DVD Trouble

Lorraine

I'm not sure what the problem is with our DVD player. Maybe someone here can help.

When I put in either a DVD or a CD, the playback is spotted. It's impossible to listen to unless you want to get a massive headache. The voice goes in and out as if it is spurting along. I don't know how else to describe it.

Is it that the DVD player is going, or could it be another problem that I can easily fix?

I'm not sure what the problem is with our DVD player. Maybe someone here can help.

When I put in either a DVD or a CD, the playback is spotted. It's impossible to listen to unless you want to get a massive headache. The voice goes in and out as if it is spurting along. I don't know how else to describe it.

Is it that the DVD player is going, or could it be another problem that I can easily fix?

If you have tried multiple DVD's CD's it's the player.

Kill the power, reset.

If still problems it might be dying.

DVD players in computers are notorious for crapping out pretty easily. Luckily they're also very easy to replace.

Try to set again the audio output options in the player menu; maybe there's something in conflict

Where would I find that?

It makes a horrid grinding noise too when it is starting up.

Check and make sure the tray is going in and out correctly and isn't out of alignment.

• Like 1

Try to set again the audio output options in the player menu; maybe there's something in conflict

Where would I find that?

Check and make sure the tray is going in and out correctly and isn't out of alignment.

Assuming you have used the player often?

Age of the PC?

It may have had a part broke off. Sadly most DVD/CD trays in PC's are loaded with tiny, flimsy plastic parts that break off.

• Like 1

If we are speaking of a DVD player installed in a PC you should find something in the jungle of options you can find when you open the program you use to watch / listen.

If it's a table player search for those audio options in the player menu using the remote control

Where would I find that?

I think one side is off as it moves easily and the other side doesn't.

Like I already said, the player makes a horrible grinding noise when you put a dvd in.

Where would I find that?

I think one side is off as it moves easily and the other side doesn't.

Like I already said, the player makes a horrible grinding noise when you put a dvd in.

That's probably why. If they get even slightly out of alignment it messes up how it reads the disc.

It's a rebuilt Dell computer that a friend of mine sent me - Optiplex GX620 Tower

You could get a replacement DVD player and stick it in there. I've had to replace several of them on Dell computers. It's just a matter of unplugging it inside the tower and plugging the new one in.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

My husband will fix it as he uses it a lot.

Good thing most of my Rush stuff is on my little stick. :)

There is a joke in here somewhere

• Like 3

Thanks everyone.

Lorraine, you might also want to think about making a backup of those files on another data stick thingee. I've had those die on me, too...it would be potentially devastating to lose your Rush.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

Lorraine, you might also want to think about making a backup of those files on another data stick thingee. I've had those die on me, too...it would be potentially devastating to lose your Rush.

Oh no kidding. They can just die for no reason. Good to have a backup for sure.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for mentioning that. I would be devastated if anything happened to it. It's 32Gs and 95% of my Rush stuff is on it including the bootlegs. Quadrophenia is on it too.

Someone on here suggested that to me a while back. They said if I buy another stick at a place like BestBuy, they will transfer the stuff for me from the other stick onto the new one for free if I ask them.

I've been putting off getting my hair cut for weeks now. Next week I am going to go do that and stop by BestBuy too.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for mentioning that. I would be devastated if anything happened to it. It's 32Gs and 95% of my Rush stuff is on it including the bootlegs. Quadrophenia is on it too.

Someone on here suggested that to me a while back. They said if I buy another stick at a place like BestBuy, they will transfer the stuff for me from the other stick onto the new one for free if I ask them.

I've been putting off getting my hair cut for weeks now. Next week I am going to go do that and stop by BestBuy too.

Do you have space on your computer's hard drive for copies as well? Maybe make a folder on your computer's desktop called Rushfiles, drag copy everything from your data stick/thumb drive into that folder; then when you buy your new thumb drive, just drag that file into it. Then you'll have multiple copies of everything.

I don't know how much space we have left, and I forgot how to check to find out.

How would I "drag copy" something on the stick onto the desktop?

Just click on the file and hold down the mouse button - then as you move the mouse it will move (drag) the file. When you release the button, it will place a copy of the file in a new location, and if it's a big file you'll see the little copying screen.

edit - single click, but instead of just tapping the button, hold it down.

Edited by toymaker

It will still be on the stick though too, right?

This stick is one of my few treasures. I don't want to mess anything up on it.

I'm pretty sure that when you drag a file from the stick, it's a copy, not a move. Another approach is to right click the file, then select "copy" from the list. Then, go to your new folder/location, right click and select paste.

Edited by toymaker