The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

It only dropped off because

1. my music listening is very minimal these days (slave to my next love.......pro wrestling at the moment lol)

2. I'm waiting for my partner to get better

BTW.......Radiohead's new album has my heart. Candidate for album of the year. Shall be hard to beat for me.

Mick

What pro wrestling stuff would that be?

just random matches. Example......i watched one of my favs. CM Punk vs. John Cena at money in the bank 2011. a lot bad could be said of Cena but this match was fantastic.

I'm also getting wwe network soon.

Mick

Yeah, that was good. One of the few times in recent years where they built up something exciting. Too bad like so many things the last several years, they never seem to fully capitalize on it. They've been doing OK since the raw after wrestlemania though. They needed a change desperately to their main TV shows and bringing in all these new guys from NXT and having other newer guys the focus is making it really enjoyable for me again.

Do you watch anything else or are you a WWE only guy? There's a lot of other wrestling out there.

i watch Lucha underground ROH and New Japan as well.

Mick

Hell yeah, me too!

Lucha Underground is great. It's that something different wrestling has needed for a long time. A little bit of an ECW and attitude era vibe in the stuff they do as well.

ROH is a good old style wrestling show. They came to my area once but I didn't go since they were at a place that was over a half hour outside the city.

New Japan has a lot of really good matches. Wish all their shows were in English so I could get more invested in the characters and stories. It is funny to hear the Japanese commentators get all excited when you don't have a clue what they're saying though :LOL:

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

1. my music listening is very minimal these days (slave to my next love.......pro wrestling at the moment lol)

BTW.......Radiohead's new album has my heart. Candidate for album of the year. Shall be hard to beat for me.

Mick

What pro wrestling stuff would that be?

just random matches. Example......i watched one of my favs. CM Punk vs. John Cena at money in the bank 2011. a lot bad could be said of Cena but this match was fantastic.

I'm also getting wwe network soon.

Mick

Yeah, that was good. One of the few times in recent years where they built up something exciting. Too bad like so many things the last several years, they never seem to fully capitalize on it. They've been doing OK since the raw after wrestlemania though. They needed a change desperately to their main TV shows and bringing in all these new guys from NXT and having other newer guys the focus is making it really enjoyable for me again.

Do you watch anything else or are you a WWE only guy? There's a lot of other wrestling out there.

i watch Lucha underground ROH and New Japan as well.

Mick

Hell yeah, me too!

Lucha Underground is great. It's that something different wrestling has needed for a long time. A little bit of an ECW and attitude era vibe in the stuff they do as well.

ROH is a good old style wrestling show. They came to my area once but I didn't go since they were at a place that was over a half hour outside the city.

New Japan has a lot of really good matches. Wish all their shows were in English so I could get more invested in the characters and stories. It is funny to hear the Japanese commentators get all excited when you don't have a clue what they're saying though :LOL:

New japan is sick.

Shinsuke Nakamura is my current fav wrestler.

hope wwe doesn't mess him up.

he rocks on NXT.

Mick

• Like 1

http://vimeo.com/159657051

Best. Match. Ever.

Mick

Quite possibly is the best match ever. Nakamura is also my current favorite along with Kevin Owens.

I used to watch Wrestling back in rhe late 80's back in the heyday of Hulk Hogan, Ricky Steamboat, Macho man, Ric Flair, etc. That was some good shit. Now. Its just shit. Imo

Their problem now is too many weekly shows and the champions show up on almost all of them. Back in the day there was less big PPV kind of shows, once every three or four months usually. So, it allowed a chance for the stories and characters to develop more and it got the audience more invested. Champions showed up just to talk shit and defend their titles which made it more special when they were on TV.

The stories move along too quickly in the WWE today and while the wrestling talent is there, the overall show quality in the WWE suffers because of that. Also, Vince McMahon prioritizes making money these days over quality programming.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

http://vimeo.com/159657051

Best. Match. Ever.

Mick

Quite possibly is the best match ever. Nakamura is also my current favorite along with Kevin Owens.

I used to watch Wrestling back in rhe late 80's back in the heyday of Hulk Hogan, Ricky Steamboat, Macho man, Ric Flair, etc. That was some good shit. Now. Its just shit. Imo

Their problem now is too many weekly shows and the champions show up on almost all of them. Back in the day there was less big PPV kind of shows, once every three or four months usually. So, it allowed a chance for the stories and characters to develop more and it got the audience more invested. Champions showed up just to talk shit and defend their titles which made it more special when they were on TV.

The stories move along too quickly in the WWE today and while the wrestling talent is there, thel overall show quality in the WWE suffers because of that. Also, Vince McMahon prioritizes making money these days over quality programming.

Yes. 10 years ago or so I rented the first 3 Wrestlemanias and really got into he behind the scenes and the kayfabe behind it all. Amazing to find out about the real alliances and the comraderie that developed even between people who acted like arch enemies on screen. My friends and I went to several WWF events back in the day and we really loved it. I remember watching with my dad once and during the footage of Kamala the Ugandan Headhunter running thru the fields and what not and hes like 'he's probably from Chicago'. I found out years later he was actually from Cleveland. Pretty close dad, pretty close.

I'm gonna start posting matches for the 2 of you that i know care. everybody can still talk music though.

First one Nakamaura's wwe NXT debut vs. sami Zayn

http://www.dailymoti...-nakamura_sport

Mick

This match and Nakamura against Styles are my matches of the year so far. Don't think either will be topped. If Nakamura goes up against Samoa Joe for the NXT title then there's a chance it could be. That one will be hard hitting. The match with Zayn was great though. The crowd chanting "fight forever" is something i've never heard in 30 years of being a wrestling fan.

• Like 1

I'm gonna start posting matches for the 2 of you that i know care. everybody can still talk music though.

Mick

This match and Nakamura against Styles are my matches of the year so far. Don't think either will be topped. If Nakamura goes up against Samoa Joe for the NXT title then there's a chance it could be. That one will be hard hitting. The match with Zayn was great though. The crowd chanting "fight forever" is something i've never heard in 30 years of being a wrestling fan.

the crowd Knew Nakamura. i wish i could have been there.

I hope that old out of touch Mcmahon doesn't Screw Shinsuke over.

Mick

Mick

Mick

I hope he doesn't either. But they're doing good with AJ Styles right now and most of the recent NXT callups are getting treated decently so far. So, hopefully the same happens with Nakamura. Vince has really lost it if he doesn't see the natural star that Nakamura is.

Mick

Mick

I hope he doesn't either. But they're doing good with AJ Styles right now and most of the recent NXT callups are getting treated decently so far. So, hopefully the same happens with Nakamura. Vince has really lost it if he doesn't see the natural star that Nakamura is.

it's hard to believe it's the same man who dominated in the late 90's.

so glad i grew up in the monday night wars.

NWO hogan made me a fan of him.

i used to HATE cleancut babyface hogan.

much better heel, lol

Mick

Mick

Mick

it's hard to believe it's the same man who dominated in the late 90's.

so glad i grew up in the monday night wars.

NWO hogan made me a fan of him.

i used to HATE cleancut babyface hogan.

much better heel, lol

Mick

He only dominated in the 90s because he had stiff competition from WCW which forced him to be more creative and take more chances. Now that they're the only big name in town, he doesn't feel the need to do that anymore.

I grew up with Hogan in the 80s and I did like him then. Although Andre The Giant was my main guy for a while. I even cheered him over Hogan at their Wrestlemania 3 match. The turn Hogan made to join the NWO was historic though. That's gonna be 20 years ago in a month or two :o

As much as I love Randy Savage, I cheered like a big old fanboy when Hogan dropped the leg on him and turned. I knew how big Hogan turning was. Plus, i've always enjoyed a good heel turn in wrestling and that was the biggest one ever.

• Like 1

Mick

I'll be more than surprised if any other album is my AOTY (album of the year; in case anyone isn't familiar with the acronym) as well. A Moon Shaped Pool is amazing.

• Like 1

One thing I've been putting off for a long time now is My Bloody Valentine's latest album

It's hard to believe it's been three years already since it was released, and I still haven't listened to a single track from it despite finding "Loveless" to be extraordinary.

Maybe I'll get to it tomorrow.

I just started Comalies and Swamped is a 10/10

It is! What was your verdict on the album?

I just started Comalies and Swamped is a 10/10

It is! What was your verdict on the album?

Drunk me gives it a solid 9. But I wasn't able to give it a truly attentive listen. Sober me will at worst give it an 8. But I see it staying the same tomorrow

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 1

Dream Theater Initial Singles Ratings

(because the first single associated with an album tends to be the most important, and is one's first impression)

Status Seeker - Meh

Pull Me Under - Great

Lie - Great

Burning My Soul - Meh

Home - Meh

As I Am - Meh

Constant Motion - Good

A Rite of Passage - Masterpiece

On The Backs of Angels - Masterpiece

The Enemy Inside - Good

The Gift of Music - Masterpiece

This is something I recently noticed with Dream Theater - their singles have been fantastic lately... And while their self-titled album didn't contain any "masterpiece" singles, the album was overall great, unlike... You guessed it, The Astonishing :LOL:

I still have high hopes for their next album, whenever that may come.

Not sure if you are around Mick, but I don't think Delirium will be a favourite of yours, but I will say it is a lot better than I expected, and the three songs released so far sound ever so much better as a part of the album experience.

But I still recommend it.

In other news, I was pleasantly surprised by the new Radiohead. I will try Kid A soon.

Hey Segue, whose feet are these?

http://img215.imagevenue.com/loc84/th_153511124_d7d8b438073f11e3b15c22000a9e06ef_7_122_84lo.jpg

Cristina. I know because I used to worship her feet.

Is that weird?

Erm...

http://img215.imagevenue.com/loc84/th_153511124_d7d8b438073f11e3b15c22000a9e06ef_7_122_84lo.jpg

Is that weird?

Erm...

csyyqoofz2n1v031ubc0.gif

In my teens I used to look at wikifeet all the time...I have issues haha

Is that weird?

Erm...

No, it's not weird.

Ever single inch of the beautiful Cristina Scabbia should be worshiped.