Jump to content


Cinco de Mayo is a scam for Americans


  • Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 12444 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    Packers, Brewers & Badgers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, Bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    The Universe!!

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

View PostGeddy Jazz, on 07 May 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

The real problem i see with all these arguments is that most people thinks something you get at Taco Bell is a taco....nope. It is  not a real Taco..... :finbar:

Americanized versions of Mexican food, Italian food, and Asian food in particular, are hilariously fraudulent.

Sponsored Post

#82 WorkingAllTheTime

WorkingAllTheTime

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 2018 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas
  • Interests:Writing code for the priests of Syrinx.

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:55 PM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 07 May 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

View PostGeddy Jazz, on 07 May 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

The real problem i see with all these arguments is that most people thinks something you get at Taco Bell is a taco....nope. It is  not a real Taco..... :finbar:

Americanized versions of Mexican food, Italian food, and Asian food in particular, are hilariously fraudulent.

Taco Bell barely passes for food.

And, yes, Americanized versions of all of those foods are, well, Americanized versions of said food.

Truth be told, I much prefer American Chinese over *actual* Chinese... I have never seen so many chicken feet, fish eyes, and lazy susans as I have seen in Chinese (as in located in China) restaurants.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime, 07 May 2015 - 08:55 PM.


#83 WorkingAllTheTime

WorkingAllTheTime

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 2018 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas
  • Interests:Writing code for the priests of Syrinx.

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

View PostKhan, on 07 May 2015 - 10:31 AM, said:

The difference between drinking on Saint Patrick's Day and drinking on Cinco De Mayo is...nobody pretends to be a Mexican.

(all in fun)

Exactly.  

And while I trust you say it in fun, the problem is many, many, MANY people in our society don't.

The ironic history lesson is this:  About 100 years ago, many felt the same way about St. Patrick's Day.  The truth of the matter is Mexican, or Latin American in general (although many Americans don't understand the key difference there), immigrants are not the first or only immigrant community to face this kind of soft bigotry.  They are merely the most recent.

#84 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

    Big Hat Funny!

  • Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:48 PM

View PostWorkingAllTheTime, on 07 May 2015 - 08:55 PM, said:

View PostPrincipled Man, on 07 May 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

View PostGeddy Jazz, on 07 May 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

The real problem i see with all these arguments is that most people thinks something you get at Taco Bell is a taco....nope. It is  not a real Taco..... :finbar:

Americanized versions of Mexican food, Italian food, and Asian food in particular, are hilariously fraudulent.

Taco Bell barely passes for food.

And, yes, Americanized versions of all of those foods are, well, Americanized versions of said food.

Truth be told, I much prefer American Chinese over *actual* Chinese... I have never seen so many chicken feet, fish eyes, and lazy susans as I have seen in Chinese (as in located in China) restaurants.
When I lived in Denver, I used to eat at a Real Chinese place, because actual Chinese people were in there eating. Awesome food.
Used to have Chow Fun. Here in Florida it's regular Chinese, girl told me 'No Chow fun, we no buy big noodle, that for fancy Chinese place'........
Who knew there was a difference

#85 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

    Coach Cheesehead

  • Members
  • 21420 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lost in Xanadu (aka WI)
  • Interests:Drinking, smoking, drugs, Justin Bieber, lying on the internet.

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:45 AM

Olive Garden does Italian right!!



#86 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

    Big Hat Funny!

  • Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:08 AM



#87 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 47765 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:16 AM

How come there aren't any Polish Restaurants?  Kishka for all.  Saturday night Kielbasa specials.  All the pigs feet and sauerkraut you can eat with a Seagram's 7 chaser.

What's up with this discrimination?

I detect some latent racism here.

#88 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

    Big Hat Funny!

  • Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:48 AM

View PostLorraine, on 08 May 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

How come there aren't any Polish Restaurants?  Kishka for all.  Saturday night Kielbasa specials.  All the pigs feet and sauerkraut you can eat with a Seagram's 7 chaser.

What's up with this discrimination?

I detect some latent racism here.
Only Polish restaurants I ever saw were in Chicago.

Which was to be expected.

#89 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 47765 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

I saw one in Los Angeles almost thirty years ago.  I wonder if it is still there?

#90 ILSnwdog

ILSnwdog

    King Of Car Porn

  • Members *
  • 50368 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago Suburbs
  • Interests:My kids. Music. Cars. Sports. Snowmobiling. Just about anything outdoors.

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

View PostKhan, on 07 May 2015 - 10:31 AM, said:

The difference between drinking on Saint Patrick's Day and drinking on Cinco De Mayo is...nobody pretends to be a Mexican.

(all in fun)
Ever notice who is behind the promotion for said holidays?
Posted ImagePosted Image
It's a conspiracy!  :o

Edited by ILSnwdog, 08 May 2015 - 01:10 PM.


#91 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

    That's Itâ„¢ Sig

  • Members
  • 16026 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:iEarth
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

I don't know anyone who thinks it's Mexican Independence Day on May 5.  Like all things american all are welcome to join in the revelry.  Relax and have a drink and chill.  No need to worry about historical significance or accuracy when you're having fun.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users