Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:27 PM

I'm going to rebel and go Italian.

Sponsored Post

#22 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:35 PM

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 05 May 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 05 May 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

View PostDigital Dad, on 05 May 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

View Postbathory, on 05 May 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

I dunno shit about cinco de mayo and I dunno anyone who truly celebrates it. I've only ever seen white people talking about it on facebook, and even then it's just complaints about alcohol consumption.

if someone wants to eat a taco and drink a beer today without knowing the "meaning" of the holiday, I don't care.

Thats me every day!!!
It does not need a holiday, It's already called Tuesday
Shuck it Trebek!
What is ...uh..The Merchant of Bombay?

#23 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:35 PM

View PostLorraine, on 05 May 2015 - 04:27 PM, said:

As you should. This is America.
We have a choice

#24 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 48050 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:59 PM

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 05 May 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

We have a choice
Land of the free.  :madra:

For now.

#25 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 69063 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:49 PM

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 05 May 2015 - 12:04 PM, said:

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 05 May 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

Everybody asking 'Am I eating Mexican tonight?'. Why?? I'm not Mexican. I eat Mexican food when I WANT Mexican food.
Then they say "Well, it's Mexican Independence day"...Well 2 thoughts, 1-I'm not Mexican, AGAIN, and 2- IT'S NOT MEXICAN INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!!!
Contrary to popular believe, Cinco de Mayo is NOT Mexican Independence day.
Mexican independence is celebrated on Sept.16.
Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over the French forces of Napoleon III on May 5, 1862, at the Battle of Puebla.
So you are celebrating 1 battle victory, in the many battle victories of Mexican history.
So if you ARE of Mexican decent, enjoy your day, celebrate your heritage.
But don't involve us
Funny how many people don't know that. A Mexican woman my wife works with actually said it was Mexican Independence and my wife corrected her.

Yeah...Mexicans are dumb, unlike Americans...every one of which knows exactly what July 4 is recognizing.  ;)

#26 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 69063 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:49 PM

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 05 May 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

We have a choice
...to be racist.

#27 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 80239 posts
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:59 PM

This is the dumbest "holiday" ever.   Beating the French in a battle?    Why is this worth celebrating?

#28 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 69063 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:29 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 05 May 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

This is the dumbest "holiday" ever.   Beating the French in a battle? Why is this worth celebrating?
Against all odds...a fledgling democracy defeating one of the most powerful nations in the world?  After an epic cry for independence from a priest?

Racist troll is racist.

#29 pjbear05

pjbear05

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2858 posts
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:55 PM

View PostrushfanNlv, on 05 May 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

Have a taco and be happy.
Have a cerveza or two and be happier!  Negra Modelo, por favor.

Edited by pjbear05, 05 May 2015 - 09:55 PM.

#30 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:14 PM

I did not have any Mexican food today.

I was too busy shopping for Narodowe Święto Niepodległości

That is POLISH independence day.

November 11th will be here before you know it

#31 WorkingAllTheTime

WorkingAllTheTime

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 2018 posts
  • Interests:Writing code for the priests of Syrinx.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:16 PM

Everybody asking 'Am I eating Mexican tonight?'. Why?? I'm not Mexican. I eat Mexican food when I WANT Mexican food.
Then they say "Well, it's Mexican Independence day"...Well 2 thoughts, 1-I'm not Mexican, AGAIN, and 2- IT'S NOT MEXICAN INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!!!
Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over the French forces of Napoleon III on May 5, 1862, at the Battle of Puebla.
So you are celebrating 1 battle victory, in the many battle victories of Mexican history.
But don't involve us

Anyone who agrees with this and has also...

A) Ever wore green or otherwise behave like drunken schmuck on March 17

or

B) Participated in anything remotely related to anything German or Oktoberfest in October (this includes listening to an AOR station promoting "Rocktoberfest")

or

C) Otherwise participated in a similar lame, pseudo cultural, bastardized historical  celebrations such as Chinese New Year, Valentine's Day, Mari Gras, or even Halloween

.... is a straight up hypocrite.

Sorry, but the truth hurts.

Hatred toward a lame construct because it is "Mexican" without equally bashing the same social constructs presented in support of other ethnicities or beliefs is either bigoted or ignorant to our collective social foolishness.

I will let everyone either point me to the same threads bashing all of those events or I will let everyone who agrees with the comment above make their own personal choices on the root of their reality....

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime, 05 May 2015 - 10:23 PM.

#32 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:35 PM

View PostWorkingAllTheTime, on 05 May 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

But don't involve us

or

B) Participated in anything remotely related to anything German or Oktoberfest in October (this includes listening to an AOR station promoting "Rocktoberfest")

or

C) Otherwise participated in a similar lame, pseudo cultural, bastardized historical  celebrations such as Chinese New Year, Valentine's Day, Mari Gras, or even Halloween

Hatred toward a lame construct because it is "Mexican" without equally bashing the same social constructs presented in support of other ethnicities or beliefs is either bigoted or ignorant to our collective social foolishness.

I will let everyone either point me to the same threads bashing all of those events or I will let everyone who agrees with the comment above make their own personal choices on the root of their reality....
The point is most people do not understand the Holiday. Clearly you MISSED the point
But you were correct. Most people do not understand St. Patricks Day religious importance.
I will caution you however, you are in San Antonio, a HUUUGGGEEEE Mexican city.
Don't get defensive sweetheart
I did not say 'Hatred'-- DO NOT PUT WORDS I did not say on ME PAL.
If encouraging people of a certain ethnicity to celebrate THEIR day is hatred...I'm missing something

#33 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 80239 posts
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:37 PM

But don't involve us

or

or

How about if we don't agree and haven't done any of a,b, or c (well, I have listened to an AOR station during Rockoctoberfest, but it shouldn't count if you rolled your eyes every time the DJ said it)?  What then?

#34 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 80239 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:39 PM

View Postgoose, on 05 May 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

This is the dumbest "holiday" ever.   Beating the French in a battle? Why is this worth celebrating?
Against all odds...a fledgling democracy defeating one of the most powerful nations in the world?  After an epic cry for independence from a priest?

Racist troll is racist.
It's still France.   It's like winning the WAC in football.

#35 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:41 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 05 May 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

But don't involve us

or

or

How about if we don't agree and haven't done any of a,b, or c (well, I have listened to an AOR station during Rockoctoberfest, but it shouldn't count if you rolled your eyes every time the DJ said it)?  What then?
Why am I craving a Guinness , Bratwurst and Nachos Now???

#36 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 80239 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:44 PM

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 05 May 2015 - 10:41 PM, said:

But don't involve us

or

or

Why am I craving a Guinness , Bratwurst and Nachos Now???
And some REO Speedwagon?   How about Roll with the Changes?

#37 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 69063 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:51 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 05 May 2015 - 10:39 PM, said:

Racist troll is racist.
:lol:

Back on the topic of dumb celebrations...when will we end the "God Bless America" at baseball games thing?

#38 WorkingAllTheTime

WorkingAllTheTime

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 2018 posts
  • Interests:Writing code for the priests of Syrinx.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:52 PM

But don't involve us

or

or

Then you get the craziness of our social traditions.  More examples:

Turkey on Thanksgiving?  Nope.  The proteins they ate were fish and venison.

Decorating a Christmas tree?  Um.  That's actually a modified pagan tradition.

Easter bunnies and eggs?  Yeah... more modified pagan traditions... this time ancient symbols of spring rebirth and fertility.... not to mention the absurdity of a 6 foot tall rodent breaking into your house to hide boiled, colored eggs.

We are a crazy, mixed up conglomeration of goofy half-truths and cultural abductions.  My point is let's just embrace it all, or none of it.  And, trust me, Hallmark is going to make sure we embrace it.

#39 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 80239 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:52 PM

View Postgoose, on 05 May 2015 - 10:51 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 05 May 2015 - 10:39 PM, said:

Racist troll is racist.
:lol:

Back on the topic of dumb celebrations...when will we end the "God Bless America" at baseball games thing?
Not a minute too soon.

#40 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:54 PM

View PostWorkingAllTheTime, on 05 May 2015 - 10:52 PM, said:

But don't involve us

or

or

Then you get the craziness of our social traditions.  More examples:

Turkey on Thanksgiving?  Nope.  The proteins they ate were fish and venison.

Decorating a Christmas tree?  Um.  That's actually a modified pagan tradition.

Easter bunnies and eggs?  Yeah... more modified pagan traditions... this time ancient symbols of spring rebirth and fertility.... not to mention the absurdity of a 6 foot tall rodent breaking into your house to hide boiled, colored eggs.

We are a crazy, mixed up conglomeration of goofy half-truths and cultural abductions.  My point is let's just embrace it all, or none of it.  And, trust me, Hallmark is going to make sure we embrace it.

Are there Cinco de Mayo cards?
Because if there is not, I am calling Hallmark Right NOW!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users