The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

One more Bruce question.

What is wrong with him? I watched two videos - a documentary from 1987 and the RRHOF induction ceremony. The Bruce of 1987 is gone. In his place is a man that looks angry, sad, and beaten.

Have the years not been good to him?

i know he's become very political.

and it has consumed his whole persona.

he interuupts shows with angry rants now. songs are more often then not.....political now.

Politics eats your soul. it's evil.

Mick

You don't have to tell me. I saw first-hand what it did to a former TRF member.

A good way to put what I picked up on with Bruce is a man who seems bewildered by his disillusionment. It wasn't to turn out that way, and he can't understand how it did.

• Like 1

One more Bruce question.

What is wrong with him? I watched two videos - a documentary from 1987 and the RRHOF induction ceremony. The Bruce of 1987 is gone. In his place is a man that looks angry, sad, and beaten.

i know he's become very political.

and it has consumed his whole persona.

he interuupts shows with angry rants now. songs are more often then not.....political now.

Politics eats your soul. it's evil.

Mick

You don't have to tell me. I saw first-hand what it did to a former TRF member.

A good way to put what I picked up on with Bruce is a man who seems bewildered by his disillusionment. It wasn't to turn out that way, and he can't understand how it did.

The politicl Image started with Born in the USA.

i don't think he's very happy with his country.

At times neither am i.......but i don't let it consume me.

he did.

Mick

One more Bruce question.

He has become a lot more politically motivated in recent years and he also struggled a lot for two decades with a critical lashing after having nothing but praise throughout the seventies and eighties.

I dunno he has changed and I am looking forward to his autobiography this September.

I love Springsteen but I am afraid I have lost any desire to see him live. He is too preachy and personally I don't mind him being like this but I'm not devoted enough to want to pay for a ticket that costs so much to have him sing all my favourite songs with a hint of venom.

Seriously I find his live shows seem to have more of an underlying anger and it's not for me.

I adore the man for many things but I also agree with many of his critics. Politics are harmful.

I've seen it happen both on this forum and to people I know, I don't want to blindly follow an artist whose current career trajectory leaves me less entertained and more tired.

Plus, his last three albums have really underwhelmed me. I love Magic, it has a lot of his political views shining through, but thankfully he has the strength of great songs to make it balanced between thought provoking and entertaining in equal measure.

But that record is nearly ten years old.

• Like 2

I'm reading more about him and his wife and I'm starting to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

It's sad what happens to these people. I do think though that they become very disillusioned when they attain the heights they once dreamed about only to find that it doesn't bring them what they had thought it would. And then they have to keep the momentum going which must cause enormous strain.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I'm reading more about him and his wife and I'm starting to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

It's sad what happens to these people. I do think though that they become very disillusioned when they attain the heights they once dreamed about only to find that it doesn't bring them what they had thought it would. And then they have to keep the momentum going which must cause enormous strain.

Yes. As I said I am looking forward to his book this year. I hopes it's an open and honest read.

• Like 1

Why do i ignore Tom Petty.....constantly.

Dude's awesome.

Hard promises is a great album.

Mick

Petty hits it out of the park more often than not. Really can't go wrong with anything from him.

Some songwriters just always have it and he's one of them.

• Like 1

Pardon me again for interrupting.

Mick, you know everything. Tell me this.

Why was Bruce Springsteen's wife booed when she gave her RRHOF induction thank you speech when she said that she loved Bruce?

i have to wach the clip again but they might have not been booing

his fans like to go BRUUUUUCE.

and it sounds like booing, lol

Micck

That's probably it.

I think back to when star defensive end Bruce Smith played for the Buffalo Bills. Anytime he would get a sack or make a big tackle the fans would all say "BRUUUUUUCE!!!"

It sounded like they were booing which i'm sure might have confused people who weren't fans of the team at times.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Why was Bruce Springsteen's wife booed when she gave her RRHOF induction thank you speech when she said that she loved Bruce?

Micck

That's probably it.

I think back to when star defensive end Bruce Smith played for the Buffalo Bills. Anytime he would get a sack or make a big tackle the fans would all say "BRUUUUUUCE!!!"

It sounded like they were booing which i'm sure might have confused people who weren't fans of the team at times.

i remember first heard it i was like damn......Springsteen fans make up a tough room. :laughing guy:

Mick

Micck

That's probably it.

i remember first heard it i was like damn......Springsteen fans make up a tough room. :laughing guy:

Mick

A tough room full of LOVE!

OK I am done being weird. Lolsies.

So you know Segue my top 5 Petty albums are.

1. Hard Promises

2. Damn The Torpedos

3. Southern Accents

4. The Debut

5. The Last DJ

Mick

I've heard three then I got stuck into Thrice and Khoma.

My bad!

• Like 1

This is now where my list of Rush albums stand:

The Classics:

1. A Farewell To King's

2. Caress Of Steel

3. Moving Pictures

4. Hold Your Fire

5. Fly By Night

6. Vapor Trails

7. Grace Under Pressure

8. Presto

9. Permanent Waves

10. 2112

11. Hemispheres

The Great:

12. Power Windows

13. Signals

14. Snakes And Arrows

The Very Good:

15. Rush

16. Test For Echo

17. Counterparts

I Like But Don't Care Much For:

18. Roll The Bones

19. Clockwork Angels

I find it so much easier to categorise into these four divisions.

I now rank Fly By Night and Snakes And Arrows as classic or great Rush albums. FBN to my ears is a perfect slab of seventies hard rock, it's a rush of excitement and I love the whole record immensely. As for Snakes And Arrows, I even enjoy the filler, if you can call it that. The acoustic parts, the instrumentals, the "I don't care what you think this is how I feel about this" nature of the lyrics, the weird (think Spindrift), the anthems...I JUST REALLY THINK IT'S A GREAT ALBUM!

I might go through stages where I really enjoy Roll The Bones and Clockwork Angels, but of all the Rush albums these two I could live without and not really miss anything (I am glad we have these albums but I am just being honest, I return to these the least and I rarely play any songs in isolation). Signals I know I have trashed before, but then again you know I enjoy most of the songs, the best of which I rank higher than almost everything else they have ever recorded (Losing It, The Weapon, Countdown, the chorus of The Analog Kid, heck...I now love Subdivisions).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

I cannot give any thoughts on Rush. it's been so long.......i just don't know, lol. and i don't care, lol

Mick

I had a mini resurgence of interest and then...back to my Tad Williams novel haha

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

I cannot give any thoughts on Rush. it's been so long.......i just don't know, lol. and i don't care, lol

Mick

I had a mini resurgence of interest and then...back to my Tad Williams novel haha

It's the weirdest thing. my relationship with Rush is like a band i used to like somewhere deep in my past. even though it's just been 6 months lol. which means the seeds are there somewhere for a re-birth.

just not yet, lol

Mick

Mick

It's the weirdest thing. my relationship with Rush is like a band i used to like somewhere deep in my past. even though it's just been 6 months lol. which means the seeds are there somewhere for a re-birth.

just not yet, lol

Mick

I left Thrice, Khoma and Nightwish gathering dust for about four years each. Never rush into anything, just makes it worse!

• Like 1

Mick

just not yet, lol

Mick

I've gone longer than six months without listening to Rush a number of times before. Long gone are the days when I had to listen to them all the time. I've listened to them so much through the years that there isn't much need to always have them on regular rotation.

Their songs are so ingrained in my brain that they are a part of my being. They're in my blood and always with me. So, even when I go through long runs of not listening to them, Rush is still there.

Mick I am falling out of love with Beyoncé. Been a fan now for 18 years, since I first heard Destiny's Child, but her ego is driving me away.

On the other hand I love Rihanna so much it is ridiculous.

Mick I am falling out of love with Beyoncé. Been a fan now for 18 years, since I first heard Destiny's Child, but her ego is driving me away.

On the other hand I love Rihanna so much it is ridiculous.

I don't pay attention to her ego until Lemonade hit.

i know she was hurt.......but come the hell on. now i know music is an outlet....i don't agree with airing that stuff.

I was never a fan of her voice either i'll just say it.

it's good yes.......but woman doesn't know how to use it......i'm sorry, lol

Mick

Rhianna is great........leagues over Knowles.

Mick

Janet Jackson in 1991 kills both of them.

Disagree. Voice is weak.

Now Aaliyah or Whitney Houston on the other hand...

Although personally Beyonce is my favourite up to recently.