Most Boring Concert

toymaker

The very last concert I ever went to in 1988 - The Moody Blues - who had fallen so far away from what they had once been it wasn't amusing. And it was an exceedingly boring concert.

from what it sounds like, every moody show after a certain year is a sad, sad snoozefest. I had a teacher who was a big fan and saw them in the 90s and he said he fell asleep.

The very last concert I ever went to in 1988 - The Moody Blues - who had fallen so far away from what they had once been it wasn't amusing. And it was an exceedingly boring concert.

from what it sounds like, every moody show after a certain year is a sad, sad snoozefest. I had a teacher who was a big fan and saw them in the 90s and he said he fell asleep.

And Edge himself always looks like he's about to pass out on the kit. Whatever little he plays.

Mick

They haven't changed their set list in probably fifteen or more years. They do one week of rehearsal before a tour starts. They are now touring almost all the time for money.

Graeme started losing strength in his arms in the early nineties due to an injury. so they employed Gordy to do backup. Initially he had lots of enthusiasm, but now he looks bored as hell too.

They gave poor Ray the heave-ho in a ruthless manner and found a woman that plays the flute as well. But she no longer looks happy either.

Justin still can sing. Somewhat. But his voice cracks at times and he can't hold long notes the way he used to.

Not sure how good John ever was as a bass player, but he's the only smiling face on stage.

It's pitiful. That's what I think of when I read how so many here want Rush to keep going - I think of The Moody Blues, or what's left of them.

You don't want that to happen to Rush.

The Moodies ended to me when Ray left/was booted Can't realy replace him.

Mick

• Like 1

And Edge himself always looks like he's about to pass out on the kit. Whatever little he plays.

Mick

They haven't changed their set list in probably fifteen or more years. They do one week of rehearsal before a tour starts. They are now touring almost all the time for money.

Graeme started losing strength in his arms in the early nineties due to an injury. so they employed Gordy to do backup. Initially he had lots of enthusiasm, but now he looks bored as hell too.

They gave poor Ray the heave-ho in a ruthless manner and found a woman that plays the flute as well. But she no longer looks happy either.

Justin still can sing. Somewhat. But his voice cracks at times and he can't hold long notes the way he used to.

Not sure how good John ever was as a bass player, but he's the only smiling face on stage.

It's pitiful. That's what I think of when I read how so many here want Rush to keep going - I think of The Moody Blues, or what's left of them.

You don't want that to happen to Rush.

The Moodies ended to me when Ray left/was booted Can't realy replace him.

Mick

He was the most genuine one too.

• Like 1

HIM.

On record, the band are sexy, cool, eloquent and soppily cheesy, all bouquets of flowers and blood red glasses of wine.

On stage, they are unmovable. As in, standing the whole gig in one place, whinging about how bad alcohol is, mocking ones sex appeal and then turgidly rolling through the setlist as if they were bored out their minds.

I payed for my ticket Ville Valo...I will buy your albums and trade lyrics of yours for a first date, but never, EVER will I suffer through another boring gig of yours.

I still love you though, just not live.

I guess I haven't seen a band I actually liked that turned out to be boring

Yeah, I kind of agree with this. I can't think of anybody I was ever bored to see play. Plenty of bands I've seen that I'd never see again, but that's just a matter of my evolving tastes.

• Like 1

REM had very little stage presence in spite of Stipe's weirdness. He kept doing this sort of weird Hitler salute, and Buck had this odd gait, lifting his leg really high like he was trying to step over a log or something. That got old quickly. There must have been some background visuals, but I just remember wanting it to be over.

I was never a really big REM fan, but sometimes you just have to go along with what your friends/girlfriends/etc. want to do . . .

You guys don't know boring until you've seen a ton of industrial/electronic bands. Many of these bands are just one or two guys onstage with laptops or samplers (they are described as "laptop bands") and often have NO stage presence. Think about it--two guys standing there, looking at their laptops, not looking at the audience, no jumping or dancing around, and they are not even actually playing their own music! BORING. Edited by x1yyz

You guys don't know boring until you've seen a ton of industrial/electronically bands. Many of these bands are just one or two guys onstage with laptops or samplers (they are described as "laptop bands") and often have NO stage presence. Think about it--two guys standing there, looking at their laptops, not looking at the audience, no jumping or dancing around, and they are not even actually playing their own music! BORING.

I guess you need some stimulant help for that kind of situation?

• Like 3

Sawyer Brown, a friend of my wife drug us and it was painfully loud and mixed poorly--couldn't hear the different instruments, just a wall of noise.

I took my daughter to one republic last summer and I thought it was going to be horrible--but it was actually a lot of fun.

Pearl Jam- Vs. Tour 1994

Having spent the entire 1980's going to over 100 shows, seeing every act imaginable, I got 2 tickets to Pearl Jam on the Vs. tour.

While I had the 2 PJ Cd's at the time, I was just too damn old, and did not understand the fans excitement.

I attribute it to growing up with Big stages, GUP lasers, Pink Floyd's floating animals, Iron Maiden with Eddie running around, Kiss breathing fire

This was 5 guys playing with 1 spotlight, it was just lost on me.

1st time at age 27 I felt too old for a concert

The odd thing with PJ fans is that most don't go ALL the theatrics other bands can do in their shows. Remember they are grunge fans just the bare scale back minimum is what the look for.

Biggest dissappointment had to be....

Metallica....Capital Centre, MD I think it was 97' the tour where they had 2 drumkits and 1 long stage on the middle of the floor. They had some guy look like he got burned on fires and another fall for the wiring above. Too much distortion and too much crap (theatrics) other than music. First time out of 12 shows I saw Metallica fans sitting for most of the show including me.

George Clinton and the P-Funk Allstars....9:30 Club 2006....way too many people on stage, no order, no consistency and total confusion. Maybe they were ALL just too high. In 2007 though they rocked the same club for 2:30 minutes and a show I'll never forget.

Guns and Roses.....90' RFK Stadium....Monsters of Rock Tour....GnR came on last after Metallic rocked RFK, my neck still hurts after that show. They did there best but maybe I just wasn't into them at all back then. Besides GNR took forever to get their asses on stage. We didn't leave RFK till 2:30-3 in the morning. Their best stuff/moments was other people's music.

Sly and The Family Stones....Boston 74'....would have been my first concert ever in 74 as a child but a riot broke out and the show was cancelled. Also WAR opened for him now when I look back that would have been one hell of a show.

Living Colour2006....9:30 Club Washington DC....Must have a bad night cause I kept looking at my watch the whole night. I liked 2 songs "Flying" and "Cult Of Personality". Vernon Reid had acoustic/guitar problems and went on with this 12 guitar solo thing which turned out to be a waste of time. I saw them back at the 9:30 Club and they played their asses off, maybe they recalled how much of a disappointment they were earlier.

Ziggy Marley......2004..College of Arts Savannah GA....He put me to sleep literally. He didn't acknowledge the crowd or the night (Valentine's Night), no energy and just plain bland. I went backstage and sat on a couch and chatted with the opening act Michael Franti and his band Spearhead.

I saw Ziggy after the show talking his road crew stuck a conversation and told him how it appeared he made no effort to connect with the audience. The next night in Orlando he made that connection and his show was much better as I danced backstage with Stephen Marley, his sisters, Damien Marley and Micheal.

That's about it.

Peace

The odd thing with PJ fans is that most don't go ALL the theatrics other bands can do in their shows. Remember they are grunge fans just the bare scale back minimum is what the look for.

Why is that odd? Any band who need theatrics in order to put on a decent show are completely worthless in my book. If they're worth their weight in anything, they can get on a stage, stand perfectly still, play their music and captivate. THAT is what it's about...not toys and lasers and videos....

• Like 2

I think it fair to say that some bands are much better in the studio than they are live, and vice versa.

Nothing wrong with that. Sadly, some of my favourite bands were firey on stage, The Doors and early Van Halen for example, and sadly I will never experience that.

I love The Doors studio work, but Morrisons smokey voice and the bands whisky soaked anthems scream for a live setting, and sadly I will never have the chance to see that (although from what I have seen of them, they sadly didn't always let the music speak for itself on stage. A great shame if you ask me).

• Like 1

Why is that odd? Any band who need theatrics in order to put on a decent show are completely worthless in my book. If they're worth their weight in anything, they can get on a stage, stand perfectly still, play their music and captivate. THAT is what it's about...not toys and lasers and videos....

I wonder if that depends on the type of music? I'd love a Rush show without the visuals, but their music is just so interesting and complex that you want to see them partly just to see them pull it off - that's the sort of heroic part. It's part of the reason that people are fixated on Lee's vocals these days. He can't quite pull it off, and that's a drag (although some of us still think he's doing amazingly well in that area).

Agree to a point. I saw Muse live, and it featured robots and some silly gymnastic performance in a floating bubble, and Matt Bellamy barely concentrated on his guitar. I hated the experience. Hindsight has not left a good impression.

Bands like Iron Maiden need it, because they come alive with the music and the theatrics. But otherwise, I want to see the band. Nightwish are great, they really come alive onstage, with so much personality they need little else but a fan to keep Floor's hair blowing (adds to her firey prescence).

• Like 1

I think it fair to say that some bands are much better in the studio than they are live, and vice versa.

Nothing wrong with that. Sadly, some of my favourite bands were firey on stage, The Doors and early Van Halen for example, and sadly I will never experience that.

I love The Doors studio work, but Morrisons smokey voice and the bands whisky soaked anthems scream for a live setting, and sadly I will never have the chance to see that (although from what I have seen of them, they sadly didn't always let the music speak for itself on stage. A great shame if you ask me).

you'd get pissed on by Jimbo :laughing guy:

Mick

• Like 1

The trifecta. Dylan, The Doors and The Dead... :sarcastic:
  • Like 2

It's not really odd, in my case I can go with as much theatrics as a band wants to put into their shows. Just as long as it works with and is incorporated with the music. All theatrics and the music sucks and I'm going to be bored. The music to me is what drives a show. I also can go to a show and absolutely enjoy a show with no theatrics whatsoever as I've seen with PJ. EVedder drives the band, anything else that's added to the show is a plus.

My first concert was the Isley Brothers in 78' a superb show, the only theatrics I can remember was smoke. Then sometime later that year was my first rock concert was KISS. I wasn't into their music but what a crazy, loud over the top show that was. I've never seen them since but they seem to thrive on theatrics more so than music.

• Like 1

Bands like Iron Maiden need it, because they come alive with the music and the theatrics.

Maiden absolutely does not NEED the theatrics. Yeah, they're fun, but they would totally hold their own without them.

I wonder if that depends on the type of music? I'd love a Rush show without the visuals, but their music is just so interesting and complex that you want to see them partly just to see them pull it off - that's the sort of heroic part. It's part of the reason that people are fixated on Lee's vocals these days. He can't quite pull it off, and that's a drag (although some of us still think he's doing amazingly well in that area).

What do videos and lights have to do with them pulling off the music? Isn't seeing that impressive enough on it's own? Again...the extra stuff is fun, but if they were to play a club, all stripped of production and just performing the songs, they'd still blow the roof off the place.

• Like 1

The trifecta. Dylan, The Doors and The Dead... :sarcastic:

My uncle.......who is the biggest Dylan nut i've met........walked out on a show, lol

Mick

My eldest brother got dragged to a Dylan "show" many moons ago by a friend of his. I will never forget his review when he got home... :facepalm:
  • Like 2

You guys don't know boring until you've seen a ton of industrial/electronic bands. Many of these bands are just one or two guys onstage with laptops or samplers (they are described as "laptop bands") and often have NO stage presence. Think about it--two guys standing there, looking at their laptops, not looking at the audience, no jumping or dancing around, and they are not even actually playing their own music! BORING.

I'd jump in front of a train before I paid $$ to see someone spin records.

I do not get it at all.

• Like 1

Mick

That's for sure. He was never sober or straight. If he wasn't drunk, he was on heroin. What a waste of talent.

• Like 2

I'm waiting for one of the grumpy old Rush fans who hate anything after Moving Pictures to come in here and say one of their concerts post-1981 was boring ;)
  • Like 1

Mick

That's for sure. He was never sober or straight. If he wasn't drunk, he was on heroin. What a waste of talent.

Jim is one of the reason's i dislike the doors.....just doesn't come as likeable at all.

Mick