to the least common "PolarizeMe" denominator :LOL:

How about top 10 songs of 2016 so far?

I'm going to force myself not to choose the same artist twice while doing my list, that way there's more variety represented.. My top 10 would pretty much be entirely The Jelly Jam and Radiohead songs otherwise :D

1. The Jelly Jam - Stain on the Sun

2. Radiohead - Daydreaming (my favorite song from A Moon Shaped Pool is actually 'True Love Waits', but since that song is over two decades old I won't count it on the top 10 of 2016 list..)

3. Sonata Arctica - Closer To An Animal

4. Almah - Capital Punishment

5. Vektor - Charging The Void

6. Dream Theater - The Gift of Music

7. Dir En Grey - Utafumi

8. Haken - Initiate

9. Knifeworld - The Germ Inside

0. Trick or Treat - Cloudrider (I've only been listening to Trick or Treat for about a month now, so they might rise up in the ranks as I continue listening to them)

Edited by Mr. Not

Sent this message to a Sonata fan girl who told me that people are going crazy over The Ninth Hour, thinking it's one of Sonata's best... Both "old school and faithful fans" are praising the album according to her... I can see how that might be the case in whatever facebook fan clubs she's in, but in the world of RateYourMusic, the album's doing poorly. I'll copy my needlessly long response to her here in this thread, since it might be of interest:

It's not like popular opinion has any sort of influence on whether I like something or not anyway... But I don't see many listeners or even fans giving this album much praise. The overwhelming response seems to just be "meh". The rating distribution reflects that sentiment, too (I edited together a botched little image showing this). It's the second lowest album, the lowest being SGHN. It's technically a bit higher ranked than Unia, but it's gotten much less ratings, and you've got to keep in mind that a lot of people jumped ship when Unia came out and never looked back, so I like to discount most (not all) of the very lower 0.5/5 or 1/5 ratings as power metal purists were being bitter and close minded... This would put the album up to about an ~3.20 avg. Since many of these fans jumped ship at Unia, they're not here to rate down the proceeding albums, TDoG - Ninth Hour, so Unia definitely has an unfairly low score due to a conditional bias.

http://i.imgur.com/ZAX7bpZ.png

^ stats from rate your music, scale of 1-5.

Also, the red curve show that TNH has been the worst received as far as median score goes, reinforcing my belief that this album isn't controversial and divisive, but merely a "meh" effort.

How about top 10 songs of 2016 so far?

I'm going to force myself not to choose the same artist twice while doing my list, that way there's more variety represented.. My top 10 would pretty much be entirely The Jelly Jam and Radiohead songs otherwise :D

1. The Jelly Jam - Stain on the Sun

2. Radiohead - Daydreaming (my favorite song from A Moon Shaped Pool is actually 'True Love Waits', but since that song is over two decades old I won't count it on the top 10 of 2016 list..)

3. Sonata Arctica - Closer To An Animal

4. Almah - Capital Punishment

5. Vektor - Charging The Void

6. Dream Theater - The Gift of Music

7. Dir En Grey - Utafumi

8. Haken - Initiate

9. Knifeworld - The Germ Inside

0. Trick or Treat - Cloudrider (I've only been listening to Trick or Treat for about a month now, so they might rise up in the ranks as I continue listening to them)

IDK why I'm surprised that made your top 10, but it surprises me. :LOL:

Sent this message to a Sonata fan girl who told me that people are going crazy over The Ninth Hour, thinking it's one of Sonata's best... Both "old school and faithful fans" are praising the album according to her... I can see how that might be the case in whatever facebook fan clubs she's in, but in the world of RateYourMusic, the album's doing poorly. I'll copy my needlessly long response to her here in this thread, since it might be of interest:

It's not like popular opinion has any sort of influence on whether I like something or not anyway... But I don't see many listeners or even fans giving this album much praise. The overwhelming response seems to just be "meh". The rating distribution reflects that sentiment, too (I edited together a botched little image showing this). It's the second lowest album, the lowest being SGHN. It's technically a bit higher ranked than Unia, but it's gotten much less ratings, and you've got to keep in mind that a lot of people jumped ship when Unia came out and never looked back, so I like to discount most (not all) of the very lower 0.5/5 or 1/5 ratings as power metal purists were being bitter and close minded... This would put the album up to about an ~3.20 avg. Since many of these fans jumped ship at Unia, they're not here to rate down the proceeding albums, TDoG - Ninth Hour, so Unia definitely has an unfairly low score due to a conditional bias.

http://i.imgur.com/ZAX7bpZ.png

^ stats from rate your music, scale of 1-5.

Also, the red curve show that TNH has been the worst received as far as median score goes, reinforcing my belief that this album isn't controversial and divisive, but merely a "meh" effort.

Agreed. I enjoy the album, but I have a wen it described as sounding like a collection of b-side level material. Now do not get me wrong, these are good to great songs. But somehow it's forgettable compared to Unia or Ecliptica.

I do love it a lot. But it doesn't come close to their best.